Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what this symbol means or is in conntection with

Options
  • 31-08-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Hello

So well the family home is in Rochestown and we have been trying to figure out all weekend what the symbol below means etc. I am sure lots will know the hill to the right by the monastery heading up towards Rafeen. Well tis about a bit up from that :D carved into the wall. My Dad was saying it has been there for years he was thinking since it was actually put up, I cant think of the name of the wall now I shall ask him again. But he was saying that you would nearly find more of these markings the further you go along the wall also.

Does anyone know what it is in relation to dying to find out thanks in advance.

Pants I always forget how to upload the pics on this I shall figure out later.

to describe for now there is a straight thick line going across and then three similiar lines coming out from the middle of the line on top. Kinda looks like a three legged stool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

It's more than likely a benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

God i just saw how bad my spelling was no comments needed if mr. teacher nerd is reading this again :D..

Thats the one Marko fantastico, a little bit dissapointed though was hoping it would have more meaning to it...Perhaps we can make up some stories to make it seem more interesting...
    My dad will be delighted to have it figured out at las...

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I have to disagree there, I think it has great meaning. The first survey of Ireland took over twenty years, and was the first in the world of a whole country giving an incredibly detailed map of the island of Ireland at the time.

You can go onto the osi.ie website and overlay the 6" historic map and other later surveys with the current map of Ireland and see just how accurate they were, all for free. As well as seeing how places have changed over the years. Be careful though, I've wasted days on that website!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

markok84 wrote: »
    I have to disagree there, I think it has great meaning. The first survey of Ireland took over twenty years, and was the first in the world of a whole country giving an incredibly detailed map of the island of Ireland at the time.

You can go onto the osi.ie website and overlay the 6" historic map and other later surveys with the current map of Ireland and see just how accurate they were, all for free. As well as seeing how places have changed over the years. Be careful though, I've wasted days on that website!!!

Very interesting, Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

As far as I know that road was built during the famine by people in the workhouses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement