Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling to Work

• 31-08-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

Just started a new job, and have decided to start cycling to work.

Whenever I see people cycling here, they nearly always have the whole gear on, spandex, cleats etc. It's a very small office however, and I've nowhere to change or store clothes there.

I was just wondering how everyone else managed this and still look (and smell) presentable. I usually wear slacks, a long sleeved shirt and nice shoes, though I suspect I'd ruin the latter cyling with them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

How long is your commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well I have access to a shower in work, but if I didn't what i'd do would be:
    - have a shower with some antibacterial soap before you head out on your work cycle
    - leave slacks in work, is there a locker, drawer, cabinet you could use for storage?
    - avoid wearing cotton on your cycle, it heats you up and absorbs sweat, ends up stinky
    - dont get dressed in your work clothes until you've cooled down.
    - use a serious de-oderant, not an antiperspirant. Mitchum stuff is good I think

I bring a pair of underpants and a shirt in everyday and leave shoes in work. I bring a change of trousers every 2nd day and my backpack isn't heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I sometimes work in an office with no shower or storage. So I wear spanzies for the commute. Wash in the sink. Then change into clothes I leave folded up in the corner. Hang the cycling gear on a hanger on the door.

At the minute I'm in a factory with a shower but I'm not a full time employee so I don't have a locker. So I carry my clothes in a pannier bag. I don't have to look presentable but it is possible to keep clothes neat in panniers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's a 4 mile commute mostly flat. Managed to do it in jeans and a t shirt in 30 minutes without breaking a sweat, but a shirt might be a different story.

And it's not really practical to get changed at work, all we have is a tiny bathroom cubicle. Shoes would be about the extent I could manage to keep at work. Definitely not shirts.

4 miles on the flat is grand. I'd say just wear whatever you want but:

-Have mudguards on the bike
    -Have a chainguard
    -Take it handy

If it's raining you will probably want a waterproof pants and jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭WilcoYHF

I'm in the same situation except I've a little longer to cycle. I just bring my shoes and clothes in a backpack and cycle in football shirt and shorts. I bring a small towel and scrub up in the jacks. My shirt comes out of the back a little creased which is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've heard tell that rolling up a shirt is less likely to crease than folding it. Haven't tried it myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

If you can only use a toilet cubicle and have no easy access to a sink then use baby wipes to freshen up. I carry a few in a ziploc bag rather than lug around a whole packet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Sandwich/Ziploc Bags are good for keeping creases out of folded and ironed shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Use panniers rather than a back-pack. Much less sweat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

spandex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

would cycling 30km to work and cycling another 30km back home be to difficult and time consuming to do. this would be cycling from inverin in to galway city

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

would cycling 30km to work and cycling another 30km back home be to difficult and time consuming to do. this would be cycling from inverin in to galway city
    Should be doable in and around the 1hr, if you don't have too many lights/junctions. I did a 33km commute for six months, but half of that was across Dublin, so I was lucky to do it in much less than 1:10, but more like 1:20/1:30; back to a civilized 25km now, 0:42 to 1:00 depending on the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dexif

Definitely baby wipes are the way to go. Also if u wrap an ironed shirt around an a4 hard clipboard it helps keeps creases away.

your a fast cyclist. it usual takes me 1hr to do 25km around my area which has a good few hills and is an exposed area cause of the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

My commute is about 25 kilometres, I can do that in about an hour, but when the weather is against me about 1 hour 15 mins. I am lucky in that I can grab a quick shower in work, before I start.

I love cycling to work now, but I do have the option of driving. I find it does something to me, it de-stresses me, makes me fitter, I save a fortune and in general it puts a smile on my face.

It started out as a challenge I was going to cycle to work for a month, but that was 8 months ago and I am still doing it. I will probably start driving to work again soon as the weather turns, but I certainly will still cycle to work at least twice a week.

I really would miss it if I ever had to stop for some reason. I recommend to anyone. Also I will add, I am shocked I am so into it and so are my fam and friends. I can't believe I have discovered these amazing machines and activity now in my forties.

4leto wrote: »
    It started out as a challenge I was going to cycle to work for a month, but that was 8 months ago and I am still doing it. I will probably start driving to work again soon as the weather turns, but I certainly will still cycle to work at least twice a week.

Betcha don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Betcha don't...

I probably wont, but it is 1 hour on the road, each way, in the cold as our winters can be. I enjoy my cycle commute but the wet and cold may ruin that.

But as Billy Connelly there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. So I will see I suppose.

would it be dangerous to cycle on (unlit)country roads in winter when its dark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used too, no more dangerous than anywhere else IMO.

Just make sure you have awesome lights (I have edelux which are basically car lights), that way any dodgy drivers will think there is a car on the approach and slow down accordingly.

• Advertisement

4leto wrote: »
    I probably wont, but it is 1 hour on the road, each way, in the cold as our winters can be. I enjoy my cycle commute but the wet and cold may ruin that.

But as Billy Connelly there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. So I will see I suppose.

Exactly. For winter commuting, I have two or three layers everywhere. Merino wool baselayer (brill), silk undergloves, neoprene overshoes (for when the toes get cold and for the heavy rain), thin headband for under the helmet (keeps the ears warm), Gore jacket (for the rainy days).

During last winter's snow I had about 4 layers on top (very handy for when I had to walk home 'cos I couldn't get traction on the under-snow ice...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Blisterman wrote: »
    It's a 4 mile commute mostly flat. Managed to do it in jeans and a t shirt in 30 minutes without breaking a sweat, but a shirt might be a different story.

In that case, do it in thirty minutes, put your everyday effects and your shirt in a pannier. Should be fine. No need to shower or do much else if you're taking it easy over a short distance like that.

For shorter distances, I just change my shirt after wiping myself down in the toilet with the shirt I've just been wearing (even if you do sweat, the bottom part of the shirt is usually dry, so use that).

The only issue then should be wet weather. Full, properly attached mudguards should be ok for that, with rain trousers and raincoat. Take it even slower when you're wearing raingear though.

BABY WIPES.

end of thread discussion on lack of showers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Good tips there on the cycling to work. I cycle 12km each way, have noticed as I've got fitter and wear more apporopriate cycle clothing (i.e. lycra!) that I sweat less. I have a back pack that I carry - holds the change of clothes, lunch and a few cycle repair thingies as well as my rain gear. Noty going to bother with panniers, as an IMF cyclist my road bike does everything:D! Generally spend a few minutes at my desk to recover, then head to the jacks for a towel down and a spot of lynx - never botlehered with the baby wipes, but sounds like a handy thing to have. Works for me anyway - most of my colleagues cycle as well, so no issues. I like the comments about the shirt and avoiding wrinkles, but I usually put mind in a big re-sealable bag - that keeps out of the worse of the wrinkles as well as protectiong it on the really wet mornings. I leave a pear of chinos in work, a pair of shoes as well, and just bring in a pair of skids and socks - so have it down a to a fine art now. Rainy days were a pain, but have invested in a pair of breathable shower proof leggings and booties, so hopefully a soaking from the waist down are a thing of the past.:D

From when you first started cycling to work till now have you notices a difference in the time it takes you to do the journey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

From when you first started cycling to work till now have you notices a difference in the time it takes you to do the journey?
    Definitely, when I started cycling first (about 3.5 years ago) from Corcullen to Dangan (Galway), 6km and it took me the guts of 50 minutes. That went to 30 in what now seems like no time. Same for when I moved out to Moycullen and 12.5km (was doing it in about 40 minutes before I moved). I use an app on my iPhone to track my cycles and it has been a great boost to look at the improvement (as well as the mileage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

cycle the country roads during daylight first. get to know the road, (cracks in the tarmac, potholes etc.). then stick to this route during the winter. By doing this, you'll be able to cycle at night more confidently. Use a very bright headlight, wear a reflective belt and at least two rear lights (one solid and one flashing).

I started on a MTB in Sept 2009, knobbly tyres and the whole lot - bit by bit, I made life easier - got SPD pedals and shoes (I found a big difference), changed knobblies to schwalbe slicks (easier, as well as cutting down the number of punctures) then converted to full lycra!! I picked up a second hand road bike in January and haven't looked back - now only use the MTB for pottering about with my five year old at the weekends and the odd time when my road bike is out of action. Am proud to say my five year old is cycling to school as well, so would like him to grow up with the attitude that a bike is an excellent form of transport.
    I don't enjoy the MTB on the commute when I have to use it - it takes a lot of effort to keep it at any decent pace and the upright position is not great. In terms of its ruggedness, well I find the road bike to be tougher than it looks - I upgraded my wheels to Mavic Askiums, have to say they're as tough as nails, obviously avoiding the big craters in the roads, but they still run through months later. Timewise, I do my 12km cycle (Carpenterstown to Smithfield) in about 25 mins, I shave off a few minutes if traffic is lighter / wind direction changes - and that's obeying all the lights as well:). Overall, very happy with level of fitness and noticed a big difference when I changed to the road bike - the levels are highter in terms of output. I do a few long spins at the weekends and have tried a few sportives which makes it an overall past time as opposed to just commuting.

if there was a row of very slow moving traffic do cars usually leave enough space on the left hand side for you to cycle past them?

• Advertisement

if there was a row of very slow moving traffic do cars usually leave enough space on the left hand side for you to cycle past them?

very rare that they wouldn't unless they plan to turn left in the near future.

so would have to stay behind them then or is cycling to the right of the cars dangerous (iv seen other cyclist doing this b4) or is there any other way around the situation?

Gotta be careful on the left, motorists have a nasty habit of turning left in front of you without warning and drivers generally assume it's ok to come from the rear and cut up cyclists. It's a mixed bag with cars, but i never trust them. A flashing strobe can help to get attention, and I find when I have this on it generally helps, but I would never trust a driver to see me on the left - it's a real blind spot. A car stopping means someone can swing open a left hand door without warning as well. In addition, you can be squeezed towards the kerb - happens if you have a car turning right, tendency is for the driver trying to get by and therefore squeeze you left - including going into the cycle lane, if one exists. So a lot to contend with! It's all about awareness and anticipation.
    I generally try and put myself between cars in that situation, i.e. slightly off middle, to the left of the car lane and taking up a space between cars - this puts me in a good position if the car in front suddenly veers left. Previous posters have described is as 'assertive' riding - and it takes a bit of practice IMHO. It's about having time to react, as well as preventing the car behind me overtaking and cutting me to the left, which happened me a good bit initially. If you're doing a regular commute, you'll get to know the danger points - I have altered my route to avoid the ones that were just becoming too dangerous.

so would have to stay behind them then or is cycling to the right of the cars dangerous (iv seen other cyclist doing this b4) or is there any other way around the situation?

Generally you can stay on the left, just be cautious at any opportunity for them to turn, alot of people do not indicate and only decide to turn last minute.

I cycle on the right when it is safe to do so or if I see the left side bottle necking further ahead, or I am coming to a junction where there is clearly alot more left turning traffic than a typical junction, I also find shouting CAREFUL in a loud but pleasant tone helps alert drivers if they look unsure of their want to turn or change of direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Overtaking on the right is theoretically safer, but the problem is that you will naturally go faster because you have more room (assuming no oncoming traffic), and in particularly heavy traffic, lots of people will suddenly and without indicating swing right to either take a side-road or do a U-turn.

It's a big conflict point for motorcyclists and I had a woman do exactly this to me yesterday, even though I saw her looking in the mirror and could see the whites of her eyes, she waited and decided to start her U-turn as I approached. I was going slow and far out enough though to get around her without too much panic. I still made the assumption that she'd seen me though, which I was wrong to do.

While this can also happen on the left, it's a lot more predictable (only happens at left-hand turns), and you are generally moving slower (absolutely and relatively) on the left so the potential damage is less.

Some drivers will always hug the kerb on a straight road. It's just because they're ****e drivers, and not for any other reason. I tend to specifically go around them on the right and then continue on down the left hand side.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    cycle the country roads during daylight first. get to know the road, (cracks in the tarmac, potholes etc.). then stick to this route during the winter. By doing this, you'll be able to cycle at night more confidently. Use a very bright headlight, wear a reflective belt and at least two rear lights (one solid and one flashing).

If you manage to fashion a pair of wrist lights, pretend to scratch the back of your head as cars approaches from behind. The sudden appearance of the light switches on whatever part of their brain is in charge of careful driving, and the gesture can't be interpreted as in any way aggressive or self-righteous. The wrist lights are also handy for signalling and similarly making sure oncoming traffic has seen you.

I seem to be the only person who uses them, so perhaps I'm just self-deluded.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Overtaking on the right is theoretically safer, but the problem is that you will naturally go faster because you have more room (assuming no oncoming traffic), and in particularly heavy traffic, lots of people will suddenly and without indicating swing right to either take a side-road or do a U-turn.

It's a while since this has happened to me, but that's one of the scarier things, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

CramCycle wrote: »
    I also find shouting CAREFUL in a loud but pleasant tone helps alert drivers if they look unsure of their want to turn or change of direction.

I thought that was my special catchphrase and tone :D.

It really works though. I imagine it's because it's not aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another thing to be aware of while cycling up the inside of a queue of stopped vehicles is drivers allowing oncoming traffic (or pedestrians) to make a right turn in front of them (i.e. your left). Very few drivers check their mirrors before gesturing to others and the other driver turns on the strength of this.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's a while since this has happened to me, but that's one of the scarier things, definitely.

if you had one of these you would be sorted:rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xtqCWra08&NR=1

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Nice fixie. The Danes go a bit too far,tho' Danish-N55

Another thing to be aware of while cycling up the inside of a queue of stopped vehicles is drivers allowing oncoming traffic (or pedestrians) to make a right turn in front of them (i.e. your left). Very few drivers check their mirrors before gesturing to others and the other driver turns on the strength of this.
    A similar situation can arise at yellow boxes.

Advertisement