Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shropshire Light Infantry

• 31-08-2011 12:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for information on the King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
    The 1st Batallion was stationed in Tipperary in August 1914 and the 3rd (Reserve) batallion was stationed in Crosshaven, Cork in 1917 and Fermoy in 1918.
    The reason for the search, is that I have come across some buttons and pips in an old sewing box. 4 of the buttons were easily identified as from the SLI but there is one I can't identify at all and one - the Star of the Order of Bath which I think might be connected to the Irish Guards. The one I can't identify (probably an epaulette pin) is a simple acorn over oak leaves with no inscription.
    I'm trying to figure out if the buttons etc. belonged to the one soldier, possibly by the name of Adair, or if they were a random collection.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

3 Tipperary men died in WW1 with the SLI.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

South Notts Hussars had a badge with Acorn and Oak Leaves, one unit based in Ireland during WW1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Nottinghamshire_Hussars

Any chance of a photo of the badges?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hopefully this is visible[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

far right is an officers pip worn on shoulder epaulettes. In WW1, single for 2nd Lt, 2 for Lt, 3 for Captain after which start adding crowns. Pre 1902 was a slightly different arrangement. For Irish Guards it would be Order of St Patrick rather than Order of Bath.

2nd from left looks like the South Notts Hussars badge.

Any forename or other info re Adair?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

far right is an officers pip worn on shoulder epaulettes. In WW1, single for 2nd Lt, 2 for Lt, 3 for Captain after which start adding crowns. Pre 1902 was a slightly different arrangement. For Irish Guards it would be Order of St Patrick rather than Order of Bath.

2nd from left looks like the South Notts Hussars badge.

Any forename or other info re Adair?
    Many thanks for the info JD. I am still looking into the name but my gut feeling is that the OH's great grandmother must have done a bit of uniform repair. The buttons were in her sewing box and seeing that the buttons come from three different regiments, it's unlikely they belonged to one soldier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement