Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slugs coming into the house

Options
  • 31-08-2011 3:52pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Over the last 2 weeks or so I've noticed quite a few slugs by the back door, some small black ones, others the huge fat brown ones - shudder....
    Anyway anyone know why or what I can do to stop it.
    I panicked this morning... and sprinkled salt all over door sill and around skirting... not too practical though with pets and children - but better than slug pellets.
    I hate slugs - what can I do :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Is it damp around the back door?

Getting rid of them when they arrive is one thing.. but I would be concerned about why they are being attracted there... We had a similar problem in our last house, and it turned out the be a problem with the damp proof course, which resulted in damp under the units..

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

You can get organic slug pellets, the slugs just crawl away and die somewhere & leave no slime trail! Using these means that no hedgehogs or birds get harmed & can continue to rid you of any harmful pests in your garden!

https://fruithillfarm.com/p-54-slug-pellets-ferramol.aspx

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Welease wrote: »
    Is it damp around the back door?

Getting rid of them when they arrive is one thing.. but I would be concerned about why they are being attracted there... We had a similar problem in our last house, and it turned out the be a problem with the damp proof course, which resulted in damp under the units..

I don't think its damp, I've had a quick look and there are no obvious signs of damp, the house is only 9yrs old. there is only one unit near the door, so I might pull the front of that off and have a look ( well I say I will - it is definately a job for the hubby - especially if there might be something living in there!!) - give me mice over slugs any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've had them the odd time, I think they just wander in when the door is open. One night I was sitting on the sofa and heard this krrsch krrsch noise. Scared the crap out of me, but it turned out to be a snail that had somehow gotten in and was happily eating a roll of wrapping paper: the tube was acting like an amplifier for the rasping of it's teeth. Pretty cool, I wouldn't say many people have heard a snail eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

i remember a family holiday in france years ago we stayed in this big house that had huge concrete steps up to the front door and every night it was covered in slugs but then along came the huge toads to eat them all... i don't know which was worse.. perhaps you could get a toad to guard the back door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

cora09 wrote: »
    i remember a family holiday in france years ago we stayed in this big house that had huge concrete steps up to the front door and every night it was covered in slugs but then along came the huge toads to eat them all... i don't know which was worse.. perhaps you could get a toad to guard the back door

Perhaps we should get these people to meet up:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056384202

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

You can stop them from coming in by going to an electrical or hardware shop, ask them have they the 1ins or 2ins rolls of COPPER TAPE. Get enough for across the door (3ft), stick this down across the entrance and the snails will not cross, it works because there's an element in the copper that the snails are allergic to and they sense it. That's my good deed for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

headmaster wrote: »
    You can stop them from coming in by going to an electrical or hardware shop, ask them have they the 1ins or 2ins rolls of COPPER TAPE. Get enough for across the door (3ft), stick this down across the entrance and the snails will not cross, it works because there's an element in the copper that the snails are allergic to and they sense it. That's my good deed for the day.

Good advice.... If you can't get it locally just google 'copper slug tape'. There are lots of places that do it and it should help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for all the advice, toad idea is brilliant!! thankfully though for the last couple of days we've had no slugs, instead been visited by spiders - oh the joys of living in the country!!
    Had a couple of brave spiders parasending in the shower yesterday, so we had a quick chat and after being told that if I could still see them after 3 then they were being rinsed down the plug hole:D thankfully it worked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement