Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting my house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

well I got a really good deal on my home insurance, as I reduced the insurance on the contents it actually came down! I registered with PRTB and for now I think thats all I am doing, I will file a tax return next year, as the rent does not even cover the mortgage I cant imagine I will be taxed much. When do I loose my TRS?

The moment you walked out the door.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/tax-relief-source-mortgage-interest-relief.html#section5

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I wouldn't wish ill on anyone, but, becoming a landlord without having a clue what your doing is really asking for it these days.
    There's lots of threads about how to do what your doing, you really should read them and/or speak to an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

well I got a really good deal on my home insurance, as I reduced the insurance on the contents it actually came down! I registered with PRTB and for now I think thats all I am doing, I will file a tax return next year, as the rent does not even cover the mortgage I cant imagine I will be taxed much. When do I loose my TRS?

I'm afraid that's irrelevant.you have to pay tax on rental income at either the higher/lower rate unless you're operating the rent a room scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Unfortunately the OP has no idea what she is in for when it comes to file her tax return.

OP - my advice is talk to an accountant, and then start putting aside money for your tax bill. As a rule of thumb it will be approx 30% of what you are paid in rent (including relevant deductions). So. if you are renting your property for 10k this year, expect a 3k tax bill.

And, as many have said - it doesn't matter that your mortgage bill may exceed your rent. The rental income is subject to income tax, PRSI, USC and any other applicable taxes.

Advertisement