Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you dread leaving your dog in kennels? Can't decide what to do.

• 31-08-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

My hubby and I are off on hols for two weeks on Saturday. I really, really hate leaving my dog in a kennel, it gets to the stage where part of me nearly dreads going on holidays.

The last couple of years haven't been so bad, because we left her with my in laws. She loves it over there, gets plenty of walks, gets to sleep inside and sits up on the couch all evening between my MIL and FIL! Sounds perfect right? Only problem is, I worry about the security of their house. It is on a busy road (in fact, I had a puppy killed over there on the road 5 years ago). I know that 99% of the time, she follows my MIL around and doesn't go near the road, but my FIL let slip that she followed him onto the road without him noticing the last time she was there. Like I say, 99% of the time I know she is safe, but it only takes one car and one time on the road for things to end in tragedy.

We have her booked in a kennel, it's a nice place, the guy that runs it is nice and my dog gets on with his dog. But when it comes down to it, it's still a kennel and she would be sleeping in an outdoor kennel at night (she normally sleeps in our room). Plus, she hasn't been there in two years and I am worried she will be very lonely.

My hubby wants to leave her with his folks, but I know I would be worried about her safety. On the other hand, I know she loves it there and would have a great time.

I really can't decide what to do. I wish I could bring her with me, but we are going abroad. I know there will be tears on Friday one way or the other, but just want her to be happy but more importantly safe for the two weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thankfully I've only had to leave her at a kennel once before. I have family who can stay here while I'm ever away. Make sure the dog has all there shots up to date. Also check on kennel cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

It's a tough one, but if you are concerned about her safety it might not be worth the worry,and if anything did happen you wouldn't forgive yourself or the inlaws..If she's been to the kennel before and she likes the owner i would go with it. My own dog sleeps inside all the time too and i do feel a bit guilty sending her to kennel but i know she is well looked after and i can go away with a clear mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

For me, i would pick security over familiarity. I couldnt relax knowing there was even a small chance my dogs could get onto a road and be possibly knocked down.

Kennels are not that bad and some dogs have a ball so i would try and get some recommendations for some in your area maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

andreac wrote: »
    For me, i would pick security over familiarity. I couldnt relax knowing there was even a small chance my dogs could get onto a road and be possibly knocked down.

Kennels are not that bad and some dogs have a ball so i would try and get some recommendations for some in your area maybe.
    +1 this is why my guy is going to kennels. I have somebody I could leave him with but they're just so lax i'd worry the whole time. That said i'll probably worry anyways!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

My girl hates kennels, she is so upset going in so we haven't put her in one in over a year and our very good neighbour looks after her if we are away. He is very security concious and won't let her off lead ever, I really trust him with her as he knows the dangers of having pets knocked down.

That said if the security is lax at your in laws then I would have no hesitation at choosing kennels in this situation. Yes your dog will be in for a change in circumstances but at least he will be safe and secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I just needed re-assurance that I wasn't a bad mother :D. I know her security is the most important thing, and while the in-laws mean well, they just wouldn't be as fussy as me, and my girl is clueless about the road. She would run straight in front of a car. I hate leaving her in a kennel, but at least I know she will be there waiting for me when I get back in two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

We have a great kennels locally, the owner has 5 dogs of her own, horses, pigs, and always at least 4 other dogs there at any one time. All the animals wander around her backyard during the day and she's miles from a main road and they swim in a river every day so it's brilliant.

Our dog has a hesitation the moment she realises we're leaving, but then she sees the other dogs, recognises the lovely owner and she's off. She's normally a nervous enough dog and staying in the kennels has done wonders for her confidence, she comes back a little bit more confident each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What's the name of the kennels Acoshla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I feel your pain - kennels are more secure but I always hated leaving mine there and I know when I picked her up again that she didnt enjoy herself. It ruined numerous holidays as I felt guilty. My mum minded her once but she let her out an open door and it took her an hour to find her again - stressful for everyone involved! it got worse when I got my second dog - hes a total softie and i knew the kennel environment just wouldnt work for him.

I use dog sitters now - a bit more expensive but worth every penny. At least I know my dogs are safe and secure in their own bed at night. Rg. I recently went away for a week - I was quoted €340 for kennel for the tow of them (eight nights as we got home last on the return day). Dog sitter was €500. As they wont be in kennels going forward, no kennel cough booster needed - saving of €100 (between 2 dogs). Thats an extra €60 for peace of mind. I got regular texts and photos as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Our Cocker has been going to the same kennels for 13 years :) Hes going back there next week for a couple of nights and its breaking my heart! He is sick at the moment (liver cancer). Although he is fine day to day and has outlived the vets predictions, I'm just afraid something will happen him. So he is going to see the vet tonight for a checkup to make sure he is happy and healthy(ish) before he heads up there! I would definitely choose the safe surroundings of a kennel than getting someone to keep an eye on him.

• Advertisement

carleigh wrote: »
    Our Cocker has been going to the same kennels for 13 years :) Hes going back there next week for a couple of nights and its breaking my heart! He is sick at the moment (liver cancer). Although he is fine day to day and has outlived the vets predictions, I'm just afraid something will happen him. So he is going to see the vet tonight for a checkup to make sure he is happy and healthy(ish) before he heads up there! I would definitely choose the safe surroundings of a kennel than getting someone to keep an eye on him.

So sorry to hear about your dogs illness Carleigh, my girl is a cocker too, they're just the best aren't they???

I'm 100% sure Libby knows when we are going away and is extra cute in the weeks leading up to it so that I feel even worse leaving her!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Well, hopefully Jake wont realise where he's going til we get out the road! Like your dog, he usually takes the hint when he sees suitcases coming down from the attic so takes to sulking for a few days! But we are only going away for 2 nights to my brothers wedding so he shouldnt suss that out :) The place he goes to is great, and the lady who runs it breeds Cockers herself so she knows all about dealing with scratchy ears and brushing etc, he really likes her. He goes up with his little wheely bag with his bed etc so technically its like a holiday for him too! Try not to feel too bad about leaving your girl, you'll get no peace when you come back, she'll be all over you for days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You're doing the right thing :)
    It might be more familiar with the in laws, but it sure doesn't sound safer, and I think that's more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ncmc wrote: »
    My hubby and I are off on hols for two weeks on Saturday. I really, really hate leaving my dog in a kennel, it gets to the stage where part of me nearly dreads going on holidays.

The last couple of years haven't been so bad, because we left her with my in laws. She loves it over there, gets plenty of walks, gets to sleep inside and sits up on the couch all evening between my MIL and FIL! Sounds perfect right? Only problem is, I worry about the security of their house. It is on a busy road (in fact, I had a puppy killed over there on the road 5 years ago). I know that 99% of the time, she follows my MIL around and doesn't go near the road, but my FIL let slip that she followed him onto the road without him noticing the last time she was there. Like I say, 99% of the time I know she is safe, but it only takes one car and one time on the road for things to end in tragedy.

We have her booked in a kennel, it's a nice place, the guy that runs it is nice and my dog gets on with his dog. But when it comes down to it, it's still a kennel and she would be sleeping in an outdoor kennel at night (she normally sleeps in our room). Plus, she hasn't been there in two years and I am worried she will be very lonely.

My hubby wants to leave her with his folks, but I know I would be worried about her safety. On the other hand, I know she loves it there and would have a great time.

I really can't decide what to do. I wish I could bring her with me, but we are going abroad. I know there will be tears on Friday one way or the other, but just want her to be happy but more importantly safe for the two weeks.

would you not consider a home stay kennels? i wouldnt leave my cocker in standard style kennels he doesnt like being along etc... so he stays with my dog minder in her home as part of the family... its a bit more expensive etc but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I would be going with the security also. I know if anyone minding my dogs allowed them to go on a road I would probably never speak to them again:pac:. I am sure it will be harder for you than her!

I have big problems with my dogs now as i dont want them sleeping outside in a kennel , they are on home cooked diets as they cant eat anything else, cant be left near any other dogs, have to be kept quiet and not allowed gallop about much and now I need one of them to wear a boot when she is out on the lead:(:(. Try finding someone to deal with all that;)

Tillygirl did you end up using four paws hotel in Tipp yet?

cocker5 wrote: »
    would you not consider a home stay kennels? i wouldnt leave my cocker in standard style kennels he doesnt like being along etc... so he stays with my dog minder in her home as part of the family... its a bit more expensive etc but well worth it

I'd love to, but any I have heard of is really expensive. I am in Cork and the only one I know of is Creedons Doggie Daycare in the city. It sounds fantastic, but it would have cost me €450 for the two weeks and in addition, she would have had to go to the daycare 3 times to make sure she settled. So all told, it would have cost over €500, which we just can't afford.

Does anyone know of any home stay kennel in Cork that might be a bit cheaper?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    What's the name of the kennels Acoshla?

Riverside Kennels I think, about 10 minutes outside of town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I left mine in a place near my mams house for two nights lately while my sisters wedding was on and I wasnt one bit happy. Lexi came back and was obvious she hadnt been exercised at all. She had bitten through Ozzie's collar and they hadnt even noticed! So hard to find a good place.

We have a really good place but its over an hour away from our house which isnt always practical. She does home boarding and was fostering Lexi before we got her so Lexi loves going there, there are two rotties there and she loves playing with them! She will be there for a week at the end of the month and the small two will be going to my mams all going well. Cant afford to leave all three in for a week and Lexi needs more exercise than my mam can give her.
    ppink wrote: »
    Tillygirl did you end up using four paws hotel in Tipp yet?

I did, found them ok but nothing more than the usual kennel block. The water bowl was filthy in Lexi's kennel.
    Acoshla wrote: »
    Riverside Kennels I think, about 10 minutes outside of town.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ncmc wrote: »
    I'd love to, but any I have heard of is really expensive. I am in Cork and the only one I know of is Creedons Doggie Daycare in the city. It sounds fantastic, but it would have cost me €450 for the two weeks and in addition, she would have had to go to the daycare 3 times to make sure she settled. So all told, it would have cost over €500, which we just can't afford.

Does anyone know of any home stay kennel in Cork that might be a bit cheaper?

To be very honest thats seems very expensive.... my home stay is with a lady in wicklow and she charges €20 per day....

http://www.petsit.ie/pet_professionals/Cork/19.html

also call your vet... they may loads lots of home stay.... thats what i did
    these may help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

TillyGirl wrote: »

I did, found them ok but nothing more than the usual kennel block. The water bowl was filthy in Lexi's kennel.

Surprised about the water, we never found anything like that. The kennel block is as with most I suppose.

ours loved it there though. they used to get some fab walks through all the fields and woods.

• Advertisement

TillyGirl I would highly recommend the place we go, it's €12 a night but when we had her there for 2 weeks she dropped it to €10, for the company she gets and the exercise and care it's great. And she's great for drop off and pick up, not rigid about them like some places are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

My dog loves the kennels until she realises we're leaving her. She's always in a good mood when she comes back, supposedly many dogs go into a sulk after it's owners arrive back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Honestly I don't dread it at all. Both of my dogs just love going to kennels. One is a foster who tends to pine when I'm away overnight, and even he loves going up.

I'm very very lucky in that these kennels are the first and only I've used and I couldn't be happier with them. I would imagine it's very difficult to leave your dog somewhere when you're not 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I too found a good kennel first time, rates are a bit high, €32 for 2 dogs, but well worth it for piece of mind. The place is like a little house, heated inside with beds by heat.Fresh bedding daily, clean bowls twice a day, the doggies get to play together fully supervised in small groups. There's 3 enclosed play ares for different sized dogs. The lady is very good at picking dogs that will get on. She even has those plastic padding pools for the hot days in summer.
    Every time she has vids of the dogs playing and out in the field on walks (although she told me when let off, my boy won't come back without a piece of chicken).
    I often get offers to mind my two, but 1. I'd be afraid something would happen with them getting out or being off lead, etc. 2. My boy suffers from ODD (odd):D I wouldn't put anyone through his strange habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Roxbb

There is plenty of home boarding places around at the moment you just need to check that the person running it not only has a love of animals but they should have some knowledge of dog behaviour and if possible canine first aid but this is just my personal belief....my dogs are my babies and if I had kids I wouldnt leave them somewhere without the person having some professional training experience... In fairness kennels have come along way from years ago but i suppose main thing is to always check the place out first whether it's home boarding or kennels..... Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We use this one : Laurel Walk Boarding Kennels

He's actually a friend of ours running it (its our dogs in the pictures :)) They are small but really well done. All state of the art stuff. Our dogs love it, we always say they are going on their holidays too. When they see Alan they get all excited (and while he's a friend of ours he only sees these dogs at the kennels really) He's in Macroom but if that's not convenient he can come and pick up your dogs (free of charge of course :))

cocker5 wrote: »
    To be very honest thats seems very expensive.... my home stay is with a lady in wicklow and she charges €20 per day....

http://www.petsit.ie/pet_professionals/Cork/19.html

also call your vet... they may loads lots of home stay.... thats what i did
    these may help :D

Sorry Cocker5, I should have been clearer, Creedons charge €25 per day which includes all day in doggie day care and then one of the workers takes the dog home in the evening. With the way my flights are and the fact that I don't live in Cork City, I would have had to leave her on Friday morning and not collect her till the Monday evening. So that would have been 18 days at €25 and then 3 days daycare to trial that she would have settled at €17 per day. It's actually pretty good value considering the amount of attention the dog gets. But I just can't afford it at the moment.

Thank you for posting that link, some great looking places there. I had never really heard of home stays before, so will definitely be checking them out before my next holiday. I would love to find a place that I was 110% happy with. Even the nicest outdoor kennels make my heart sink a little.

Have to leave her tomorrow :(, really dread it, but I know she will be fine and most importantly, she will be safe.

Advertisement