Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix park tea rooms

Options
  • 31-08-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

Was in the phoenix park tea rooms yesterday morning with a friend,Its a lovely relaxing place and i enjoyed sitting there & chilling out, Anyway we got two mexican Chile wraps,one cup of normal tea and one herbal tea and the total came to nearly 18 euros,I thought that was very expensive, and shant be getting my wraps or tea there anymore, Would any one else think that is to much or is it just me ? Cant see tourists impressed with them type of prices.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

where are the phoenix park tea rooms ?

obviously, in the park but is it at the visitor centre? had an horrendous quiche there and they charged me a fortune for the pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

irish bird wrote: »
    where are the phoenix park tea rooms ?

obviously, in the park but is it at the visitor centre? had an horrendous quiche there and they charged me a fortune for the pleasure

Going up chesterfield ave from parkgate st,its is just before the right turn for Dublin Zoo in 100 yards from the main rd.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Yes that's them, used to be the old "Nunc".
    The food can vary but the prices are always on the high side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

realies wrote: »
    Going up chesterfield ave from parkgate st,its is just before the right turn for Dublin Zoo in 100 yards from the main rd.:)

Thought you were talking about Ashtown Castle Visitor's center.
    You are talking of the Kiosk near the Zoo.

No1J wrote: »

Yep that's it. Its a bit bigger than a kiosk with seats inside and of course out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Do they at least do anything fancy like toast the wrap and put a load of salad on the side for you? I'm in the park a lot but it never occurs to me to go to the tea rooms.

Do they at least do anything fancy like toast the wrap and put a load of salad on the side for you? I'm in the park a lot but it never occurs to me to go to the tea rooms.

Have to say the wraps were lovely and yes a very small salad on side.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

No1J wrote: »

thats the place i was talking about - never again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Always make a beeline there when in the area. Perfect spot for coffee, cake etc but can't comment on the cooked food.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I always just use their jax when I'm out walking :D

No other toilet facilities in the park as far as I can see?? Which is a disgrace.. I've also noticed a huge lack of bins in the Park aswel..

One day I bought a bottle of water off the ice-cream van at the zoo and I had to carry the empty bottle all the way back to the Castleknock gate :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Cochore

xzanti wrote: »
    Aw, crap, I don't know which 1 carat diamond encrusted platinum ring to buy! One day I bought a bottle of water off the ice-cream van at the zoo and I had to carry the empty bottle all the way back to the Castleknock gate :confused:

Talk about a first world problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Cochore wrote: »

So would your solution be a) leave rubbish in the park or b) Add a few bins in the park ?

I agree neither helps the poor in the third world in any way, but it would help with a minor local problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cochore

Polar101 wrote: »
    So would your solution be a) leave rubbish in the park or b) Add a few bins in the park ?

I agree neither helps the poor in the third world in any way, but it would help with a minor local problem.

The solution is clearly to have a few more bins in the park, but having to carry an empty bottle that weighs just a few grams is a very minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I haven't been there in a while but the last time I was there the prices were on the menu so they shouldn't come as a shock to you. It is expensive but I don't think tourist would be surprised as Dublin is expensive for tea/coffee and sit down snacks.

There certainly used to be bins near the picnic table areas - don't know if they are still there. I remember seeing one of them on fire- perhaps due to one shot barbecues being disposed in it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Cochore wrote: »

The crux of my complaint was not having to carry the bottle ffs.. I was pointing out the fact that there was not one bin between the Zoo and the Castleknock gate.

What that even has to do with buying diamonds? I will never know.

I haven't been there in a while but the last time I was there the prices were on the menu so they shouldn't come as a shock to you. It is expensive but I don't think tourist would be surprised as Dublin is expensive for tea/coffee and sit down snacks.

There certainly used to be bins near the picnic table areas - don't know if they are still there. I remember seeing one of them on fire- perhaps due to one shot barbecues being disposed in it

No menus anymore, But when you go inside there is a blackboard above the service hatch with prices etc, not very clear though and it can be missed,;)just saying.

When i do go back it will be just tea for me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

A friend of mine who works in the zoo told me that John Wayne visited the tea rooms. They had a couple of original pictures of his visit on the wall which were binned when they did it up, a few years ago. A few from the zoo searched through the skips but couldnt find them. Dont know if its an urban myth but thats what I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

thomur wrote: »
    A friend of mine who works in the zoo told me that John Wayne visited the tea rooms. They had a couple of original pictures of his visit on the wall which were binned when they did it up, a few years ago. A few from the zoo searched through the skips but couldnt find them. Dont know if its an urban myth but thats what I was told

This is true. They used to have a set pf photos of film stars who visited the Phoenix Park in the 1950's and 60's. John Wayne was definitely one of them.

Advertisement