Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

induction week at DIT.

Options
  • 31-08-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Just wondering...does anyone know exactly what will happen in the first week (of the 11th)? Because on my timetable it says we don't start classes until the 19th...do we spend the whole entire week doing orientation or what? Just curious.. Thank you :):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

Just wondering...does anyone know exactly what will happen in the first week (of the 11th)? Because on my timetable it says we don't start classes until the 19th...do we spend the whole entire week doing orientation or what? Just curious.. Thank you :):D

Not sure, when we did it the whole week was for inductions, but different courses come in on different days, so we were only really in for one or two days. Could have changed though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

You'll probably just be getting an overview of the course and what you'll be doing, electives you can take etc etc.

You'll also probably get a tour of the library, get a talk from the SU, maybe the Clubs and Socs office, do some ice breakers, get to know everyone in your course etc etc.

You'll prob be only in a few hours per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iam_serpentine

Ok, thanks for the help guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Is it normal that you're in for induction the day before you've to collect your student card? I would have though that would be the first thing you'd do!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Is it normal that you're in for induction the day before you've to collect your student card? I would have though that would be the first thing you'd do!

Yep hahah i think collecting the student card was the last thing to do for me when i started before actual classes started up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sciency

loike wrote: »
    Yep hahah i think collecting the student card was the last thing to do for me when i started before actual classes started up

Yeah, my induction day is Monday 12th, and my group have ID card collection on Wednesday 14th. I guess with so many courses starting the following week they can't facilitate everyone collecting ID cards before induction day !!

Ah that's grand, wasn't sure if I'd read the thing right or not!

I've just seen my induction schedule, looks similar to what Grand Rajnah said:
    Monday 12th: Ice breaker with course tutors, meet and greet session with your class group, the lowdown on your course e.g. structure, timetable, modules covered, career opportunities, etc. Tour of your campus, information on services (I would say library, student health service, labs etc. )
    Then: Wednesday 14th ID card collection - every course has to collect it in DIT Aungier Street, different times and dates allocated per course.

So basically it looks like us freshers only have two days of official 'stuff' going on the week of the 12th before the formal lectures start on the 19th, I'm only going by info I found on the website, you may find out there's more when you meet your tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MaidenSlayer

Where do you go to find out when your induction is on and where? Also do you know when we're going to get a book list? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Where do you go to find out when your induction is on and where? Also do you know when we're going to get a book list? Cheers.

Induction schedule here:
    http://dit.ie/registration/registrationnext/

(There's a list of course induction dates and student card pick-up dates according to programme).

The list of essential and reccomended reading can be found on coursewise (on the D.I.T.website) but I am not entirely sure how often that is updated..

• Advertisement

What do you know, it doesn't have my course there haha. Does anybody know when DT324 induction is? I'll give them a ring tomorrow if nobody does.

I found mine here :
    http://www.dit.ie/media/documents/registrations/registrationsseptember2011/ID%20Card%20Collection%20CAO.pdf

..............my course had a link to 'Induction Details Click Here' so I found out where and when my induction is on. You can see not all courses have a 'click here' to link to what you're looking for, but I'm sure they're updating this all the time so keep an eye on it if it's not there yet :)

The induction info says nothing about book lists, I'd say that will be given when you meet your tutor as a class group on induction day, if not, when formal lectures begin from the 19th on, the individual lecturers will supply a reading list for their course at their first lecture. They'll be able to tell you which books, if any you'll need to buy, but everything they recommend is usually available in the library.

Edit: Oops, looks like I was beaten to it...yeah sure give them a ring tomorrow if it isn't updated in the meantime :)

Sciency wrote: »
    They'll be able to tell you which books, if any you'll need to buy, but everything they recommend is usually available in the library.

That would be grand if I didn't have to spend loads on books, the registration and tuition fees are a bomb as it is!

That would be grand if I didn't have to spend loads on books, the registration and tuition fees are a bomb as it is!

Join the club, I just had €2000 taken from my account when I registered online last night, that's just for starters, my second time back at college so have tuition fees to pay too....will definitely be making the most of what's available in the library, anything to keep the costs down ;)

With regards to booklists, you won't get one as such,

The lectureres will tell you the essential and recommended reading for their module in the first class, but you don't have to buy any of them. There are multiple copies of each in the library which you can borrow. They are very expensive, so I'd recommend holding off for a bit and seeing how many copies of the book are in library (can be checked on http://library.dit.ie) and seeing the quality of the notes the lecturers put online before deciding weather or not to buy each of the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

when will you be told if you have to pay tuition fees!?

i did lvl 6 (dropped out end of 1st yr) last year, doing lvl8 this year (both in dit) so thought id be stung with them, but when i went to register all it said id have to pay is the 2000 registration fee.

dont want to get my hopes up about not having to pay them so any info is very much appreciated.

PlayGirl wrote: »
    when will you be told if you have to pay tuition fees!?

i did lvl 6 (dropped out end of 1st yr) last year, doing lvl8 this year (both in dit) so thought id be stung with them, but when i went to register all it said id have to pay is the 2000 registration fee.

dont want to get my hopes up about not having to pay them so any info is very much appreciated.

I'm the same here, I dropped out of 2nd year of another course a few years back so will have to pay fees for my new course (level 6). I registered and was charged the €2000, however, can't remember the exact words but I remember somewhere along the registration process it said that this charge was 'provisional'. I clicked 'yes' for the question where it asks 'have you previously completed or partially completed a course in a third level institution' (something like that) .... so I guess they'll be able to trace what fees you owe in due course, I suppose from your PPS number which we had to give them....will be expecting a nice bill for tuition fees sooner or later as I KNOW I definitely have to pay for them.... :o

I'm in the same position re fees myself and I emailed them about it. The response I got was to pay the registration fees now and then sometime in October they'll contact me for more information on the previous study I've done and to have something from the previous college confirming that. Then they'll update the fees on your account and invoice you for them then.

I haven't been able to find out if you've to pay it all in one go in October or if that can be paid in installments too. The person on the helpline didn't have a clue what I was talking about though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

i wont be able to make it to my induction, does it matter much?

PlayGirl wrote: »
    i wont be able to make it to my induction, does it matter much?

You should really try and make it if you can, you'll get a lot of info that you'll need, like timetables, info on your online facilities, learning how to use the library etc. You'll also get a chance to meet your class, it's a good opportunity to get to know everyone during the ice-breaker sessions.

That said, as far as I know they aren't compulsory, so you dont have to attend.

Might not do any harm to send your course co-ordinator an email or give them a ring and ask them to keep you a copy of anything that they give out, or to give you a quick run through of the essential bits of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

I've just registered tonight and my timetable is online. I'm awfully confused about it though do we get our own personal time tables on the induction and what's the deal with picking modules do you do them on the induction day as well or....???

chrissb7 wrote: »
    I've just registered tonight and my timetable is online. I'm awfully confused about it though do we get our own personal time tables on the induction and what's the deal with picking modules do you do them on the induction day as well or....???

Reading the Online timetables is an acquired skill, as it puts all the groups together. Have a look at the bottom of each of the timetable entries, it will have group a, group b etc written on it. Just pick one group and go with it, You also probably wont have tutorials for the first number of weeks aswell, so you can disregard them too!

That said, you're prob just best to wait for a copy of it during Induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

Reading the Online timetables is an acquired skill, as it puts all the groups together. Have a look at the bottom of each of the timetable entries, it will have group a, group b etc written on it. Just pick one group and go with it, You also probably wont have tutorials for the first number of weeks aswell, so you can disregard them too!

That said, you're prob just best to wait for a copy of it during Induction.

Ahh right, so when you go to induction will you be put in a particular group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I still haven't got the pack with the student diary and stuff in. Does it matter?

Also what time does the induction start in Aungier Street? I assume 10? :)

Paula_K wrote: »
    Ahh right, so when you go to induction will you be put in a particular group?

Yep, more than likely by Surname.

A - F is group A, G - P is group B etc etc or something similar.

swiftblade wrote: »
    I still haven't got the pack with the student diary and stuff in. Does it matter?

Also what time does the induction start in Aungier Street? I assume 10? :)

It's different for each course as far as I know. Have a look at dit.ie, there is a section up there about the Induction days and Student ID card pick up aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

swiftblade wrote: »

Swiftblade, if it is school of Media you are after, the induction is on September 12th, Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

Yep, more than likely by Surname.

A - F is group A, G - P is group B etc etc or something similar.

Cheers for clearing that up! :)

• Advertisement

Does anybody know anything about the induction for DT324? I read the list but it says to contact them. I rang last week and haven't got a reply and I emailed them there the other day and again, no reply. I'm getting pretty anxious now because I don't know what's going on.

Advertisement