Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio doors

• 31-08-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

My double glazed patio doors are all misted up. In other words the seal is broken on both doors. I have been quoated 350 for each glass panel.
    Is this a good price ?
    Do I have to get new panels ?
    Can panel not be repaired ?

Thanks in advance from she who knows nothing.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

You would prob replace the whole doors for that money or at least not far off anyway

I don't know if they an be repaired unless they are gas filled if they are gas they could probably be refilled

also make sure there is a vent in the room no matter how good the unit is it will still fog up with no circulation through the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

My double glazed patio doors are all misted up. In other words the seal is broken on both doors. I have been quoated 350 for each glass panel.
    Is this a good price ?
    Do I have to get new panels ?
    Can panel not be repaired ?

Thanks in advance from she who knows nothing.:D

By misted up, do you mean inside the D/G unit, if so you are correct the seal is gone, and they need replacing.
    They should be Toughened glass, and while some glaziers will re-seal them I would recommend getting new Argon filled units.

350 each sounds a bit high, measure both units, width, and length, and ring a few Glass Co's in your area, and ask for a price to replace.

Air circulation has nothing to do with D/G units fogging up, its simply the seal breaking down, BTW there is usually a 10 yr guarantee on units, how old are they, and is the Co who fitted them still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lightningga

If you do go ahead and change/replace patio doors, just take 5 minutes to read through any terms on your lease/mortgage. From owning a leasehold property that required new patio doors, this was a problem I encountered as permission was required from the management company. I would guess if you own a Free-Hold property it shouldn't be a problem, but it is worth checking anyhow, as if you find yourself in a position where you would want to sell then this could be a question asked and you might be required to provide guarantees/dates/etc.

Advertisement