Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend me a brilliant Sci-Fi TV show?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I'm hoping someone can recommend me a good Sci-Fi show.

I've tried getting into a few recently and have been really disappointed.

I really enjoyed season 1 of Heroes. The rest was ok, worth watching. Same with BSG - First series was amazing, the rest was.. worth watching.

I've been watching Fringe recently. I'm at around episode 8, season 1.
    It feels too much like a regular drama series shoehorned into the Sci-Fi genre. I mean, it's got drama, comedy, action, romance, all thrown into a long story arc, with shorter story arcs to keep you interested. It could be Greys anatomy for all I care. I don't like that feeling of being dragged along a very long arc with lots of filling, and very little payoff.

I was also recommended the new series of V, and Doctor Who. I got through a couple of episodes of both. I couldn't hack all the dodgy greenscreen stuff in V, and Doctor Who feels really novel, and kinda cheap.

A mate gave me Falling Skies but I'm reluctant to get into that based on what I've read about it.

Just so you don't think I'm a moany git who is impossible to please, here are some Sci-Fis I really enjoyed:
    BSG and Heroes, as mentioned.
    I also really enjoyed Firefly. Very entertaining, even though I'm not usually into too much comedy. The dialogue was great.

Maybe I need something gritty and unconventional. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've been eyeing up Lost, Torchwood, and The Prisoner.

What about the BSG spinoffs? Are they worth a look?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm about to watch Dark Skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Space: Above & Beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for the suggestions.

Had a look at clips from both on YouTube. Dark Skies looks like X-Files only less corny. Space - Above And Beyond looks like it could be very entertaining. Some nice design and post production by the looks of things.

I'll look into both in more detail when I have time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

condra wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Had a look at clips from both on YouTube. Dark Skies looks like X-Files only less corny. Space - Above And Beyond looks like it could be very entertaining. Some nice design and post production by the looks of things.

I'll look into both in more detail when I have time.
    Both are good shows but bear in mind that both were cancelled after one season with plot arcs outstanding. Dark Skies had plans for multiple seasons.

However, there are better shows. Babylon 5 is a must. It is a proper space opera with story arcs plotted in advance over years. It also features some of the best characters ever in the genre.

Farscape is also a great show. It's off the wall and far more inventive than others. Lots of humour, great characters and original.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Dark Skies was great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

'Firefly' sounds exactly what you need, no aliens, no laser-guns (maybe 1 untill it ran out of power) , no soap-drama, great actors. Wild west like set in the aftermath of a failed independence war by colonisated planets, grity, humour, well thought out storyline.
    -can be hard to get into at first as so unlike the standard sci-fi and regarded by many as the best sci-fi ever made, which make's the star-trek-utopia-world look silly/unrealistic.
    It was dropped because the general public didn't get it.

If you like Castle, same actor.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 141 ✭✭moomooman

"Falling Skies" is a decent show. First few episodes were a bit slow I thought, didnt really see myself watching the series but it gets better.

V is something I'm following, pacey at least, keeps moving ahead without the screeching halt of prolonged family bonding moments or cute kid syndrome that you get with anything Spielberg related like "Taken" or "Falling Skies".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Have you tried SG-1?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Yeah, Firefly is excellent. I'm watching Falling Skies at the moment and I'm finding it enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

. I mean, it's got drama, comedy, action, romance, all thrown into a long story arc,

The same could be said about Star Trek, The X files, The Outer Limits, Dr Who, or any other main stream sci fi series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It feels too much like a regular drama series shoehorned into the Sci-Fi genre. I mean, it's got drama, comedy, action, romance, all thrown into a long story arc, with shorter story arcs to keep you interested. It could be Greys anatomy for all I care. I don't like that feeling of being dragged along a very long arc with lots of filling, and very little payoff.
    Your problem is you're watching Season 1. Season 1, especially the first half, isn't very good.
    Season 2 improves a hell of a lot. The writing is much more focused and the story arcs much more interesting. In fact it's better in every single way than the first season. Season 3 maintains this high level of quality. Stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ixoy wrote: »
    Your problem is you're watching Season 1. Season 1, especially the first half, isn't very good.
    Season 2 improves a hell of a lot. The writing is much more focused and the story arcs much more interesting. In fact it's better in every single way than the first season. Season 3 maintains this high level of quality. Stick with it!

Season 4 looks like it might be even better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions....
    Both are good shows but bear in mind that both were cancelled after one season with plot arcs outstanding. Dark Skies had plans for multiple seasons.
    Farscape is also a great show. It's off the wall and far more inventive than others. Lots of humour, great characters and original.

Yeah the cancellation would put me off a bit. I believe Farscape was cancelled too, but it does look pretty good. I love the fact that they used puppets as well as CGI, and it looks whacky as Hell, hopefully in a good way (like Firefly was)
    Babylon 5 is a must. It is a proper space opera...
    Man no offence but I've watched a few episodes and have always found B5 kinda corny and naive. I've never much liked StarTrek either so I guess the space opera thing really isn't for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Your problem is you're watching Season 1. ........ Stick with it!
    I'm up to about episode 12 now and it has improved a great deal. I still don't like the doc character, though the comic relief moments are admittadly getting funnier. Overall, I'm starting to enjoy it and I can see it improving.

Tomk1 wrote: »
    'Firefly' sounds exactly what you need
    Seen it, loved it! Cheers anyway :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Sleepy wrote: »
    Space: Above & Beyond

This was class when I first watched it.........however I re-watched it about 2-3 years ago and it hadn't aged as well as I had hoped. Still have a special fondness in my heart for it though.

Shame it only got the 1st season

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭angie16ab

i think fringe is brilliant! iv watched it from the start and each season gets better with great twists! counting down the days til season 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

A bit of an old one, but give Babylon 5 a go....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gearheart wrote: »
    Have you tried SG-1?

Ahem........... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    • Original Stargate film,
    • Stargate the series (seasons 1 -10),
    • Stargate Atlantis (seasons 1 - 5),
    • Stargate Universe (seasons 1 &2),
    • Stargate; Ark of truth (film)
    • Stargate; Continuum (film)
    Enough to keep anyone going for a couple of months :D or the average person for a year.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

Personally, i recommend looking at the Sarah Connor Chronicles (Terminator). Also, Smallville is good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Lost was ok till the last couple of seasons and I'd watch it if j hadn't
    I loved farscape and if you liked firefly then I think you'll like it

Sg1 is great and gets better and better till the end where funnily the cast of farscape start being added because the writers thought so much of them

although it was cancelled after 4 of the planned 5 seasons the Henson group finished it out with a four hour special

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Isard

What about Babylon 5? Kinda classic))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never liked B5. Didn't cut it for me in any format.

Smallville was good. Some episodes were like watching paint dry, but overall enjoyable.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Stargate all series and movies. :D Try them. This is still my favorite one.

Babylon 5 . I watched it long time ago. But it was really good.

Fringe - this is my new favorite. Very easy to watch. Very relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Man, Fringe it my favourite TV show on being broadcast at the moment, but they way your watching it is really hard work, you will turn yourself off it. Fringe really got good when the got rid of the X-Files format, and started off the most awsome long running arc in recent science fiction. Watch the episodes below then kick into season 3. Season 4 just started on sky.

http://io9.com/5652372/want-to-get-into-fringe-these-are-the-episodes-you-need-to-watch

What about the BSG spinoffs? Are they worth a look?

I highly recommend Caprica, I dont know if people here will dissagree with me or not, but I thought it was a brilliant tv show. Its bizzare, I did not think I was going to like it, a science fictions show, that runs like a ganster soap opera, set on 12 planets before BSG? It had fail wrote all over it.

It was excellent, great acting, a great story, excellent production value, brilliant world building (this really draws you in). And the final episode, it was soo worth watching the whole series, a perfect wrapping up of all the plots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Buck Rodgers, pity the BBC stopped showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Buck Rodgers, pity the BBC stopped showing it.

"bidi-bidi-bidi"
    I liked Col Deering's lycra outfits :D

"bidi-bidi-bidi"
    I liked Col Deering's lycra outfits :D

:D And the zip that seemed to creep lower and lower as episodes went on.

15354.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rory_K

Supernatural - its savage.
    On its 8th season too so thats all you need for the foreseeable furture.

Honorable mentions - Dollhouse, Lost, Walking Dead, Stargrate SG-1, Battlestar Galactia, Firefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned.
    How about Planetes? It's hard SF anime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Have to give Red Dwarf an honourable mention, although it's more a comedy.

I'd give another +1 to Babylon 5 and Stargate. Babylon 5 is unequivocally the best sci-fi series ever made(imo).

• Advertisement

Is Lexx anygood?

Advertisement