Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathay Pacific??

Options
  • 31-08-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, did anybody fly with Cathay Pacific from Heathrow to Perth via Hong Kong?

Are they good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I haven't flown with them myself but I'm booked to go Heathrow, Hong Kong, Auckland on the 1st of October. When I people in the know that I'm travelling with CP, they have unanimously told me I won't be disappointed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I flew with them when I moved to Oz in 2007 and they were awesome. Couldn't say a bad word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I flew with them when I moved to Oz in 2007 and they were awesome. Couldn't say a bad word.

I flew with them when I moved to Oz in 2007 and I'd never fly with them again. They gave me and the OH food poisoning with poorly reheated meals and treated us like dirt as we puked and shook through hours on a flight between heathrow and Singapore. We were an inconvenience to them.

Never getting a red cent of my money again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

They have by far the cheapest prices around at the moment so I am also thinking of doing the Hong Kong to Perth route with them next month.
    They are E300 cheaper than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Likewise have had some great deals with them over the years. Some aircraft in flight entertainment is a bit dated compared to Singapore Airlines, Thai, or BA/Qantas but all in all i had no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

I flew from frankfurt-Hongkong-Melbourne with them in july and can honestly say they are the best airline i've ever used, couldnt fault them from their ground staff to the cabin crew, they couldnt do enough for you and we flew with a 2 year old but they did everything possible for us without being asked.
    As far as inflight entertainment goes, there were as much, maybe more to watch than i had on my portable hard drive including new release movies and full seasons of tv shows.

I hadn't heard of them before i flew and now I really dont think i'll fly with anyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ainseo

Beware Cathay Pacifics non reclining seats. I flew with them from Auckland to London via Hong Kong in June of this year. The seat back is fixed and the seat cushions slide forwards which has the effect of slumping you down in the seat. There is no head support in this position and should you be fortunate enough to nod off you will be woken within minutes as your head jerks forward - just in time to wipe the drool off your t-shirt. I'm a champion sleeper but I couldn't overcome this obstacle. They're not on all planes however and I believe they're being phased out. Try checking seatguru.com before you book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Sounds like one of the older A340s that I was on. It was good that people couldnt recline into your face but I didnt get much of a sleep either.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Just booked my trip home next year with them. They are definitely the cheapest at the mo.

Travelled with them previously, Dublin to Auckland. Dont think they are as good as Singapore Airlines, but a billion times better than Air France! Did think the water they brought on board in hong Kong looked a little brackish. Service is good, but they did "run out of wine" after the meal. Meal was OK.

Hong Kong airport is quite nice. Way down the back of one of the terminals is a lounge you can book into even travelling economy, have a hot shower, an hours sleep a bite to eat and the net! Well worth it if your transiting, I had 3 hours between my flights. Its a quiet airport not so many options as Singapore, but clean and easy to get around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

pclancy wrote: »
    Sounds like one of the older A340s that I was on. It was good that people couldnt recline into your face but I didnt get much of a sleep either.

I got a rear bulkhead seat once and couldn't recline myself and had the guy infront in my face for most of the flight :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

kiwipower wrote: »
    Just booked my trip home next year with them. They are definitely the cheapest at the mo.

No they aren't, not by a long shot. I'm booking a flight from Melbourne to London in December, CathayPacific are charging AUD2,026 and AirAsia are only charging AUD996.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

No they aren't, not by a long shot. I'm booking a flight from Melbourne to London in December, CathayPacific are charging AUD2,026 and AirAsia are only charging AUD996.

All depends where & when you are flying to and from. They where expensive when I checked them out online. When I went to USIT they where over €500 cheaper! Not often that happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snozz

On the same note does anyone know if Cathy Pacific will charge to bring a bike back from New Zealand? A friend of mine is bringing one for me and I dont want here to get landed with crazy charges at the airport :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Surely your friend would be better off stripping it down and shipping it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snozz

WAAY too expensive due to the dimensions - about 300 euro !!!

Advertisement