Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of ADSL does Eircom use in Dublin

Options
  • 31-08-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm thinking about adding a dual band router and one option would be a NetGear N300 unit which includes and ADSL modem.

This would mean I could ditch the netopia modem/router and just use a 1 box solution.

I've read on various boards that the NetGear unit doesn't like old style ADSL1 but works great with ADSL2 and ADSL2+.

Am I nieve in assuming that Eircom NGB at 8Megs (about 4.5 in reality) is an ADSL2 service??

Cheers - Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The only definitive way to find out is to ask eircom if your line is adsl2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

NGB at 8Mbps is grenerally ADSL1, but moved this thread to eircom forum for the definitive answer.

A DSL modem that doesn't support ADSL1 is not a very good choice of modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Mcofferon wrote: »
    I'm thinking about adding a dual band router and one option would be a NetGear N300 unit which includes and ADSL modem.

This would mean I could ditch the netopia modem/router and just use a 1 box solution.

I've read on various boards that the NetGear unit doesn't like old style ADSL1 but works great with ADSL2 and ADSL2+.

Am I nieve in assuming that Eircom NGB at 8Megs (about 4.5 in reality) is an ADSL2 service??

Cheers - Mike
    Hi Mcofferon
    Whether you are on ADSL2 or not depends your local exchange.
    NGB broadband is not necessarily delivered over ADSL2.
    If you PM me your tel. number I can advise you if your exchange / line is ADSL2 or not.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

if you are on an up to 8mb package, or the non ngb equivilant then its adsl

if you are on the up to 24mb package it is adsl2+

even on an adsl2 exchange the lower speeds (8mb or less) use adsl

Advertisement