Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks Pale Ale

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

With O'Neills of Suffolk Street and the Palace Bar trailing behind, but good options if you are out and about.
    Yeah, depends whether you're after Nice Pub or just Big Selection. I'd include The Palace, Bowe's and The Long Hall if you want a classy boozer and are content to stick with one decent beer. Though now that I think of it, The Palace is graduating beyond that now.
    The BeerMap is excellent. Does it use the same data as the Beoir iPhone app/Beoir directory?
    Nope. Totally independent and a different emphasis. The Beoir Directory/App aims to be exhaustive: to have every pub that sells Irish craft beer. BeerMapping is more "if you were bringing a visiting beer geek around, where would you go?", so is much more selective and takes imports into account.

There's an Android app based on BeerMapping here. No idea if it's any good though. I know where I'm going, see :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Tons mate, if your living in Dublin nowadays there's no excuses to drink the big industrial lagers anymore.

city centre maybe. the suburbs are still devoid of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Bigcheeze wrote: »

I don't drink in the suburbs, they tend to be boring pubs anyway. Great transport system in Dublin means one is never more than 30 mins from a good pub with craft beer. Like anything else you have to put a small bit of effort in, the same way as when I want to see a good arthouse or indie movie I have to head to IFI or Screen not the suburbs, you cant expect everything to be on your doorstep, I wish there was proper beer in the suburbs too of course.

I can only find craft beer outlets in Harold's Cross, Dalkey, Glasnevin, Bray, Skerries, Drumcondra, Sandycove, Monkstown, Malahide, Clontarf, Cabra, Howth, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Rathmines, Lucan and Dundrum. But the rest? Forget about it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

BeerNut wrote: »
    I can only find craft beer outlets in Harold's Cross, Dalkey, Glasnevin, Bray, Skerries, Drumcondra, Sandycove, Monkstown, Malahide, Clontarf, Cabra, Howth, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Rathmines, Lucan and Dundrum. But the rest? Forget about it :rolleyes:

Sounds great when you put it like that but most of the suburbs you've listed "tick the box" as in one establishment might stock one or two bottled beers. Reality is you need to drink in the city centre to have a decent selection of craft beer.

I'm not whining...just calling it like it is :)

• Advertisement

just calling it like it is :)
    There's a big gap, IMO between "devoid of choice" and lacking "a decent selection". One or two craft beer taps in normal pubs is the way the beer revolution will happen -- is happening -- and I think the suburban pubs who take that step deserve to be supported. There isn't room for an Against The Grain on every street.

Though of course, I'm not telling you where to drink, not while I watch Sean MacD's go past the window of the 54A on my way to the Bull & Castle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Ah L.Mulligan grocer will spend some time there, just noticed it on the map and relised i was in there before a GAA game years back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Was reading an article from the Sept 2011 issue of Licensing World (Publican trade publication) titled 'Smithwicks joins Craft Revolution' and just wanted to throw up a few quotes some may find interesting, Billy Power, Global quality and programme director for Guinness Global at Diageo says

"There seems to be a market misconception right now that craft means small. Thats not what the category is truly about, in fact to my mind there are is a real danger to producing these 'craft' beers in a small shed"

I dont know what it is about it, they are covering themselves but its just unwarrented bashing suppose thats business though.

He then goes on to give the lads on the beoir forum a little bashing saying

"when our product was announced..... there was outrage on the beoir.org forum that a mainstream producer was 'attempting to jump on the bandwagon'......... It seems however that now the ale has gone on sale in a scattering of Irish pubs the criticism has died down and it has garnered fans on beoir.org......... taste it seems has prevailed"

He then goes on to say that diageo has access to the best raw materials and the most experienced brewers etc etc etc.

Still Licensing World has given the irish microbreweries a quaterly special in the magazine and put out an article on consumer perspective by Sean Billings from Beoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Not a fan of the stuff......If your going to make a pale ale, make a pale ale....doesnt a pale ale need to be at least something like 25 IBUs?? I didnt find the beer anywhere near that bitter!! Infact, personally I couldnt get the taste/smell of amarillo hops at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

I love smithwicks and Drink about 10-15 pints of the stuff every weekend...I also love trying different Ale's a bottle hear or there From off licences etc...

I was slightly dissapointed by this its very fizzy and tastes too much like a lager in my opinion in saying that its not a bad taste and certainly better than the other 4/5 lager's that are availble on draught..Nice creamy head aswell ...certainly an option but not I think for Ale drinkers...Ill stick to my Smithwicks or McCardles..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just back from my usual Saturday afternoon beer shopping. I have a selection of beers chilling and will try the Smiths Pale Ale first as I favour stronger flavoured beers and don't want them to dominate the taste.

Will report back shortly.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Just back from my usual Saturday afternoon beer shopping. I have a selection of beers chilling and will try the Smiths Pale Ale first as I favour stronger flavoured beers and don't want them to dominate the taste.

Will report back shortly.

I am dissapoint! :(

Very little flavour at all although it is better than most main stream beers. This is my first beer of the night so my tastebuds haven't been smothered by stronger flavoured beers. I would give it a go on draught in a pub if I
    saw it but won't be buying it in bottled form again.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

@MCMLXXV where did you purchase Smithwicks Pale I cant find it anywhere??

I cant find it anywhere
    Have you checked the list?

@beernut I have checked thanked you, but a lot of the off licenses listed near me do not in fact stock it. I am about to pop out and check the nearest one now.

Molloys in Nutgrove but I really wouldn't bother. Better off with the 6 for €12 beer selection in Superquinn. ;)

Just returned from Molloys in Nutgrove and having a bottle. First impression is that it is quite bland but will give it a chance. Thanks for the help locating it guys btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

BeerNut wrote: »
    Have you checked the list?

I have checked 5 places on that list and none have it, or ever had it. I think in the IT industry that'd be called vapourware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Just returned from Molloys in Nutgrove and having a bottle. First impression is that it is quite bland but will give it a chance. Thanks for the help locating it guys btw.

From the guys calling it bland, can you please tell me what you are comparing it against?
    The only thing that I have against it is the gas level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

From the guys calling it bland, can you please tell me what you are comparing it against?
    The only thing that I have against it is the gas level

Compared to Howling Gale Ale, Galway Hooker or O'Hara's Pale Ale, it's quite bland.

• Advertisement

Also Metalman Pale Ale, which uses the same hops.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Also Metalman Pale Ale, which uses the same hops.

Seconded. Metalman is a quality beer. Their Windjammer is one of the nicest beers ever!!.
    (Cue angry disagreement hijacking thread)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Galway pale ale? very meh

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Molloys nutgrove

Blackjack wrote: »
    Compared to Howling Gale Ale, Galway Hooker or O'Hara's Pale Ale, it's quite bland.
    exactly all the above are far superior I intend on trying Smithwicks Pale on draught today though just to confirm

You asked for comparison. Its all a matter of taste to be honest.

Haven't heard of it.

Do you mean Galway Hooker Pale Ale? Or one of the beers from Galway Bay Brewery?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

free sithicks pale ale offer from radio ring 1800 pale ale and wait for the blurb to finish then it rings thru to someone who asks a few age questions ... they deliver you 4 free bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

free sithicks pale ale offer from radio ring 1800 pale ale and wait for the blurb to finish then it rings thru to someone who asks a few age questions ... they deliver you 4 free bottles

Wait, what?

• Advertisement

Cork area only at the moment.

Advertisement