Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Go gone all dawny

Options
  • 31-08-2011 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

My TomTom Go has taken to fainting like a Victorian lady, suddenly losing power, usually when I'm on a motorway and desperately scanning exits to see which is the right one.

I know it could be anything, but is this most likely to be

a) the connector to the car's electric lighter
    b) the lighter itself
    c) the battery of the Go?

It's a couple of years old now - it's the 520T, which was an earlier model even when I got a present of it in around 2009 or so.

Incidentally, how do you check the battery level? (Oh, wait, found that: tap bottom of screen and it's up on top right.) Seems to be draining pretty fast ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its geting permanent power then the battery is irrelevant.
    I have an old GO720 that will die as soon as its disconnected,but it will work perfectly otherwise. Have you tried it connected to a PC for a few hours. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've now run it right down (took about half an hour), and connected it to a computer (does the Go need to be switched on to charge?)

I'm wondering if the connecting cable or the lighter might be at fault, as well as the battery. Not sure how I can test either of these.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Connect it to the computer & leave it turned on.
    Maybe shake it about a bit & see if theres any loos connections.
    If it stays powered on then the problem has to be the car charger ot the cigarteet lighter connection. Have you a second connection or another car to try it in?

Thanks Koolkid. I am not rich in cars, but will see if I can try it in a neighbour's. Juicing it up at the moment via the computer. Connection seems ok.

Have they the standard mini USB connection the same as the Go720.?
    Ill give you a loan of my old 720 to try in the car if you want. The screens a bit gammy but it will confirm or eliminate the cars power as the issue.

• Advertisement

That would be great, thank you - maybe you could send me a PM, Koolkid. But I think it may be the battery. I ran the device right down, and then powered it overnight, and it's only partly powered up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Isabella1988

I'm wondering if the connecting cable or the lighter might be at fault, as well as the battery. Not sure how I can test of them.
    a big problem...

Advertisement