Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off License near UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

depends on what part of ul you're in. The options are:
    Fine Wines- Castletroy (Maxol Station near Groody Roundabout)
    Fine Wines - Kilmurry (Beside Superdine on the Dublin Rd)
    Chawkes (Dublin Rd, oposite the lodge)
    Champers (University court- near milford grange)
    O'Briens (Parkway shopping centre)
    there's another down by Groody bar but can't think of the name

You also have lidl, aldi, dunnes and superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

depends where you're living. theres one up by super dine. there one up by the spar up past milford roundabout. theres one across from groody and theres one by the shop on just past the roundabout to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Hmm, let's see....

You have several options. If you live in the Milford Grange/Plassey area (I presume you're a first year) your most convenient purveyor would be beside the Spar on the road up the hill from the flagpoles. Think they call it 'Chill' now. Nice guy that works there, some time you're not looking for the cheap option to get smashed on ask him to suggest something, he's the man that introduced me to African lagers.

In the Elm Park direction, you'd probably be closer to the Fine Wines on the roundabout. Its a bit of a walk if you're based on campus (unless you live in Kilmurry). Head up to the Lodge, second left after leaving the East Gate and wander around until you see the depressed cluster of buildings on your right. Fine Wines is the garish looking thing in the middle. It's great. Sometimes it smells really strange but it makes up for it because of its regular massive offers. Our house would rotate its drinking habits to the pattern of Fine Wines' over-stock. We were not very patriotic to the Ireland's brewing industry on the week of St Patrick's, because FW had an offer of a crate of the Thai beer Singha for €16. Good place to go for something cheap and cheerful. Few things to beware of though - warm Ureich is never worth it, despite the incredible value. Cast a cursory eye over some of the €1 cans - I've had ones with flecks of mould and rust on them before. You can get crisps here too.

While you're in the vicinity of the round-about, it's worth being aware of some other options in the neighbourhood - the Lidl on the Dublin Road and the Superquinn near the cinema. Superquinn is where middle-aged people buy six-packs of Heino for €12, you do not want to purchase your alcohol there. Lidl on the other hand can often be dangerously cheap. Their 'Oktoberfest' offers last year led to us buying about 200 bottles of Nobelaner over three days. I heartily recommend the Nobleman myself. Have fun.

Finally, if you're in the Groody/Courtyard area, there is a small offie beside the Groody Bar near the apartments. Let's not mess about here - it's ****e. Suitable if you are desperate or foolish with money. Up the road a bit, on the roundabout there is another Fine Wines. From the outside, it looks a bit like a shed that could contain any sort of lifestock, but inside same principle applies as above - happy days. There is also an Aldi a short walk up the road.

Hope that helps, enjoy UL. Co-op is crap in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

Living in plassey where is the closest one??

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

Take a right out of plassey

Go straight on

Take the next right (straight through a small r'bout)

You will see a spar shop on your left

The offie is just 2 doors down or so from that

Will take you approx 5mins walking to get there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Alternatively if you need wine [buckfast] just go to the Spar in the complex to the immediate left of Plassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

bazkennedy wrote: »
    depends on what part of ul you're in. The options are:
    Fine Wines- Castletroy (Maxol Station near Groody Roundabout)
    Fine Wines - Kilmurry (Beside Superdine on the Dublin Rd)
    Chawkes (Dublin Rd, oposite the lodge)
    Champers (University court- near milford grange)
    O'Briens (Parkway shopping centre)
    there's another down by Groody bar but can't think of the name

You also have lidl, aldi, dunnes and superquinn

I'm pretty sure the one that you can't remember the name of is called Next Door?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Skintwin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the one that you can't remember the name of is called Next Door?

its belong to groody bar
    all my bank statements came back with groody bar printed on it:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

That's the one

If fine wines is your nearest you should ask for the liquid gold card and try earn some club card points when you buy drink. I think its 1c for every €1 and several products have bonus points -it builds up quiet fast

• Registered Users Posts: 40 COOMKEEN3010

ya "chill" by spar was definetely the closest to plassey!!! thanks for the help guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement