Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My DIY Polytunnel

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Dead right, use whatever materials you have.
    There are 2 basic ways to fit your cover. Like I did, by rolling the ends round baton and screwing them onto a base board. The other way is to dig a trench round the perimeter and bury the plastic gradually, tensioning as you backfill. Plenty of info on both methods with a google or youtube. I think the base board way is better myself.
    You could use bricks but then you couldn't use my method as you wouldn't have anything to attach the batons to. If you bury the cover, then you could make raised beds with bricks, but you would have to leave some space between the bricks and the cover or it would chafe and tear the pastic. You don't have to have raised beds at all though, just something to consider.
    My cover is 750 gauge (I think). It is a proper UV resistant poytunnel cover, hence the price. Advice would be to not use ordinary builders plastic as it will break down in the sun and elements very quickly and you'd have to keep replacing it. Anyway, I don't think you could get cut lengths/widths large enough of that stuff, can you??
    Best of luck, you wont regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Thanks for the pics and descriptions Redser. Wow, you are flying along there! Cant believe you have carrots and mangetout already !! Keep the pics coming :)

Builderfromhell - I used the plastic wrapped around the batons on one side of my tunnel and a trench on the other. worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shep1234

why did you put the boards on the outside...

redser7 wrote: »
    I was offered an allotment in June. As it was late in the sowing season I decided to spend my time getting it in shape for next spring. Having struggled with a cheap walk-in type greenhouse for the last couple of years I immediately thought 'Polytunnel'. After research I decided on a size of 20' x 10'. At around 800 euros it was way out of my price range so I looked into DIY options using recycled and scrounged materials. I found instructions that used 2 inch PVC water pipe sleeved over lengths of cut scaffold tube for the main structure. I aimed to do it for around 200. This is the result.

First step was to clear the site of weeds and debris that I inherited. I did this by hand using a fork and a Chillington hoe. It was hard work but worth it. I have very few weeds coming up now whereas I believe if you rotavate you can churn up a lot of weed seeds and chop up stems and roots and increase your weed problem.

The tunnel would have 2 raised beds along each side with a central path. Using 9" high scaffold planks would give nice deep beds (plus single dug beneath) but it would cost a few hundred euro to import topsoil to fill them. So I excavated the topsoil to a depth of 7 - 8 inches and set that aside to go back into the raised beds once the tunnel was complete. Stones would be screened out and compost/manure/seaweed added later in the year.

Once that was done I marked out a level plane, levelled the area and then marked out the tunnel footprint leaving plenty of space around it to work.

2m2g877.jpg

It is important to get the right angles correct for the stability of the tunnel so I used the 3-4-5 rule (pythagoras' theorem). Then I measured out the distances for the 5 scaffold tubes on each side and marked their positions with rebar.

I managed to scrounge a few 21 foot lengths of bent scaffold pipe for free. I cut 10 x 5.5 foot straight lengths from these and used them as the foundation tubes. Each one was driven a meter into the ground using a sledge hammer. Bloody hard work getting them in and keeping them straight. I would say it is a must to have a helper with you on this part. Make sure they are all in line and distanced the same as the one on the opposite side. Ensure that the tops are all level with each other.

15fiuyh.jpg

The ends of the scaffold will get mashed out of shape from hammering so will need to be taken off with an angle grinder or hacksaw so the PVC pipe will sleeve onto the tube. I didn't have that problem ...

I tried to get my hands on free/second hand 2" internal diameter PVC water pipe as it is a perfect fit to sleeve over the scaffold tubes. A bolt or nail is then driven through both of them low down to tie them together. But I couldn't find any. It can be bought new from builders and plumbers merchants but is expensive at around 100 euro for 30 metres. But persistence paid off and I did manage to do a trade for enough electrical duct with a chap who had some surplus. Thanks R!

The problem with the electrical duct is that it is too narrow to fit over the scaffold tubes. I decided on a plan to span the two using 3 foot lengths of rebar. Again I got the rebar free.

2qs9o9y.jpg

6 inch nails were pushed through 6mm drilled holes in the pipes. Two lengths of rebar with bent ends were taped together in such a way as to hit the inside of both the scaffold tube and the PCV pipe so the pipe wouldn't move North, South, East or West horizontally. Just before I pushed the PVC pipe down on to the rebar a third shorter length of rebar was pushed in to give added stability. It worked, and there was no give on the pipe.

ay3ebd.jpg

At last I could see how big the tunnel would be. Each piece of pipe was 6 metres long. They need to be exactly the same length so measure twice and cut once!

The pipes were tied to the scaffold tubes using builder's band which I had already ...

w0mecw.jpg

The next step was the internal woodwork to give the tunnel rigidity and stability against the weather. But my wife headed off for the weekend with the camera. So fast forwarding ...

2zoc8ar.jpg

... the nearly finished tunnel with labourer doing a great job hammering some topsoil into shape.

Scaffold boards were fixed to the exterior of the scaffold pipes using the same 6 inch nails that hold the rebar in place to span the PVC pipe. Builders band was also used to give additional hold and then the nails were flattened down. The boards will also serve as the perimeter of the internal raised beds.

r7vpf7.jpg

I also drove wooden stakes into the ground at intervals and the scaffold boards were screwed and nailed onto these for added stability.

Thinner scaffold pipe, also sourced free, was driven 3 foot into the ground and the gable end scaffold boards were secured to these using builders band (great stuff! get a roll if you are doing this).

300dsgn.jpg

Most of the wood and screws were scrounged from a local demolition and I was lucky to get enough to make the diagonal bracing, gable ends (door frames and stiffeners) and other bits and bobs.

21bj8sm.jpg

I had to buy 2 x 1 inch baton for the stiffeners that run the length of the tunnel, the ridge pole, hinged door, removable vents and for rolling the polythene cover to be attached to the scaffold boards. It is very cheap at 1.25 per 8ft length.

This is a picture of the back end.

17bu53.jpg

The door frame (goal post) is sunk 2 foot into the ground for stability and held at the top with 4 inch screws screwed directly into the PVC pipe. The stiffeners either side are also screwed in. This end does not have a hinged door but it does have removable polythene vents. The top one is complete. I will staple debris netting to the inside of the door frame for hot days when I need to remove the polythene vents for ventilation. The netting will reduce any wind chill if it is windy and keep out unwanted animals/birds. There will be a permanent open vent at the top to allow for some heat release from the top of the tunnel and also allow pollinators in.

This is the front gable end with the hinged door.

2uopdzo.jpg

The debris netting is in place and I need to make the movable vents that will sit into the door top and bottom sections. The door doesn't hang quite right so I need to refit the top hinge when I get a chance.

I also put in builder's band on each of the three middle hoops so I can hang timber crop bars at a later stage.

dlrpk6.jpg

The cover is tricky to install.

Firstly you need anti-hotspot tape at any contact points between the cover and the frame. This protects the cover from wear and increases its life-span.

You need a still sunny day where you have the time yourself to complete this and also be able to gather a few people to help. There were three of us and we only had half a day so I didn't get it finished in one go. Luckily there was no bad weather between then and the time I was able to get back and finish it off. Three people was hardly enough. Six would be ideal, more would be even better.

A G-clamp is essential. The first couple of batons I screwed in above the lintels were not tight enough and the cover began to tear at the screw holes. Nerve-wracking moment! I was able to adjust the lintel height up and pull the torn piece under the lintel and start again. This time with a clamp pulling the baton in tight I was able to screw it to the frame correctly so it held the polythene in place without pulling at the screws. Use the clamp wherever possible to get a tight fit between baton and frame and then screw the baton on.

These give a pretty good idea of the size ...

2iauzrq.jpg

20gb2b5.jpg

So nearly there. I need to finish off the door furniture and get the raised beds sorted.

I would say it cost a tad over 200. 130 for the polythene, 25 for the anti-hotspot tape, 40 for timber baton and wood screws, and a few quid for sundries like hinges and staples. It took about four 6 hour days.

Big thanks to this chap who was a great help ...

fokmdt.jpg

Bring on the storms!

Because I attached the cover to the frame by rolling it onto 2 x 1 timber baton. The baton then had to be screwed on to the frame. I couldnt do that if the poles were on the outside and in the way.

Hi I am in the process myself, no pica yet, i have the scaffolding and tubeing in place, and ir looks ok, I think the head height is a bit much, about 9 fee, I think seven feet ish would be enough concidering the bad storms we are getting of late. i have a million questions, so will be only answered trough trial and error, also some become obvious as the program progresses. So any pitfalls I should look out for. redsers looks slopped is that just the lie of the land... I have found a place were scaffolding tubes and planks are available, so if you have the need for some let me know, I am in roscommon.

• Advertisement

thanks for that, it was only when I posted, I saw the logic, and pitfall, I have all the material needed and the time, I dont't have any help yet, I know they will be needed. I will take some pics and post anon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

shep1234 wrote: »
    So any pitfalls I should look out for. redsers looks slopped is that just the lie of the land... I have found a place were scaffolding tubes and planks are available, so if you have the need for some let me know, I am in roscommon.

I sent you a private message there. Looking for planks and tubes myself. :)

cheers

Cool, best of luck. You will definately need help with the cover. The more the merrier but 4 is a good number. Also somebody to steady and check the level when you are hammering in the poles is probably a necessity.

Sorry, looks like I'm in the middle of a private conversation :) Happy to help if you have questions.
    It isn't sloped, might just be the camera being held by tired arms :)

shep1234 wrote: »
    why did you put the boards on the outside...

hi again. the reason for my questions is cos I am putting one together, and the scaffold pipe and tubing are already in place.so going slow and steady. The wide angle pic you have seams to show a receding height. higher at one end and lower at the other. is that because of the lay of the land.. also your internal uprights seams high and without tubing inside the tunnel, is that because you did not have enough tubing, I know that some loss is necessary for the timber.

I am presently cutting the tubing to fit the height of the external timber that runs the lenght of the tunnel, hope this is right, I have an electric saw coming my way at the weekend, so weather permitting we should be well on our way.

All ideas at this stage are welcome. I will bring my camara out with me today.

• Advertisement

Hi, If it looks like it slopes then that's just how the perspective came out in the photo. It is level across both planes and equally high across the whole length.

"also your internal uprights seams high and without tubing inside the tunnel, is that because you did not have enough tubing, I know that some loss is necessary for the timber"

Sorry I just dont understand what you mean? I have used the right amount of tubing.

"I am presently cutting the tubing to fit the height of the external timber that runs the lenght of the tunnel, hope this is right,"

Again, I'm confused. You are best to do it in the order I detailed above or see Alan Parkin's instructions. Scaffold poles in, attach the pipes (aim for a height of about 8 foot, and make sure the length of the pipes are bang on equal), then do the wood work, and finally the cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Sorry to be jumping in the middle of the conversation but I take redser7 that you polytunnel is still standing and in one piece. It looks like from this thread its up 2 years.

Has there been any issues with DIY version or is there anything you would have done different?

Hi keeks, it's as solid today as it was 2 years ago. I've poked a couple of holes in the cover but that's my own fault. They are as sturdy as the store bought aluminium ones and don't let anyone tell you different. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

thats good to hear......DIYers don't mind doing touch ups or repairs as that come with the territory and I was just curious was there any little bits of maintenance that was needed because it was a DIY project.

I am gathering the materials myself to build my own polytunnel at the moment so we will see how we get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Syracus

Hi, I'm looking at doing this also. Can you please tell me where you sourced those 5ft lengths of scaffolding tubes?

To OP, I'm building a tunnel with the same design and I had to buy the tubing from a builder's provider in Ashbourne. I bought 5 foot lengths of 48mm scaffolding tubing at €5 each.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭garethmc

Syracus wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at doing this also. Can you please tell me where you sourced those 5ft lengths of scaffolding tubes?

To OP, I'm building a tunnel with the same design and I had to buy the tubing from a builder's provider in Ashbourne. I bought 5 foot lengths of 48mm scaffolding tubing at €5 each.
    [/QUOTE]

didnt build one in the end sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi ,here is a simple way to hold the pipes on a diy polytunnel using scaffolding legs .concrete legs into ground .use leaver to level jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi .just found this on you tube about bending pipes for polytunnels .jack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt9k5UV1zBU&list=UU1tVcUEbL5rxuDs5VbSfFMA

Advertisement