Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin 500 vs road shoes

• 31-08-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hey guys, what would be more important

Something like a garmin edge 500(with heart beat/cadence) so I can monitor myself as I ride

Or getting some decent road shoes (like the specialized pros) for the added stiffness and performance

I have a cheap enough specialized computer at the moment which does the usual plus av.cadence and max.cad(not current though :( ) and like wise I have some entry level spd shoes and cleats

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

As usual, the advice would vary depending on what you're seeking to achieve with the cycling. However, for what it's worth, I'd generally priortise anything that makes the actual experience of cycling easier, which in this case means the shoes. That needn't mean spending a fortune incidentally: I use these which cost about €60, are stiff and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

rflynnr wrote: »
    As usual, the advice would vary depending on what you're seeking to achieve with the cycling.

Ahh, sorry. I'm looking to get my race licence next year and start competing, and maybe try the Wicklow 200 or something similar

rflynnr wrote: »
    That needn't mean spending a fortune incidentally: I use these which cost about €60, are stiff and comfortable.

They actually don't look half bad, but I'm a little worried about them not being rated for stiffness (but maybe a bit of research would give me an answer)
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'd go for the Garmin first to keep track of your training progress and pick up some bling shoes later.

BTW I don't think fancy shoes are going to make you any faster than entry level shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Wear your shoes tighter!

Also, cycle from within! That is, feel your limits yourself and not be dependent on the hr monitor or cadence to tell you how you are doing. Old school cycling to develop yourself and then the doo-hickies to fine tune it.

Dubba wrote: »
    I'd go for the Garmin first to keep track of your training progress and pick up some bling shoes later.

BTW I don't think fancy shoes are going to make you any faster than entry level shoes.

A garmin sure as sh1t won't either!

• Advertisement

But can help you train smarter, which will...

But can help you train smarter

Go on...

As I said in my first post, by tracking your training progress.

It logs all your ride data (distance, time, HR, cadence, elevation, etc, etc)
    which you can use to set up a training programme or just compare efforts on the same route.

As I said in my first post, by tracking your training progress.

It logs all your ride data (distance, time, HR, cadence, elevation, etc, etc)
    which you can use to set up a training programme or just compare efforts on the same route.

Did you set up a training programme based on this? I doubt very many cyclists have. I disagree that at our level a garmin or other can improve ones cycling. I have a 705 and find it useful for info only with the actual learning coming from actual feeling while on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

A wise man once told me, there's 3 points of contact between your body and your bike. Your hands, feet and arse. Spend money here and then worry about the other stuff. Once you're comfortable with these 3 areas then buy the bling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

Statler wrote: »
    A wise man once told me, there's 3 points of contact between your body and your bike. Your hands, feet and arse. Spend money here and then worry about the other stuff. Once you're comfortable with these 3 areas then buy the bling.

Totally agree. Probably one of the best pieces of advice I've seen written on this Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

I picked up a garmin 500 a few months ago I think it has changed my cycling in a number of ways. Being able to track every aspect my rides, the climbing / cadence / heart rate has given me a lot more insight. The proof for me is that I have dropped my 11k commute to work from a previous fastest of around 23 minutes beforehand to under 21 minutes now.

My shoes are basic enough only spent around 80 quid on them, they can be easily upgraded over time but Im hoping to have the Garmin for a bit longer than the shoes!

Im sure a more basic cycling computer would do the same thing in many ways, of course your performance is purely down to the effort you put in, but if you are a bit of a data wh0re ( like me biggrin.gif ) I think the Garmin is a must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shoes and a watch.

Or HRM and a turbo trainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Has to be the shoes. Since I began cycling in earnest I have lost 4 stone in weight. Since I bought a Garmin 500 I have put back on a stone.
    Some training aid !!!!

Garmins make you fat - don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Strange that the op's computer records avg and max cadence but not current? Never heard od that before, doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Defo on the shoes.

Cadence is a nice little extra, but unless you are really trying to make changes to your cycling it really isn't something to worry about. As someone already said it is better to base these things on feel. Do you feel you are mashing the pedals when cycling along, then possibly concentrate on faster cadence for a few weeks and see how it goes.

I have actual cadence but very rarely look at it during a ride, whatever I am turning is what I'm turning, I know if I'm not comfortable in the gear range in am in.

I have a Garmin, it is a great piece of kit and the about on info and the applications on the net for the use of the info is great, but it doesn't 'help' with making me go any faster. (Although I'm not sure if changing for a decent pair of shoes to a bling pair will necessarily make much difference either) Of course it all depends on the level you are at/hoping to get to.

The best cyclist in our group doesn't normally even use a computer. He has a simple speedometer type computer. No lap, cadence, HR functions. He says that when he's training he trains as hard as he can, when he is not looking to train hard he doesn't. Simple!!!!

ROK ON wrote: »
    Since I bought a Garmin 500 I have put back on a stone.

Read the small print - garmins can help maintain a certain weight level only as part of a controlled diet that includes two pots of danone actimel with new biffidus full-of-sh1tus a day!

Advertisement