Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish diaspora in the Americas

• 31-08-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hey everyone,
    Thought some people on here might be interested in this. Two guys (one from Co Wexford) are cycling from the most northerly point of Alaska to the most southerly point of Argentina, meeting the Irish diaspora along the way. They’re eager to reach out and get people involved, so thought I’d spread the word!

The project is called 350 South and we’re hoping to make a documentary of their adventure. Ian Lacey and Lee Saville began their journey on July 15th and the 17,000 mile trip will take them through the most beautiful and spectacular terrains in the world.
    There are a couple of different aims with their journey. Ian and Lee’s decision to use their bikes will highlight the importance of environmentally friendly transport and they are passionate about the environment. At the heart of 350 South lies the desire to meet the Irish diaspora along the way and are keen to find out people’s stories of how they ended up so far from home and how their concepts of “Irishness” may different from their own. The two men are cycling through British Columbia now on their way to Jasper National Park before heading down to Vancouver. They met an Irish couple who helped build the oil pipeline in Alaska, and will be chatting to Irish emigrants in Jasper and Lake Louise too.
    Does anyone on here have relations/friends living in Canada, the US or South America who might want to get involved and meet the guys on their travels? Their route brings them to Vancouver, then down through Portland and the West Coast, into Mexico and through Central and South America as far as Ushuaia.

They will be interviewed on Newstalk 106-108 this Friday at 11am on the Tom Dunne Show if anyone wants to reach out to them that way.

Or you can get in touch with them and get involved by visiting their website www.350south.org, http://www.facebook.com/350South or follow them on twitter @350South.

Thanks and hopefully between us we find some more Irish along their way :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

None of my relatives live along the path, otherwise I'd be getting on to them about this! I'm curious how the lads will be negotiating the Darién Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

That's going to be difficult alright, they hope to find a local who will be willing to get them across on a boat!

Hi all just an update on this and another call for help!

The lads, after a broken wheel setting them back by 5 days, are finally leaving the National Parks and heading down to Vancouver where they will be arriving on the 30th of September.

Does anyone on here know about Irish history in Vancouver, or have any relations or friends who are over there and might like to meet the lads and show them the Irish community?
    For example, are there certain areas of the city that are historically relevant to the Irish community?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Plankton1:

I have a suggestion: they need to post up on bikeforums and roadbikereview.

There is a lot of support amongst the US cycling community for adventures like this. Support means a lot in lonely/cold parts of Canada!

Have a look at this: 3 Brothers - Alaska to Argentina. Remarkably similar trip. Lots of bike community support. Invaluable local information on route planning, clothing requirements, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I hate to spoil the party - but what does this have to do with history? I only ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

MarchDub wrote: »
    I hate to spoil the party - but what does this have to do with history? I only ask.

Probably correct MD
    As the OP requested help for the people cycling I will move this to the volunteer section as it is more likely to get that help there IMO.
    A link will remain in the History forum also.

Ok thanks guys! Apologies for being in the wrong forum. I thought the Irish history in the Americas side of things might be suited for this forum if anyone knew historically relevant places for them to visit! Thanks for suggestions

PS: dave2pvd - Ian and Lee actually bumped into the 3 brothers of Bound South in Alaska :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SteffSt

Hey Guys,

the video diaries from Ian and Lee are up online now. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOGMCN_tjXE

Cheers,
    Steffi

Advertisement