Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs of Hip Displasia in Golden Retreiver?

• 31-08-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All..

We got our Goldie about 7mths ago - the odd time he seems a bit weak in the back legs, will fall down steps occasionally but at first we put this down to being clumsey as he is a pup but its starting to happen more frequently.. I know the breed can be prone to Hip Displasia, what are the signs? do I need to be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, that doesnt sound great.

I would bring the dog to a vet for a check up just to be sure. Have you got the dog insured? If not i would highly recommend you sort insurance before you make this visit because it could cost you a small fortune if it is H.D. and you arent insured.

Do you mind me asking were the parents Hip scored? Did you see the results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How old is the dog and how much exercise is it getting? My guy was like this when he was younger. He has a hock deformity but at the same time his buddies of the same age were the same - tripping up etc when they were running cos their puppy legs couldn't keep up lol! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Orthopedic and/or muscular problems can be really expensive, so if you think there is something up please get your dog insured. Most insurance companies will not cover pre existing illness (or illness that arose within 2 weeks - depends on the company - of the insurance policy being taken out) and it can end up being a major financial strain if there is something wrong.

Weakness in back legs is not a good sign at all, especially if it is getting more frequent or pronounced as the dog gets older. Any signs of stiffness, reluctance to jump/climb up onto things (the couch, into the car, up stairs etc.) and the "swing" walk (where the dog moves its whole pelvis as opposed to rotating the joint properly - gives them a swinging bum) are other things to look out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Another thing it could be is pano/growing pains depending on the dogs age. Is he carrying much weight? Any probs with back legs like this means you need to keep the dog SKINNY and be able to easily feel their ribs and see a tummy tuck

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Heya,

I agree with previous points about Insurance definitely, we're currently fighting with ours about our Labrador being insured for Hip Dysplasia because of a similar yet unrelated problem she saw the vet for within 14 days of policy starting, so if you get the dog insured try to hold off on any vet visits at all until the 14 day period is over.

As for symptoms of Hip Dysplasia, the 'swinging bum' walk is what ours has it's quite obvious so look out for that. Also sitting awkwardly on the back legs and the leg affected most at the moment is sort of bowing when she walks. I'd say get xrays done anyway, but like I said be careful with insurance, and they xrays should tell you for sure if the dog has it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

We noticed something similar with our Labrador pup. Fear of jumping up/ down from things, falling on her side when she tried to sit, and her 'model' swagger were all the first signs. We used to think that she was really lazy. She would walk for ten minutes then lie down and refuse to move. She'd look like she was ready to go asleep, this happened one day crossing the road! thankfully we realised soon enough and stopped taking her on long walks.

Insurance is a definite. We hadn't thought of it before the dog was diagnosed. Unfortunately she had elbow displasia which had caused osteoarthritis. She had to get an operation on both elbows which cost over 1000es. As for the hip displacia, we couldn't afford the two operations (3000 per hip) but the vet said that the dog will be okay after she reaches a year old. The condition will eventually become severe but she should be okay.

The sooner the better for the dog with regards diagnoses so that she can be treated properly and relieved of any pain that they might be in. Insurance is essential though if you want the best for it.

Advertisement