Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishes that can be frozen

Options
  • 31-08-2011 2:06pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭

The Lady is due in two weeks, and is looking at cooking a few dishes now, and freezing them. She did a little search and told me that all she could freeze is shepards pie and lassagne. Boring. I'm not mad on either. Can I get a few suggestions here as to what other dishes I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can easily freeze bolognese & similar italian sauces, curries, chilli, stews. Any dish with a decent liquid content really. You may want to stay away from highly flavoured dishes if your lady plans on breast feeding.

The good folk over in the Parenting/Pregnancy fora may be able to offer more advice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Bolognese, curry (chinese, thai/grean red), stew, chicken casserole
    Anything really with a sauce will defrost ok left in a fridge the night before :D

I prefer to cook pasta/ rice/ potatoes on the night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

beertons wrote: »
    The Lady is due in two weeks, and is looking at cooking a few dishes now, and freezing them. She did a little search and told me that all she could freeze is shepards pie and lassagne. Boring. I'm not mad on either. Can I get a few suggestions here as to what other dishes I can do?
    If you wait to get things underway, a good chilli will suffice, working on our first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Spag Bol
    Meatballs
    Any curry
    Chilli con carne
    Beef/ Lamb Stew
    Casseroles
    Soup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

As previous posters have said, you can freeze pretty much anything you can think of. The Americans are crazy about it(of course they tend to have massive freezers to store all these meals in too) try googling "freezer meals" or "make ahead freezer meals" for some ideas. Here's one blog that had me boggle eyed with her organisational skills-46 meals made in 4 hours to be frozen!! Oh to have the freezer space :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

There was actually an article on Time about a week ago on just that topic where people were cooking once a month and freezing everything :eek:

They linked to Food.com who have a list of 7,000 recipes that can be cooked ahead of time and frozen so you'll probably find something there :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

thanks for all the suggestions. herself tore into the cooking yesterday, and didn't listen to any of what i relayed to her. only one meal from 12 was sauce based. why she asked me, i'll never know. i don't like the look of any of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

beertons wrote: »
    thanks for all the suggestions. herself tore into the cooking yesterday, and didn't listen to any of what i relayed to her. only one meal from 12 was sauce based. why she asked me, i'll never know. i don't like the look of any of them either.

Then I suggest you get your apron on!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love To Cook

Just another little pointer....The spices in chilli, curries etc really lose their potency when they are frozen, so you'll probably need to pep the dish up again with more spice before eating. Also, if the recipe calls for cream or fresh herb put these in just before serving and you'll get better flavour.

Advertisement