Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuarial and Financial Studies 2011/2012

Options
  • 31-08-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am an incoming UCD first year student who will be studying DN230 Actuarial and Financial Studies. Module/Elective registration opens on the 2nd of September but I am unsure which electives are the best to take.

I notice on the SIS web that I am already registered to modules such as numbers and functions, linear algebra and statistical modelling. Yet I don't seem to be already registered to introduction to programming and financial accounting. Do I have to register to these myself?

Has anyone who has done this course any recommendations or advice on choosing electives? I would really appreaciate some advice or feedback from people who have done, or are presently doing, this course! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hi, I'm going into second year of this course!

No you don't have to register to anything apart from electives - the rest are core modules, and you should be registered to them automatically.

The two electives I did are:
    STAT10010 (Introductory Statistics) - quite easy, as basically it's the exact same stuff as STAT10050 (Intro to Statistical Modelling) but slightly easier. It's a much larger lecture though, with more people in it, but the lecturer is good and the exam is fine!

COMP10030 Algorithmic Problem Solving - again, I ended up taking this elective just by chance, but it is very easy, and was actually interesting (and fun) - you basically solve puzzles (e.g. river crossings) using algorithmic logic. It seems difficult at first, but by the end of the module it's quite easy, and the exam we got was based mostly on puzzles we'd seen before in some shape or form!

However, the problem is both those electives are offered only in the first semester, so doing both of them would mean that you do 7 modules in the first semester, but only 5 in the second semester - the 'ideal' is to have 6 modules in each, but you can have 7/5 if you want (it means an extra exam at Christmas though).

Other people in my class took electives like Economics and Society.

Of course, electives don't have to be related to the degree - if you like languages you can take an elective in a language, e.g. French, German, Spanish, Polish, etc. In fact it is 'recommended' that you take a language (it used to be compulsory to take a language as part of this degree, but it no longer is). I am terrible at learning languages so I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

Hi, I'm going into second year of this course!

No you don't have to register to anything apart from electives - the rest are core modules, and you should be registered to them automatically.

The two electives I did are:
    STAT10010 (Introductory Statistics) - quite easy, as basically it's the exact same stuff as STAT10050 (Intro to Statistical Modelling) but slightly easier. It's a much larger lecture though, with more people in it, but the lecturer is good and the exam is fine!

COMP10030 Algorithmic Problem Solving - again, I ended up taking this elective just by chance, but it is very easy, and was actually interesting (and fun) - you basically solve puzzles (e.g. river crossings) using algorithmic logic. It seems difficult at first, but by the end of the module it's quite easy, and the exam we got was based mostly on puzzles we'd seen before in some shape or form!

However, the problem is both those electives are offered only in the first semester, so doing both of them would mean that you do 7 modules in the first semester, but only 5 in the second semester - the 'ideal' is to have 6 modules in each, but you can have 7/5 if you want (it means an extra exam at Christmas though).

Other people in my class took electives like Economics and Society.

Of course, electives don't have to be related to the degree - if you like languages you can take an elective in a language, e.g. French, German, Spanish, Polish, etc. In fact it is 'recommended' that you take a language (it used to be compulsory to take a language as part of this degree, but it no longer is). I am terrible at learning languages so I didn't!

Hiya! Thanks for getting back to me! :D

Oh I see what you mean....it makes sense when its explained to you! I felt sort of helpless today, because it's all so new! :)

I might do that STAT10010 (Introductory Statistics) module you recommended, I was sort of thinking about that one anyway. I've already decided that I'm going to do a module in German, because it was one of my favourite subjects in school! It's nice to know though that we have the choice!

As a matter of interest, how did you find the core elements the degree programme? Do you find the course difficult?

Grace :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was completely confused by all the electives and options this time last year as well, I'm sure I started a thread just like this as well!

No I didn't find the core subjects too hard, I really enjoyed the year! The maths modules (Numbers and Functions and Linear Algebra, and in the second semester Differential and Integral Calculus) are tricky, and quite different from LC-style maths, but manageable at the same time! Numbers and Functions gets very tricky, but the lecturer is excellent (we had Robert Osburn, hopefully you'll have the same guy!).

The only modules that count towards the actuarial exam exemptions in first year is Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics and Financial Accounting 1, so make sure you do as well in these as you can - generally for exemption modules try and aim for at least an A- (an A- is 70%, an A is 73.33% and an A+ is anything over 76.67%, except for modules that start with the code MATH, in that case an A- is 70%, an A is 80%, and an A+ is 90% or over). But those modules aren't too bad, both micro and macro economics are in the form of multiple choice exams (with no negative marking), and the financial accounting isn't too difficult, especially if you have done accounting for the leaving cert.

If you like German definitely do it as an elective! See here for more information about taking a language, as I don't know much about it! http://www.ucd.ie/alc/index.html

Make sure to check what language level you are at - if you did it for the LC, then you have to take a certain level - not beginner's German, as that would be a bit too easy :p

I was completely confused by all the electives and options this time last year as well, I'm sure I started a thread just like this as well!

No I didn't find the core subjects too hard, I really enjoyed the year! The maths modules (Numbers and Functions and Linear Algebra, and in the second semester Differential and Integral Calculus) are tricky, and quite different from LC-style maths, but manageable at the same time! Numbers and Functions gets very tricky, but the lecturer is excellent (we had Robert Osburn, hopefully you'll have the same guy!).

The only modules that count towards the actuarial exam exemptions in first year is Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics and Financial Accounting 1, so make sure you do as well in these as you can - generally for exemption modules try and aim for at least an A- (an A- is 70%, an A is 73.33% and an A+ is anything over 76.67%, except for modules that start with the code MATH, in that case an A- is 70%, an A is 80%, and an A+ is 90% or over). But those modules aren't too bad, both micro and macro economics are in the form of multiple choice exams (with no negative marking), and the financial accounting isn't too difficult, especially if you have done accounting for the leaving cert.

If you like German definitely do it as an elective! See here for more information about taking a language, as I don't know much about it! http://www.ucd.ie/alc/index.html

Make sure to check what language level you are at - if you did it for the LC, then you have to take a certain level - not beginner's German, as that would be a bit too easy :p

Hiya!

Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it! :D I didn't know that Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics and Financial Accounting 1, counted as exemption modules. I must do well on them so! I did economics and accounting for the leaving cert, so hopefully that will be a help! I presume that the micro- and macro-economics are both core modules? I was on the SISweb there and neither of them are listed under core modules for actuarial and fin studies. Is this usual?

Ya I know I have to choose the level of German carefully, sure it'd be silly to be going back to square 1 again! :) Been working on that the past few days.

Grace :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hey, I'm in 3rd year of this course, or I will be next Monday.

Micro and macro aren't listed as you can do them in either semester, you have to choose.

I did micro then macro. It involved 4 9am starts in Semester 1, but it was worth it. When macro rolled around I had such a better understanding of everything and ended up doing better than classmates who did macro then micro!

Re the electives, I did Irish in first year, both semesters. If you like a language, go with it - makes a nice change from all the numbers!!

Overall my advice would be, work hard, but play hard too - first year is really the only year you get to play hard ;)

• Advertisement

I'd also recommend doing Micro in semester 1, and then Macro in semester 2. It gives you two extra 9am starts (you'd have 4 in semester 1 as opposed to 2) and there's also an annoying 5pm-6pm lecture on Tuesdays, but I think doing Micro first gives you a better understanding of economics (but bear in mind, I didn't do economics for the leaving cert so everything was new to me!). Also, if you do this, when macro rolls around in the second semester, you will have a choice of times to do it at - you can pick the same times as you had economics before (Monday 9am, Tuesday 5pm, Wednesday 9am is what it was for me) or pick a slightly different time, with no extra 9am starts.

But you can do it in either order. In fact, I'd say more people in my class did Macro first than did Micro first, probably because of the 9 o clock starts! :)

If you've done accounting, then Financial Accounting 1 won't be too difficult - it is aimed at all students, regardless of whether they have done accounting or not, so a lot of the material will be familiar to you - although a lot of it has different names (Profit and Loss account is called the Income Statement, Balance Sheet is called the Statement of Financial Position, because these are the most up-to-date names as laid down by business law!)

misslt wrote: »
    Hey, I'm in 3rd year of this course, or I will be next Monday.

Micro and macro aren't listed as you can do them in either semester, you have to choose.

I did micro then macro. It involved 4 9am starts in Semester 1, but it was worth it. When macro rolled around I had such a better understanding of everything and ended up doing better than classmates who did macro then micro!

Re the electives, I did Irish in first year, both semesters. If you like a language, go with it - makes a nice change from all the numbers!!

Overall my advice would be, work hard, but play hard too - first year is really the only year you get to play hard ;)

Hiya!

Oh thanks for that....I puzzled when I didn't see the micro and macro there! I did economics for the LC but I'll take your advice and do micro then macro. I personally think macro is easier, so I'll get the harder stuff out of the way with! :)

You did Irish...neat! Was it hard? I'm definitely intent on doing German, but hadn't really thought about the Irish. Would you have to be like fluent though? I got an A1 in LCH Irish, but Irish in college sounds sort of scary! :)

As a matter of interest how do you find the course? Is it difficult or manageable?

Thanks for your help,
    Grace :D

I'd also recommend doing Micro in semester 1, and then Macro in semester 2. It gives you two extra 9am starts (you'd have 4 in semester 1 as opposed to 2) and there's also an annoying 5pm-6pm lecture on Tuesdays, but I think doing Micro first gives you a better understanding of economics (but bear in mind, I didn't do economics for the leaving cert so everything was new to me!). Also, if you do this, when macro rolls around in the second semester, you will have a choice of times to do it at - you can pick the same times as you had economics before (Monday 9am, Tuesday 5pm, Wednesday 9am is what it was for me) or pick a slightly different time, with no extra 9am starts.

But you can do it in either order. In fact, I'd say more people in my class did Macro first than did Micro first, probably because of the 9 o clock starts! :)

If you've done accounting, then Financial Accounting 1 won't be too difficult - it is aimed at all students, regardless of whether they have done accounting or not, so a lot of the material will be familiar to you - although a lot of it has different names (Profit and Loss account is called the Income Statement, Balance Sheet is called the Statement of Financial Position, because these are the most up-to-date names as laid down by business law!)

Hi again!

Ya I will definitely take your advice on the micro and macro. I personally think that macro is easier, so I'd be happy to get the micro out of the way with! :D Don't mind the 9am starts to much, I'm sort of a morning person anyways!

Thanks for the heads up on the accounting. I'm glad there's not going to be too much new stuff in it. I get what you mean about the headings, I won't let it put me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GabbyG

Hiya DANCE111. Like Timbuk2, I'm also going into second year of the course.

Timbuk2 and misslt, I think they changed the timetables a bit this year and thus, Microeconomics actually has the "nicer" scheduling for the first semester(and Macroeconomics for the second semester). So DANCE111, you don't have to worry about the 9 am starts.:)

GabbyG wrote: »
    Hiya DANCE111. Like Timbuk2, I'm also going into second year of the course.

Timbuk2 and misslt, I think they changed the timetables a bit this year and thus, Microeconomics actually has the "nicer" scheduling for the first semester(and Macroeconomics for the second semester). So DANCE111, you don't have to worry about the 9 am starts.:)

Thanks for that Gabby G.....I do appreciate it! Im definitely going to do micro, then macro. I can register later today, happy days! :)

• Advertisement

Hi Guys....

I tried registering for Microeconomics for semester 1, and Macroeconomics for semester 2(like ye advised), but an error pops up saying:

"Registration Errors 65428 ECON10010 Principles of Microeconomics Time conflict with CRN 33918"

CRN 33918 is MATH10040 Numbers and Functions.

However I checked my calendar. For all weeks in semester 1, microeconomics is offered 3 times per week. My timetable only clashes with two of these! I have one free spot in the week for microeconomics for semester 1, but I can't register to it!

Any ideas what I should do, anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GabbyG

DANCE111 wrote: »
    Hi Guys....

I tried registering for Microeconomics for semester 1, and Macroeconomics for semester 2(like ye advised), but an error pops up saying:

"Registration Errors 65428 ECON10010 Principles of Microeconomics Time conflict with CRN 33918"

CRN 33918 is MATH10040 Numbers and Functions.

However I checked my calendar. For all weeks in semester 1, microeconomics is offered 3 times per week. My timetable only clashes with two of these! I have one free spot in the week for microeconomics for semester 1, but I can't register to it!

Any ideas what I should do, anyone???

I should have checked the Numbers and Functions timetable. It looks like it clashes with Principles of Microeconomics(during Tuesday if I'm reading it right). And there seems to be no second offering available for Micro in the first semester unlike last year. Hmm...It looks like you're forced to do Macro for the first semester:(. I might be wrong though. I don't know why UCD would even give you the freedom of opting when to do Micro if it clashes with one of your semester 1 core modules in the first place.

That is strange. I remember there being two offerings of Micro in semester 1 last year, but one of them we couldn't do due to a module clash, but we could do the other offering! This doesn't seem to be the case now!

They seem to have switched Micro and Macro, because Macro is being offered in semester 1 at the Micro times (Mon and Wed 9am, Tuesday 5pm). Which is a bit of a shame but it's not a huge issue - you don't need to have done Macro to understand Micro, and vice versa.

An interesting page is the general module timetable http://www.ucd.ie/registry/generalreferencetimetable.html

Select BHSCI008 BAFS, then select 'All types' and then Stage 1 (you may need to press View Timetable and then select Stage 1 again) and you can see the general timetable - it shows all the possible times for lectures, tutorials and labs (remember, most modules you only register to one tutorial and one lab [if the subject has a lab] so it'll look a lot bigger than your actual timetable will be). You can just select 'Lectures' either.

GabbyG wrote: »
    I should have checked the Numbers and Functions timetable. It looks like it clashes with Principles of Microeconomics(during Tuesday if I'm reading it right). And there seems to be no second offering available for Micro in the first semester unlike last year. Hmm...It looks like you're forced to do Macro for the first semester:(. I might be wrong though. I don't know why UCD would even give you the freedom of opting when to do Micro if it clashes with one of your semester 1 core modules in the first place.

Thanks for that, at least I know I'm not the only one. Why they decided to change the times is beyond me, but sure at least we will all be in the same boat, I guess! So, it's macro then micro, for this year....got it....thanks! :)

That is strange. I remember there being two offerings of Micro in semester 1 last year, but one of them we couldn't do due to a module clash, but we could do the other offering! This doesn't seem to be the case now!

They seem to have switched Micro and Macro, because Macro is being offered in semester 1 at the Micro times (Mon and Wed 9am, Tuesday 5pm). Which is a bit of a shame but it's not a huge issue - you don't need to have done Macro to understand Micro, and vice versa.

An interesting page is the general module timetable http://www.ucd.ie/registry/generalreferencetimetable.html

Select BHSCI008 BAFS, then select 'All types' and then Stage 1 (you may need to press View Timetable and then select Stage 1 again) and you can see the general timetable - it shows all the possible times for lectures, tutorials and labs (remember, most modules you only register to one tutorial and one lab [if the subject has a lab] so it'll look a lot bigger than your actual timetable will be). You can just select 'Lectures' either.

Thanks for that, at least I'm not the only one! Was beginning to wonder if one of the sem.1 micros had been booked out. I honestly don't know why they switched them this year, but sure we're all in the same boat, I suppose! :) Macro, then micro.....should be fine! That link you posted was really good, seriously didn't know it existed! You're a star! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 asmith1223

DANCE111 wrote: »
    I am an incoming UCD first year student who will be studying DN230 Actuarial and Financial Studies. Module/Elective registration opens on the 2nd of September but I am unsure which electives are the best to take.

I notice on the SIS web that I am already registered to modules such as numbers and functions, linear algebra and statistical modelling. Yet I don't seem to be already registered to introduction to programming and financial accounting. Do I have to register to these myself?

Has anyone who has done this course any recommendations or advice on choosing electives? I would really appreaciate some advice or feedback from people who have done, or are presently doing, this course! :)

Hi was doing some last google searches on this course before i put it on my CAO and this came up. I plan on doing it for 2012/2013 if all goes well. So far i am just going by what i have seen on websites and a guidance councellor and like the course but would like any inside views from anyone who posted here on what the course is like. From a difficulty and social aspect. And also how similar it is to subjects i enjoy in school (maths, applied maths, accounting economics.... and physics if it matters).

Any answer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement