Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shetland Sheepdog puppies?

• 31-08-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

My sisters thinking of getting a puppy, and through endless hours of research on both our parts, she seems to have decided on a Shetland sheepdog.
    I've been warning her off done-deal etc., and directing her to threads on here with horror stories, so she has decided to go the proper route of finding a good breeder. The trouble is, we can't find any breeders, never mind good ones!
    Does anyone know of any in Ireland that they'd recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

You could try emailing this crowd?

http://www.sscni.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I don't think there is a breed club for them, you could try some of the district clubs on the IKC site.
    One thing I will say is do some research, find out any illnesses they are prone to, or any health tests that need to be done and ask any breeders you find.
    I do know someone who has 3 shelties, but none are well bred and one is huge, so not confident there are many good breeders in Ireland.

I just tried the above link and it may be your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mymo wrote: »
    I don't think there is a breed club for them, you could try some of the district clubs on the IKC site. One thing I will say is do some research, find out any illnesses they are prone to, or any health tests that need to be done and ask any breeders you find.
    I do know someone who has 3 shelties, but none are well bred and one is huge, so not confident there are many good breeders in Ireland.

I just tried the above link and it may be your best bet.

Yes there is:)

All Ireland Shetland Sheepdog Club
    Miss. M.E. Crowley
    8 Brookville Park, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
    (01-2894127)

There are plenty of good breeders, i know a lady who has them and if you contact the club they will give you a list of breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Sorry, I cant guide you to any good breeders

BUT shelties are fantastic dogs, very bright, sufficiently cautious around strangers to keep you and your property protected but very friendly and loyal family dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

thanks a mill for all the info! Any dogs we had as kids, and any I've had since have been out of pounds and shelters so this buying an actual breed thing is all new to both of us!
    We've been looking them up and there seems to be loads of things to watch for, but there seems to be with all breeds so I guess its all just lots research in picking a breeder!
    Ive mailed all the info on to her anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm currently on a waiting list for a Sheltie from the UK, I have a few other possibles though should this one not work out. I've actually ruled out most of the breeders here because they either don't health test or they do but breed their dogs anyway if the results aren't great/ come back positive in the case of eye tests. I can PM you a list of the better breeders I have found if you wish.

Sheltie puppies should be tested for collie eye at 8 weeks old - this is another thing to keep in mind. The breed clubs in the UK have very different ideas on health testing than those here, I have found.

On the plus side the breed seems to have completely flew under the radar of puppy farmers and they are up near the top of the list when it comes to general health. Don't get too caught up with hip-scores, it's important to me as I'm looking for an agility dog, but as far as orthopaedic issues go they are somewhat prone to knee problems but hip issues are virtually non-existent. If I can be of any more help just shout. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I can PM you a list of the better breeders I have found if you wish.

That would be brilliant, thanks a mill!

I do have one other question about them. She wont be doing anything like agility with it, but she is hoping to take it jogging with her when its old enough.
    She currently borrows my border-collie x, and does about 3 miles a day. Everything we've read about them indicates they'd be well up for this, and since they are herding dogs, they are bred to move and cover ground easily so the rational side of my brain tells me it shouldn't be an issue. I've seen fantastic videos of them doing fly-ball and agility as well as herding, but their little legs just look so tiny and dainty, would they manage this sort of distance at a run every day?
    I know I'm probably being ridiculous but there's one that's walked in the park I take my guy too and he just looks very dainty and breakable, for want of a better word, next to my dog!! :o

I imagine a Sheltie would be well able for 3 miles and then some, not until fully grown though. I'm not a big fan of dogs running excessively on hard surfaces, my preference would always be to take to the fields, woods, beach or park. Running on hard ground can be quite tough on joints over the long term (mine as much as the dogs :p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We have shelties (though I don't know of any currently breeding. We got ours off the Cushleys and Damien McDonald but neither have pups or are currently planning on them) if you contact the northern ireland or irish shetland sheepdog clubs, they will point you in the right direction. I would say that shelties would be well up for a 3 mile run, once they were fully grown of course. We have 4, one of ours I don't think would be able for it but the other 3 would definitely do it if us owners could. They are lovely dogs to own, ours all have such nice temperaments. Once you have shelties, you'll never have any other breed! At least we certainly think so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 robburke1980

Hi all

Does anyone know of anyone with Shetland sheepdog pups for sale now or in the next couple of months?
    Or even a list of breeders etc?
    Reading through this forum I tried contacting miss Crowley but unfortunately I cannot get through with the number provided.

Many thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

We have been getting calls about pups recently and asked around and there doesn't seem to be any pups from good breeders at the moment. This is from the show scene, so there might be some in working lines that we don't know so well but you will probably have to go to the uk at the moment.

You do have to be very careful from the likes of donedeal, one of the girls who bought one of our pups last time we had some, had got one from donedeal and at 6 months the pup was already showing signs of developing hip dysplasia.

I just checked with mum and she says there might be some coming up during the summer at some point but she did hear of one litter available soon, I'll pm you the number, I think they weren't the right colour for the person who called us :rolleyes:

Also try the NI breed club:

http://www.sscni.co.uk/

I think most will already have had their puppies for this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 busyB33

I've registered so I can offer a contact.
    try Liam Hodson ...Moyhill. He's a well known breeder of Shelties.
    google his name - i did 2years ago when I was looking for my dog.

Another name is Elizabeth Higgins - I got in contact with her thru Liam & bought my Sheltie from her (back in june 2009)

I hope you find the colour you want - there are so many variations with Shetland sheepdogs.

One thing I have taken note of is the fact that heart-murmurs and undescended testicles are on the rise in Shelties. Shelties do not do well under aesthetic and it's widely considered that they should only be operated on in instances where it is a life-saving measure.

Undecended testicles are a problem because an invasive operation is needed as the missing testicle needs to be located and removed as there is a high risk of it becoming cancerous due to the higher temperature inside the body as opposed to where it's supposed to be. Breeding from a dog that is not entire is a breach of the Breed clubs' (plural) code of ethics, but some show breeders are still doing it regardless.

busyB33 wrote: »
    I've registered so I can offer a contact.
    try Liam Hodson ...Moyhill. He's a well known breeder of Shelties.
    google his name - i did 2years ago when I was looking for my dog.

Another name is Elizabeth Higgins - I got in contact with her thru Liam & bought my Sheltie from her (back in june 2009)

I hope you find the colour you want - there are so many variations with Shetland sheepdogs.

I had a look at Liam Hodson's website and I just don't like the amount of litters he's producing. I don't know him at all but having two sheltie litters, one rough collie litter and a boxer litter planned for latter this summer just seems like way too many. And the meeting up in Dublin and Newry and stuff to hand over the pups doesn't sound great either, I'd always go to the breeders house to get the pup unless I happened to know them really well. Maybe I'm just overly suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 busyB33

No bother - it was just a suggestion / lead.
    I've never met Liam personally, but I followed up his name thru the lady in Blackrock who seems to run the Shetland Sheepdog breeders club of Ireland.
    I got my pup (now over 2yrs old) from Elizabeth Higgins (another well known, award winning Sheltie breeder in Glaway ...and thru Liam)

All the threads on diseases+problems may be true about what affects Shelties (and any other breed to be honest) ...but sure thats why you bring your dog to a vet - get pet insurance - invest so much €€€ in getting a pedigree in the 1st place.

www.fido.ie is the website for registering your pup/dog details.

ps. I travelled from Dublin to Galway to Elizabeth's house to meet her, her family and all her dogs ...to select my dawg. I met her in Athlone 12weeks later to pick up my dawg ...and I had constant emails+pics from her about his growth+progress -- to be cautious is ok, but the Sheltie breeders who are listed with Mrs ___in Blackrock, Dublin are all straight up.

(of course...its your decision at the end of the day ...so best of luck)
    (you have all the details you need via official website)

busyB33 wrote: »
    All the threads on diseases+problems may be true about what affects Shelties (and any other breed to be honest) ...but sure thats why you bring your dog to a vet - get pet insurance - invest so much €€€ in getting a pedigree in the 1st place.

When I say Shelties don't do well under anesthetic I mean there is a high risk that they won't wake up, so the main thing people should be looking at is the health of the dogs, well-known and award winning or not.

In a breed where demand is greater than supply plenty of questions should be asked of those who need to advertise to sell their pups, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weaselle

Hey I tried to find Elizabeth Higgins details on google but had no joy.If anyone has them could they please pm them too me coz I'm desperate to find a good breeder and IKC Secretary won't give names or details u have to go to the shows.Thanks.

I'm not sure if any one has any pups at the moment but then I haven't been looking because I've just got mine recently. I'll pm you the vice secretary of the AISSC contact details. I would advise going to a show though, to my knowledge they are free to go if you aren't bringing a dog and you will find out a lot of information. Dog owners love to talk about their breed. There is a big one on in Dublin tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2 weaselle

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I'm not sure if any one has any pups at the moment but then I haven't been looking because I've just got mine recently. I'll pm you the vice secretary of the AISSC contact details. I would advise going to a show though, to my knowledge they are free to go if you aren't bringing a dog and you will find out a lot of information. Dog owners love to talk about their breed. There is a big one on in Dublin tomorrow

Thanks a mil for your help.I'll def check out some of the shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bigmark39

weaselle wrote: »
    Hey I tried to find Elizabeth Higgins details on google but had no joy.If anyone has them could they please pm them too me coz I'm desperate to find a good breeder and IKC Secretary won't give names or details u have to go to the shows.Thanks.

I've had dealings with Elizabeth Higgins and wouldn't recommend her or buy a pup from her. I'm not going to elaborate on this on a public forum, but suffice to say I have good reason.

Be careful who you buy from or recommend. Just because a breeder is friendly when you're handing them a wad of cash doesn't make them good breeders. There's many people breeding dogs in Ireland purely for profit and masquerading as breed experts.

If you want to buy a sheltie, buy from someone who only breeds an occasional litter and check the pedigree carefully that it's not too close. Check out where the dogs are living, are they family pets or just breeding stock in kennel conditions? Check their environment for cleanliness and walk away if not happy. Check the size of the parents as far too many shelties are bred that are either too big or too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irlandese in Italia

Hello everyone! We plan to get a Shetland puppy (female) in the near future and are looking for good source, preferably in Ireland (south or north). I have followed the above thread with avid interest and I have made a lot of notes. As I notice that most of the posts are from more than a year ago, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there is any up-to-date news on where / whom to contact in order to get a good Shetland Sheepdog puppy. Thanks in advance for any tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Hello everyone! We plan to get a Shetland puppy (female) in the near future and are looking for good source, preferably in Ireland (south or north). I have followed the above thread with avid interest and I have made a lot of notes. As I notice that most of the posts are from more than a year ago, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there is any up-to-date news on where / whom to contact in order to get a good Shetland Sheepdog puppy. Thanks in advance for any tips!

I sent you a PM. :)

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ekelleher12

Hi Vonvix, do you know someone with puppies, my sister is also looking for a female sheltie.

Eileen

Advertisement