Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC and their lovely customer service

• 31-08-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I ordered a UPC bundle through boards.ie a couple days ago. The girl on the phone told me she could just send me the equipment and that I could install it myself.. for some reason bells rang in my head and I insisted they sent a technician.

The technician came an hour and a half ago. He changed the outside cabling and the box - I assume that was included in self-installation, I would go up the ladder, pull the cable off from the roof and replace it?

Now, the minute the man changed the cable the telly lost all reception.. (sky - paid by the landlord). While he was still here I asked him if we should call UPC (I hadn't signed yet) and add telly to my bundle and he said I can do this after he's gone, there's no difference, it will only be 18 euros extra.

I called UPC immediately after he left and asked if I could be transferred from the 42 euro package (phone+broadband) to the 65 euro package which includes telly, as suggested. The answer I got was that now that I've signed for the 42 euro package I will have to pay another 32 euro, because these bundles are there to allure new customers and I'm not a new customer anymore (I was a 5 minute customer when I called them). On top of that, I was actually told "a lot of people have UPC and Sky together, they just have to pay for it" .

Who on earth gives a customer that reply? It's completely unacceptable and there has been no effort to help me whatsoever, I was not told by ANYONE that Sky would go off the minute they installed UPC (telly connected to a different box, in another room). Shouldn't I have been informed? Call me stupid or ignorant if you like.. but I feel as though I was played with!:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP from what I gather your Sky subscription is continuing? And that the UPC installer decided, of his own voilition, to cut the cable from your satellite dish to your TV, without any request?

In that case, there was no reason the installer should have removed the cabling to your satellite dish at all, whether you were taking UPC TV or not - its perfectly allowable and legitimate to have both UPC and Sky together. It appears you have a cause of complaint against UPC and I would suggest you get in contact with UPC regarding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Are they at it again??? Whats the deal with them cutting sky cables, they done this to me a while back, i wanted to keep the sky for the freeview channels, but they decided to cut the cable to the living room and to the two bedrooms where UPC wasn't being installed.. They are jokers.

I rang and got all my cable replaced, they never asked and never said they would cut my cables, i gave em hell, and they sorted it and gave me money off my package.

In my eyes its criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cliara

Yes, THANK YOU!!!!

They made me think I was crazy, obviously I'm not.. this is a very bad start, really really bad start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

cliara wrote: »
    Yes, THANK YOU!!!!

They made me think I was crazy, obviously I'm not.. this is a very bad start, really really bad start.

Its a bad start all right, but you aided and abetted the process by not researching the ins and outs of self install, which is explained on their website, and which is very simple to do. The installer should NOT have touched the Sky cables. You should now go after UPC immediately, and play hardball with them if they don't sort you out promptly. You are still inside your 7-day "cooling off" period, and you carry all the cards, so the sooner you get on to them the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cliara

Its a bad start all right, but you aided and abetted the process by not researching the ins and outs of self install, which is explained on their website, and which is very simple to do. The installer should NOT have touched the Sky cables. You should now go after UPC immediately, and play hardball with them if they don't sort you out promptly. You are still inside your 7-day "cooling off" period, and you carry all the cards, so the sooner you get on to them the better.

UPC's terms of use:

However, please be aware that you may not cancel your order or contract once UPC begins providing you with services with your agreement and at that point you are bound by UPC's Terms and Conditions with respect to cancellation and termination.

What cooling-off period? This is a joke. I don't think they will give a :pac: no matter what I do, I don't seem to be intimidating enough, therefore I got that treatment on the phone. I've got no words really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I was the same like you not really the giving out type, but what they done was wrong.

You need to keep at it, ask to talk to managers, And explain about the cutting of the cables and tell them to replace them or give you compensation as they damaged property that wasn't thiers and give them the usual stuff about going to a solicitor and taking them to court, They will listen if you keep at it i promise,

And i know it sounds silly but when you use very bad language they actually listen more.... ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They did the same to my friend last week.

This is totally unacceptable and it is criminal damage. UPC management really need to give their install contractors a talking to about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

cliara wrote: »
    UPC's terms of use:

However, please be aware that you may not cancel your order or contract once UPC begins providing you with services with your agreement and at that point you are bound by UPC's Terms and Conditions with respect to cancellation and termination.

What cooling-off period? This is a joke. I don't think they will give a :pac: no matter what I do, I don't seem to be intimidating enough, therefore I got that treatment on the phone. I've got no words really.

Those terms are over-ruled by the Consumer Acts and UPC should be saying in their T & Cs something like "Nothing in these Terms affect you statuary rights". Under Distance Selling Regulations you have the right to cancel within 7 days (sometimes 14 days) without giving any reason whatsoever and the supplier MUST comply with your wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Signed up to a package last month and they made a balls of it. It seems the woman I was talking to and just chose a package at random to charge me for. I'm now paying more than I should be this month and after 4 calls to customer service and getting promised of call backs each time I'm no closer to getting it sorted out. By far the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

I now know why upc don't have a forum on here, because it would show them up for how useless their cs really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

UPC cut my cable to dish last week when installing, wasn't long bollocking their customer support person out of it and technician was back an hour later with an apology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Alzone

Those terms are over-ruled by the Consumer Acts and UPC should be saying in their T & Cs something like "Nothing in these Terms affect you statuary rights". Under Distance Selling Regulations you have the right to cancel within 7 days (sometimes 14 days) without giving any reason whatsoever and the supplier MUST comply with your wishes.

They added it to their terms and condition:

You are entitled to a cooling-off period of 7 days, which begins on the day that your order or contract with UPC is concluded or the day that you receive written confirmation of your order or contract from UPC. If UPC fails to provide you with written confirmation, the cooling off period is extended to three months from the date that your order or contract with UPC is concluded. During the cooling-off period, you can cancel your order or contract without giving a reason and without incurring charges or penalties other than possible charges incurred in returning any equipment that we have provided to you. Upon cancellation, where applicable, UPC will reimburse you any monies due within 30 days and any credit agreements entered into at the time of the contract will be cancelled as well. However, please be aware that you may not cancel your order or contract once UPC begins providing you with services with your agreement and at that point you are bound by UPC's Terms and Conditions with respect to cancellation and termination.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement