Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please recommend me a brilliant Sci-Fi TV show?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm proud of myself for sticking with Fringe for so long. But I can't go on. I've even tried watching some of the new ones. It just doesn't do it for me.

Have also recently tried and been disappointed by Terra Nova, and Twin Peaks.
    Actually, Terra Nova more than disappointed me. It made me want to drown things.

Might have a look at The Prisoner or Farscape because they just look really out there.

Caprica is top of my list for now though.... About to watch episode 1...

...EDIT... Yeah, Caprica is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Is Lexx anygood?

I've a friend who loved Lexx. I didn't get into it. It felt a little more like Farscape if you've seen that. It definitely gets points for originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Finished Caprica. Really enjoyed it.

Watched episode 1 of Farscape tonight. "Muppets In Space" is how I've read people describe it. I think that's giving it too much credit.

It's absolute nonsense.
    The acting is utterly dismal, especially that warrior twat.
    The dialogue is lame.
    The music sounds like my 4 year old neice hitting all the keys on some crappy Casio keyboard.
    There are too many gags and none of them are funny.
    The sets are appauling.
    The editing is confusing.

Time to move on..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Haven gets good.

Dont trust the first few episodes, but it picks up well.

Its a Stephen King effort I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

condra wrote: »
    Watched episode 1 of Farscape tonight. "Muppets In Space" is how I've read people describe it. I think that's giving it too much credit.
    Time to move on..

Give Farscape a few episodes. It takes a little while to work into the right groove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Have you tried Warehouse 13 or Sanctuary?

Warehouse 13 is good sci-fi twist on the police/ FBI procedural with interesting season long story arcs and interesting characters.

Sanctuary stars Amanda Tapping from Stargate as Dr Helen Magnus who runs a Sanctaury for Abnormals (Monsters to you or me). It has some really good episodes and the CGI sets look really good. The sci-fi bit is bits of Time travel, steam punky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

The ones i loved/am loving...

All the stargate,natch
    Town called Eureka
    Haven
    Supernatural
    Once upon a time (this only started in the last few weeks)
    Dr who
    Torchwood,especially the specials but you kinda have to watch the series first to get the dynamics
    Being Human
    Misfits
    No ordinary family was great til the cancelled it,same for V and Reaper :mad:
    Terranova is taking a while to get into but worth it i think
    The walking dead
    Game of thrones meant to be excellent but still haven't watched it :o
    Warehouse 13
    Haven't watched Grimm yet but it's reviews aren't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Oh yes, another recommendation for Being Human. So marvelously odd
    http://youtu.be/1pUnL5Sd458

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Being Human (the BBC version, not the US remake)

Teminator:Sarah Connor Chronicles, although ended a bit abruptly

Only got around to watching Firefly, loved it.

Working my way through Babylon 5 at the moment, about halfway through season 2. While it has some cheesy space opera stuff at times, there's a lot of good stuff in it. There's a couple of plots, one in particular in the first season, that went where I wouldn't have expected. And there's an overall coherence to the main arc which helps.

Started watching Supernatural after a few recommendations at work. Hated it. Ground my way through the first two seasons, only because I was short of stuff to watch. Season 1 is just a poor man's X-Files. But it does improve after that, worth sticking with.

Dollhouse - no one else I know watched it. I really liked it, if it had less Eliza Dushku and focused more on the other characters it might have lasted longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Yep i did watch dollhouse,not all of it though,one of the last ones i remember was when she was being hunted through the woods? Agree it was focused too much on the one character,it got quite boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 fjk49er

Man, Fringe it my favourite TV show on being broadcast at the moment, but they way your watching it is really hard work, you will turn yourself off it. Fringe really got good when the got rid of the X-Files format, and started off the most awsome long running arc in recent science fiction. Watch the episodes below then kick into season 3. Season 4 just started on sky.

http://io9.com/5652372/want-to-get-into-fringe-these-are-the-episodes-you-need-to-watch

I like Fringe too, I have to say. Apparently, it has recently been commissioned for a fifth and final season. It struggles with ratings in the US, I think largely due to the fact that so many people are recording shows to watch them later, and was saved in part by a twitter campaign to keep it going. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fringe-renewed-fifth-season-317063

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Is Lexx anygood?
    It certainly wouldn't suit everybody, but I bought the entire series (the only one I think I bothered to do so). Some of it looks a bit cheap, but at least they never compromised on the originality of the storylines just to fit a budget. I prefer good SF ideas implemented badly than the reverse myself any day.
    Anybody seen the 2 series of Starhunter? Also low budget, but was alright.

Hatgirl wrote: »
    Most of my favourites have already been mentioned.
    How about Planetes? It's hard SF anime.
    If we're getting into anime we could be here for a while... Cowboy Bebop is probably top of the list (perhaps not mine, but by consensus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

fjk49er wrote: »
    largely due to the fact that so many people are recording shows to watch them later

Hardly surprising though is it? They started doing that with a load of series. Trickling out three or four episodes before christmas and then picking them up again in March, by which time you have lost all the momentum. Its bad enough ending a run at the start of Summer and having to wait until the autumn, but starting and stopping all through the seaon is tedious and annoying.

Announcer:"To see the next part, join us next week two weeks next month - ah jaysus, when is this show on again? Join us in a few weeks. Keep an eye on the TV guide."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Lost Girl is really Fantasy, but it's preety good. It's a canadian TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I'm going to throw you a curved ball with my suggestion.

Try this.

http://www.pioneerone.tv/

KenSwee wrote: »
    I'm going to throw you a curved ball with my suggestion.

Try this.

http://www.pioneerone.tv/
    I would in no way describe that show as brilliant. It's OK for what it is, a no-budget earth bound CGI free SF show, but there's basically nothing to it and even then it manages to plod.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I[/URL] would in no way describe that show as brilliant. It's OK for what it is, a no-budget earth bound CGI free SF show, but there's basically nothing to it and even then it manages to plod.

I agree, I did enjoy the idea. I was verrryy slow but I think it showed potential that sci fi can be less sfx and more story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Definitely have to add my voice to Babylon 5 - yeah you're right it is kind of naive in places, and the dialogue and most of the acting are fairly bad not to mention the special effects.

But it is still possibly the best Sci Fi ever made. Some of the plot arcs are fantastic, and the characters are absolutely brilliant, especially Londo and G'Kar. But *especially* Londo.

Although Series 5 of it is a little bit... unnecessary and has the risk of leaving a bad taste in your mouth... (Yes I know they have an excuse but it still has to be said)

Definitely have to add my voice to Babylon 5 - yeah you're right it is kind of naive in places, and the dialogue and most of the acting are fairly bad not to mention the special effects.

Wow, thats a glowing recommendation you give it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

syklops wrote: »
    Wow, thats a glowing recommendation you give it there.

I was hoping people would read to the second line!

condra wrote: »
    Finished Caprica. Really enjoyed it.

God I would love if they made Muppets in Space into an actual TV series.

It would knock the socks off many of things of late.

Not really a sci fi show, but the first few episodes of Awake are interesting. Not sure if it's going anywhere - it got canned after season 1, but I've been told it's self contained. Although I do have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to come to any kind of resolution.

MOH wrote: »
    Not really a sci fi show, but the first few episodes of Awake are interesting. Not sure if it's going anywhere - it got canned after season 1, but I've been told it's self contained. Although I do have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to come to any kind of resolution.

How can a show be "self contained" and then not come to resolution? I'm not getting at you, but there has been a spate of these in recent times. Sci fi shows just ending, being replaced with repeats.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

How can a show be "self contained" and then not come to resolution? I'm not getting at you, but there has been a spate of these in recent times. Sci fi shows just ending, being replaced with repeats.

Re-read the post by MOH. They didn't say it was 'self-contained'. They have been told that it is, however after watching the first few episodes they are unsure of this claim.

Well, yeah, obviously it either is self contained or it's not. I've been told it doesn't matter that it's been canned, that it works as is, but I'm less than halfway through it, and I'm beginning to suspect that this may be inaccurate - there's only been one indication of a possible overall explanation for the whole thing, and that was three episodes ago. Then again, I've seen shows before that were in doubt about renewal and came up with an ending that would work, but left them room to expand if they got a second.

Then again, Lost was "self contained", but after seven seasons of that I nearly wish it had been canned after one :(

MOH wrote: »
    Well, yeah, obviously it either is self contained or it's not. I've been told it doesn't matter that it's been canned, that it works as is, but I'm less than halfway through it, and I'm beginning to suspect that this may be inaccurate - there's only been one indication of a possible overall explanation for the whole thing, and that was three episodes ago. Then again, I've seen shows before that were in doubt about renewal and came up with an ending that would work, but left them room to expand if they got a second.

Then again, Lost was "self contained", but after seven seasons of that I nearly wish it had been canned after one :(

I've been watching lost recently, and honestly, if at the end of Season 3, the plane had landed in LA, with Jack waking up, wiping his eyes, glancing around the plane seeing the other losties and then saying to himself, "Wow, that was one weird dream". It could have been self contained. Instead we got 3 more seasons of questions, followed by the most retarded explanation ever.

Who is your source that Awake is self contained?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

God I would love if they made Muppets in Space into an actual TV series.

It would knock the socks off many of things of late.
    Don't you mean Pigs in spaaace !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is Lexx anygood?
    Oh dear

it had it's moment

but it got really weird and childish

bit like when Battlestar Galactica the original series landed in California 'cept they landed in Newfoundland

For retro there are things like Blakes 7

Futurama

Andromeda
    Seaquest DSV

with aliens
    Space 1999 (series one - though some people like series two ) and UFO
    earth final conflict

if you liked red dwarf then hyperdrive

sapphire and steel was sorta like old series Dr Who

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Threshold was really good, only lasted a season (2005 i think). V the original series is the best

Advertisement