Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use Netgear Router as Repeater with UPC

Options
  • 31-08-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi. I recently got UPC 50Mb broadband but the Thomson TWG870UIR router is located in the front room and I want to restore the internet connection to a desktop PC that is located at the back of the house. My now unused Netgear N-300 router (model DGN2200) is located beside this desktop PC.
    I want to use the Netgear as a repeater. I have done the following but it doesn’t work:
    Thomson: Go to Wireless:Bridging. Enable the Wireless Bridging feature and enter the wireless MAC address of the Netgear. Nothing else changed so it is working on Channel 11 and DHCP Server is enabled
    Netgear:
    - Connected via ethernet to the desktop PC
    - Did a factory reset
    - Changed the channel from Auto to Channel 6
    - Changed SSID to reflect the same name as the Thomson (UPC00xxxxx)
    - No log-in or no security enabled. Also left Device Name as DGN2200
    - Changed LAN IP address to 192.168.0.4 (was set to 192.168.0.1 but the Thomson also uses that)
    - Enabled the Wireless Repeating Function, entered Repeater IP address as 192.168.0.1 (same as Thomson) and entered the MAC address of the Thomson in the section for Base Station MAC Address (Wireless Client Association is also disabled)

I cannot see the internet on the desktop that is connected via ethernet to the Netgear. If I go to ipconfig, it tells me the following:
    IP address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

If i ping 192.168.0.1, I get a reply from 192.168.0.4 saying that the Destination host is unreachable
    Pings statistics from 192.168.0.1 say that 4 packets were sent, three were received and one was lost

I then went back in, I don't seem to have an option to disable the use of the Netgear as a DHCP server

What am I doing wrong. Am I close. Any advice gratefully accepted

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why the large font? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Obvious apologies but where is the large font? Looks fine on my laptop and the same size as on your message. Used a word document to list everything that happened as I went along and then pasted it in. It might be causing a problem but I can't see anything wrong. You might let me know. Should I re-type the issue :confused:

Advertisement