Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks Pale Ale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm scared. As Smithwick's is a poor ale, this new one will be a poor pale ale. This won't help Galway Hooker or O'Hara's to expand to pubs across Ireland, this is Smithwick's seizing a new trend and looking at cornering the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Thought it was pretty good, a bit watery but at least its a bit hoppy. If some micro was making this the reviews from a lot of people would be a lot more positive I think. Some people could not bring themselves to even taste it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Had some Smithwick's PA in Freeney's, High street, Galway.

I think it was 3.85 or 3.95.

The barman said they should have gone for a real ale, hand-pumped.

Also available around the corner in the Dail bar on Cross street, but priced at lager prices 4.65.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    The barman said they should have gone for a real ale, hand-pumped.
    And yet I bet if one of the Irish breweries which does offer hand-pumped real ale were to offer it in that pub they wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had a bottle of it last week and thought it was actually quite nice. It reminded me of a watered down Galway Hooker. I'd definitely have it on a night out if there was nothing else of note available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Haven't tasted this yet even though I was planning to, because I wasn't in any pubs its sold in that dont sell real craft beer apart from Whelans, they ran out of Galway Hooker I asked for this and they had ran out too, was in local Tesco, Spar and Superquinn which don't sell it, they have it in Redmonds but with all the delicious ales in there I couldn't bring myself to try it! Seems odd that they restrict the supermarkets they sell to.

Seems odd that they restrict the supermarkets they sell to.
    Supermarkets expect big volume and consistent supply. This is a test batch. There probably isn't very much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Had a few pints of SPA last night in the Leonard's Corner.

Better than what I expected; not as good as what I had been told about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Had a few pints of SPA last night in the Leonard's Corner.

Better than what I expected; not as good as what I had been told about.

What? your contradicting yourself you nounce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

What? your contradicting yourself you nounce

Not really, he had low expectations, even though someone he knew said it was very good, he just didnt trust that persons opinion.

Whats a nounce?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mayto wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty good, a bit watery but at least its a bit hoppy. If some micro was making this the reviews from a lot of people would be a lot more positive I think. Some people could not bring themselves to even taste it :rolleyes:

That's always going to be the way. Some people won't drink blue moon because it is made by coors and the smithwicks label in their mind instantly puts them off.

It would be interesting to see what results it gets in a blind tasting.

Ultimately I suppose it is a pleasant pale ale that doesn't have the strongest of flavours. But sometimes suble is better and I wouldn't mind trying it a few more times before making up my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Unless the pubs can sell this at under 3.50 a pint it will never take off.Tuborg is doing well now decent enough pint at under 3.50 and its the only way its going to compete.If your charging 4.50+ for a pint of this new stuff it hasent got a chance.Too many lagers on the market to begin with anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

oblivious wrote: »
    Not true I much preferred bottle Guinness over draft , difference serving it on nitro makes the beer bland, but its something marketing likes as it make it "more approachable"

Guinness draught in bottles is nitrogenated I thought?

I don't think "Guinness Draught" in bottles exists any more. But yes, it was nitrogenated via a widget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭redlead

Finally got around to drinking this. I was very very disappointed. An absolutely rubbish pale ale which doesn't taste too different from a bad lager. It's a real shame because Pale Ales are probably my favourite drink at the moment and I thought that I would finally have an acceptable drink when in normal pubs. It must be very demoralising to be the head brewer in these places. What goes through their heads when they release this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I ordered a pint of smithwicks in the Locke bar in limerick on saturday night and your man goes "which one, pale or red"? I looked at him like he had two heads but quickly realised there is a new smithwicks.

I got it for the laugh. I generally don't like pale ales, but this is nice enough, therefore i'd imagine people that actually do like pale ale will find this too bland.

i take the point this is a big brewery trying to bully their way into an emerging market so i sympthaise with the microbreweries trying to get their beers, which are at least as good as the bigger rivals, getting their stuff out.

I had a bottle of o'haras in North County Dublin trendy bar and it was 5.50 so never again.

I had a bottle of o'haras in North County Dublin trendy bar and it was 5.50 so never again.
    I bet you it was still cheaper than most of the other bottled beers they had. The problem is that bottles, all bottles, are stupidly priced in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭redlead

i take the point this is a big brewery trying to bully their way into an emerging market so i sympthaise with the microbreweries trying to get their beers, which are at least as good as the bigger rivals, getting their stuff out.

They are a hell of a lot better than "as least as good". There is no comparison!

I payed 6.70 for a bottle of O'Hara's in Fitzsimons on Saturday night! It's more my fault for going there though. 5.50 for a 500ml bottle in a pub isn't bad as bottle go. Bottles in gerneral are just a rip off in Ireland unfortunately. I just stick to draught when I'm out now and try to go to porterhouse or against the grain. O'Neills on suffolf st have the most impressive selection of craft draught I have ever seen actually. I don't know how they manage to fit all the taps. It's a handy pub because they have all the main stream stuff too for any mates that prefer that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Just picked up a bottle of this to try later tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think "Guinness Draught" in bottles exists any more. But yes, it was nitrogenated via a widget.

Never even saw them in Ireland, thought they where just for th USA, I saw something somewhere (maybe the guinness website) that said it was supposed to be drank straight from the bottle, which contained this spear type thing that spins in the bottle as you drink making "each mouthfull creamy" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

HOw many years ago were Guinness promoting the 330ml draught bottle of guinness, aimed at the yuppy and night club crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

Just had some, had to say wasn't expecting much after all the criticism here, being bland etc. I normally go for microbew's myself, Ales, IPA etc. However, I found this one surprisingly good. It wont blow you away with hops like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo, but is still tastier than any of the normal range available on tap in most pubs. And thats a good since not every town and suburb has somewhere like "Against the Grain" nearby, and these average pubs cant be convinced to stock interesting beers.

As for it being a very tasteless "pale ale", there are lots of beers out there with less flavour calling themselves "Pale Ales", e.g. Coopers and Moosehead.

It reminded me more of "Blonde Beer" styles I've tasted. You can definitely taste the hops, but could do with more maltiness.

All that said, its not as interesting as the microbrew range available, and I hope it doesnt eat into their market share, or dent their growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I see the posters everywhere but I've been in a few different pubs over the last few weeks and nobody seems to have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Had a bottle of it tonight while doing the dinner.

Not the worst beer ever but the weirdest thing is the minute I opened it I knew it was Smithwicks.

It's not over hoppy but good entry level for people to start down that road.

I will stick to my usual hoppy Irish beers but if I end up in a pub that don't have a good choice I might go for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I will stick to my usual hoppy Irish beers but if I end up in a pub that don't have a good choice I might go for this.
    I feel the same. It's definitely no Galway Hooker or Metalman but it's better than Carlsberg or Budweiser if you want something other than a dark beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Had a pint of this last week and didn't think it was great.

However... had a large bottle of it last night and was very impressed, I thought it was a really really nice mild tasting Pale Ale, will definitely be buying it again.

I think Smithwicks missed a huge opportunity in marketing this though, they should have given it a brand new name but kept some Smithwicks branding on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

That's always going to be the way. Some people won't drink blue moon because it is made by coors and the smithwicks label in their mind instantly puts them off.

It would be interesting to see what results it gets in a blind tasting.

Ultimately I suppose it is a pleasant pale ale that doesn't have the strongest of flavours. But sometimes suble is better and I wouldn't mind trying it a few more times before making up my mind

Great post mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

very poor i thought. water with tiny hop taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I wonder how many of the negative comments that are here are because of the smithwick's name?

Someone here do a blind taste, with the group and report back

Advertisement