Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science rejection ?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello All,

I just got turned down from the Social Science degree in UCD and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any similar courses that may be starting soon. Something like a social science course in a private college or something like that. I'm really disappointed because I had my heart set on starting back in college this september and I'm fed up sitting at home.

Fingers crossed :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SuzyBlue

I just applied for Housing and Community Studies with Respond Housing Association today. It was the last day for applying but I think they still have a couple of places. You could try them???

Good Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clonna

JamesMurph wrote: »
    Hello All,

I just got turned down from the Social Science degree in UCD and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any similar courses that may be starting soon. Something like a social science course in a private college or something like that. I'm really disappointed because I had my heart set on starting back in college this september and I'm fed up sitting at home.

Fingers crossed :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

James

Hi James,

Sorry to hear that,bad news alright specially at this late stage.

I heard of the degree that the last poster mentioned and they take applications well into September-why don't you ring respond housing?

Hope it all goes well,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Calpernia

Hi James
    Is it just a social science degree you;re looking for? I've seen a few courses online where you may still be able to get in - most of the private colleges are pretty flexible! As long as you have the readies. And I think I've seen on these boards about the CAO clearing system which kicks off about now - if you went through the CAO? But there's a couple of part time social science courses in UCD as well! One I think is Housing and Community -the issue with part time is that you don't get the Back to Education .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

What about doing the access course in UCD?

It's a year long and once you get above a certain grade you'll have a place in Social Science for the following year.

Here's a link:

http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/prospectivestudents/accesscourses/accesstoartsandhumansciences/

I'm a mature student myself and of the other mature students in my class did this course and thought it great stepping stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JamesMurph

Wow this is all really helpful. Thanks for such speedy replies, they're all really helpful.

@Suzyblue that housing and community studies course do you know if that course has something to do with UCD.

@Bobby42 definitely worth looking into. Seems like a really good option

Thanks to all
    J

• Advertisement

JamesMurph wrote: »
    Wow this is all really helpful. Thanks for such speedy replies, they're all really helpful.

@Suzyblue that housing and community studies course do you know if that course has something to do with UCD.

@Bobby42 definitely worth looking into. Seems like a really good option

Thanks to all
    J

Hi there,
    As Calpernia said there's CAO clearing on an ongoing basis. These are courses in various colleges in the CAO system who haven't filled all their available slots after the CAO offers have been sent out - here's the link to the information on them (how it works, how to apply etc) :

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutVPL

and the link to the courses available:
    http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm

It looks like Dublin Business school has some places left on its Social Science level 8 degree, it's a private college (you mentioned private colleges) so fees would work out at aroung 5K for each of the 3 years....
    The round 2 offers are going out tomorrow, so there will probably be more courses in other institutions added to the vacant places list from tomorrow on, there's no guarantee but keep an eye on it as an option :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JamesMurph

Wow Sweetface thanks for that. I'll have a look for sure.

Cheers
    J

Advertisement