Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

coloured water on top of silage pit

• 31-08-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

hi folks.Just wondering if anyone can provide an answer to this. Took a walk up on top of 1st cut silage pit yesterday and i have lots of little puddles of reddish water a bit like as if it came off a roof. Only thing is there is no roof near it. Is it coming off the tyres ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Free industrial Sulphur, Any heavy industry within 20km. Its an added cost nowadays having to apply sulphur since the clean up of industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Free industrial Sulphur, Any heavy industry within 20km. Its an added cost nowadays having to apply sulphur since the clean up of industry.

Maybe, but more likely a growth of a pigmented alga in the stagnant water

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bigted2

LostCovey wrote: »
    Maybe, but more likely a growth of a pigmented alga in the stagnant water

LC
    would agree with that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I've seen some spectacular algal blooms in my time, greens, blues, pinks,browns. Indeed I have photos somewhere. I must root them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A nice colourful bloom!

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    A nice colourful bloom!

Lovely photo. Those blue-green ones are very dangerous. I remember reading in the paper a few years ago that a woman had two dogs that ran into a lake with this in Westmeath I think, and they never came out - died in minutes from it.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

Many thanks to all replies - am very grateful for your ideas/theories. I have a feeling the sulphur one could be the reason as there is a quarry and cement block business about 10 clicks away

kenny d wrote: »
    Many thanks to all replies - am very grateful for your ideas/theories. I have a feeling the sulphur one could be the reason as there is a quarry and cement block business about 10 clicks away
    That's scary it must be a kip. Amazing to think it could be droppping visible amounts of sulphur over a 10 km radius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

You'd be surprised how far sulphur and other particle emissions are carried. Acidification of lakes in scandinavia in the 60s and 70s were caused by emissions heavy industry in eastern and central europe. Right now in Galway there's a station monitoring the quality of air coming in from the atlantic. The only pollutants coming from there are from USA, transatlantic pollutants in other words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

The business is definitely not a poorly run facility. Indeed I would go as far as to say that it would be run very well as far as modern up to date enviromental issues are concerned.Guess it just goes to show that we can't be sure of what is in the air !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Well as described above if it on my pits is definitely Sulphur as I live quite close to very heavy industry. Amounts of sulphur have really declined in the last few decades and nowadays we spread quite allot of sulphur on our lands to keep crops moving, long ago this was unheard off

Advertisement