Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too early for snow predictions???

Options
  • 31-08-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it way too early to start predicting snowfall for the coming months. Got very cold over the last few days, it seems summer never arrived and winter is starting early.

Really enjoyed the snow threads last year, so anyone care to predict?

Moggie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

moggie4000 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it way too early to start predicting snowfall for the coming months. Got very cold over the last few days, it seems summer never arrived and winter is starting early.

Really enjoyed the snow threads last year, so anyone care to predict?

Moggie

I'd like to predict a miserable wet and windy winter with a few chilly days but not a sight of that damn Satan fluff. It's had 2 years in a row now so hopefully it will stay far away this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Well i personally think that heavy snow and freezing temperatures will be here to stay for most of the winter, for longer than last year not just december.many forecasters are predicting a very cold wiinter worse than last year due to the la nina, low solar activity, gulf strem and volcanic eruption last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I wouldnt rule out some snow in October this year if current patterns persist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

We have two winter threads already, and it's way too early to predict anything other than a trend, and even those are notoriously difficult to get right this far out.Leave it til mid November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah theres no need for another thread on this same subject. In a word, yes, its too early to make any sort of meaningful prediction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Way, way too early. It'll be mid November at the absolute earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

It's too early to make an accurate prediction for two weeks time, never mind November/ December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

moggie4000 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it way too early to start predicting snowfall for the coming months?

Moggie

Yes!!
    DarkJager wrote: »
    that damn Satan fluff

:D:D:D:D Even snow-loving me had to smile at that - Brilliant!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pauldry wrote: »
    I wouldnt rule out some snow in October this year if current patterns persist

Got snow in October 2008.

See here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055408574 First pic is taken in Enniskerry village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If one were to go back over the years, we've had snow in every month. On a train journey to Dublin in my youth for a summer camp our train had to crawl through thick snow near Mallow, it was bizarre ~ think snow and a few fields away the green and sunshine.

It was June don't know the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Confab wrote: »
    Way, way too early. It'll be mid November at the absolute earliest.

isnt that a prediction :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

gbee wrote: »
    If one were to go back over the years, we've had snow in every month. On a train journey to Dublin in my youth for a summer camp our train had to crawl through thick snow near Mallow, it was bizarre ~ think snow and a few fields away the green and sunshine.

It was June don't know the year.

Ive heard of snow in june alright and september, but Ive never heard of it happening in July or august.
    I suppose it must be possible in early July or late august.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It will arrive early November

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It will arrive early November

Confident much?:D I hope so!!

It's not far away now lads! We're into September now - give it another 2 months!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Got snow in October 2008.

See here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055408574 First pic is taken in Enniskerry village.

I remember that day!!!

I couldnt believe hearing people saying they seen some snow on some cars in wicklow!!

Awh I want that!!!!!! :(:(:(:(

ON other news... first "snow" in the UK on Sunday just gone apparently.... i dont really believe it! ha http://forum.netweather.tv/blog/269/entry-4254-first-snowfall-of-the-winter-2011-2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Oh yipee,another thread to talk about snow and how much people love it,just what this forum needs:rolleyes:.I like snow too lads but its a bit annoying that theres a thread about it nearly all year round on this otherwise great forum.Give it a rest please for a few more weeks/months please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think there should be a thread for 'when will the snow melt?'

It was so boring last year, snowed in for a month, got out once and there was ice on the roads then another foot of snow fell, boring, cold, frozen milking machine, pipes, hands, then if that wasn't bad enough one could come on the weather forum and have people looking for more of the white hardship.
    I think a lot of people who like snow must be unemployed and are getting the €20 free fuel allowance per week :P

....or are school children...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Trust me, there are few people on this forum who love snow as much as I do...but seriously it's the first of september...try and enjoy weather as it is day by day...try and enjoy the changing seasons...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep its tiresome coming on here during the summer months to find half the discussion being about winter, theres plenty more weather ahead before I even want to have to think about snow. Admittedly the weather has been a bland nothingness of late but keep the snow talk to November onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

its funny like , youd think it was a vigil that people had to go into every weather thread , wheather its the autumn thread or the snow thread.

you dont have to go into the snow thread , or is it jus so ye can do a bit of moaning :confused:
    why cant people talk away about snow like they do about summer autumn hurricanes etc ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is the weather forum, there is nothing in the rules that says one has to love snow and if one doesn't they cannot reply in a thread about snow.

The snow lovers on this forum have gone so crazed they talk now about snow and their want of snow all year round.
    It is like some don't enjoy weather if snow is not involved.

There is plenty of time to talk about snow when it is on the horizon, it is fine to have a winter 2011/2012 thread and discuss it there, but I have never seen on this forum before the crazed want for snow at this time of the year with a new thread being started every few weeks in summer about snow.

I don't mind some snow as long as it doesn't hang around too long, I get snow every year, I wonder why people who like snow don't move to higher ground where snow is guaranteed every year even in mild winters.

The thing is there is far more to the weather than snow, there is far more to the winter than snow, we can get some of our worse storms starting from October to next March.
    I found the January day that it got to 16C as something exceptional and nice, a warm day in winter is just as exceptional as -16C.
    Heavy rainfall and storms can be interesting (if you aren't living in a flood plain), a dry period with decent winter temperatures can be very nice and pleasant plus good for farming.

Rant is near over :pac:

I would much prefer a varied winter, a winter with snow from November to the end of March would be a disaster for Ireland, very boring and would kill people and wildlife.

Last winter was good we got proper winter weather but then we got really nice weather and the country got back to normal.

The fact is we will get snow this winter, have patience, it is just frozen water droplets, great for some people, hardship for others and probably worse this winter with reports some people are cutting back on food so they can pay mortgages, no doubt some houses will be cutting back on heating so a varied winter would be the best thing for this country as we must think of others rather than wishing for Arctic conditions to last for months, if it happens then it will not be a great thing for some.
    I don't mind people posting about snow in one thread as already mentioned but there is more to winter weather than snow, one doesn't have to love cold weather but we have to take what we get rather than wishing for snow or whatever else that comes.

btw Niall, people are only talking about hurricanes furing the hurricane season and it is the same for tornadoes apart from those who are arranging storm chasing trips which is fine.
    We have people on this forum who talk about their want of snow during the summer, how many Atlantic hurricane threads were created during the winter?

Advertisement