Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation and wiring

• 31-08-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Thinking of laying down some new insulation in the attic.

The house is old and the current insulation is a bit crap to be honest.

Two questions, whats the story with insulation and wiring? at the moment the wires just kind of lying on top of the existing stuff.
    It would seem to make sense to me to NOT to put new insulation on top of wires.

Also its a low roof, barely enough room to stand up in, so the job could be a bit of a hassle, do i really need to strip out the old insulation? or can i save time by just throwing the new stuff down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in the same situation ... I'm in a bungalow and I'd really like to replace / improve the current attic insulation, but the wiring, and also some of the central heating plumbing criss-crosses the attic like a demented spider. It also suffers from being a low roof, and access to all but the central area demands Houdini like skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Leave the old stuff where it is, the more the merrier, you should be looking to achieve at the very least 200mm thickness but don't compact it.
    If the house is old and the wiring is original then the cables should be assessed for condition considering its age. I definitely wouldn't cover cables carrying heavy current (immersion, cooker, electric shower, even kitchen sockets) but ordinary sockets and lights under light load seem ok (not official approval). Best get a leccy to check the existing wiring and calculate safe load ratings when buried under deep of insulation.

Advertisement