Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

synthetic or semi-synthetic oil

• 31-08-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

its a 04 Polo 1.2

Was in tesco and had to buy oil , as the engine light came on .

One was 5w-30 and the other was 10w-40

which is suitable for car above or does it matter ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Just got my car serviced last week and was talking to the mechanic, he told me he has 4 different types of oil depending on the car. Check the manual for what oil should be used.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

As JOSman has said , check the manual for the correct oil for your engine. It is unwise to rely on the oil warning light to alert you to a low oil level and you really should check the level regularly by using the dipstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Delancey wrote: »
    As JOSman has said , check the manual for the correct oil for your engine. It is unwise to rely on the oil warning light to alert you to a low oil level and you really should check the level regularly by using the dipstick.

It's not an oil level warning light, it's an Oil Pressure warning light! Once that comes on, the damage has been done already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It's not an oil level warning light, it's an Oil Pressure warning light! Once that comes on, the damage has been done already

Never knew that ! Cheers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

what damage has been done ? ----only drove a 100 yards with the light on .

• Advertisement

what damage has been done ? ----only drove a 100 yards with the light on .

No oil means the moving parts in your engine aren't getting lubricated, which leads to metal moving against metal at a very high speed causing highly increased wear and tear. You can literally melt the parts inside because it gets so hot without lube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

its a 04 Polo 1.2

Was in tesco and had to buy oil , as the engine light came on .

One was 5w-30 and the other was 10w-40

which is suitable for car above or does it matter ?

If the engine light came on it's unlikely to be an oil problem. The oil light is another story.

Go to www.castrol.co.uk and it will tell you the spec and amount your car takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Depends....

You turn on a high miler and it might take a good bit longer for the pressure to build up, but by no means does it mean its broke

BX 19 wrote: »
    Depends....

You turn on a high miler and it might take a good bit longer for the pressure to build up, but by no means does it mean its broke

5 seconds of no lubrication can do a hell of a lot of damage...and if Gary ITR comes on and see's this he'll attest to it

Whenever I start my car I let it heat up for 10 minutes, then I build up the oil pressure, then finally move off. I've only ever seen the oil pressure warning light once, and that was because I took a left turn a bit too quick, so all of my oil went to the gearbox side and wasn't getting pumped...but that was only a split second it was on for. I'll be investing in a baffled sump soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I think this is a case of any oil type would be better than the amount thats in your sump at the min..

• Advertisement

This is the light that came on :

images.jpg

Is it oil level light or oil pressure light ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

...and if Gary ITR comes on and see's this he'll attest to it

Gary ITR FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

images.jpg

On most VAGS, that light in yellow is a low oil warning light. Red is the low pressure warning which can also be caused by very low oil level or an oil control system failure.

OP, your engine is extremely prone to chain tensioner failure and this will only be made more likely by not checking your oil level regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Needed to top up exact car with same light on. castrol web site suggests 5/30 edge full synthetic for this engine. Took almost 1 lt oil to reach max level on dipstick. last service was 3000 mile ago, excessive oil loss like this should be diagnosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

5 seconds of no lubrication can do a hell of a lot of damage...and if Gary ITR comes on and see's this he'll attest to it

I've only ever seen the oil pressure warning light once, and that was because I took a left turn a bit too quick, so all of my oil went to the gearbox side and wasn't getting pumped

I had an old Alfa boxer once that used to let you know it needed oil by knocking a bit in the bottom end as you exited a bend under throttle :D Great system and in fairness it never went bang. I used to lob in a litre and drive on.

That said (and back on topic) I wouldnt advise this method OP and you should always check the dipstick for a correct oil level reading atleast once a week IMO so as to avoid such a scenario happening again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Actually, that reminds me, better check my oil! Haven't in about a month.

images.jpg

This light came on again today -- 2 days after putting a litre of oil in the car .

So its not oil problem .. The car has plenty oil .

Anyway , put in another litre and the light goes out again . - Will let you know what mechanic says tomorrrow .

Could it be a faulty sensor causing this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Was there oil on the dipstick? If there's oil up to the max line on the dipstick I wouldn't worry too much about it. Be very careful not to overfill with oil. Too much oil can cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suprab1

We had a good few VAG & Fords in earlyer in the year for this problem. Some had just kept toping up & blew their engines. Always check the dipstick before filling as it seems to be getting very frequent that these oil pressure sensors are failing/faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As has been said above. Have you been checking the level properly with the dipstick or just putting oil in because the light came on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I don't get why modern engines use so much oil.

I had a 200K mile '90's car that never needed a top up.

I replaced it with a modern version that came with a litre bottle in the boot, and used it between services (cost a bloody fortune too...)

One step forward...:cool:

This light came on again today -- 2 days after putting a litre of oil in the car .

Anyway , put in another litre and the light goes out again . - Will let you know what mechanic says tomorrrow .

Went mechanic today and he says that there is plenty oil in the engine .

He said that it is a faulty light -

It must ahve been a faulty light .............did'nt need to do anything or pay a mechanic .

The light has not come on since . It was not low in oil , so it must be a faulty sensor / light .

Still driving away and the light is not coming on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Whenever I start my car I let it heat up for 10 minutes, then I build up the oil pressure, then finally move off.....

Do you usually set off 10 mins early or arrive 10mins late to everything ???? personally i think sitting in your car for 10 mins waiting for it to heat up is complete BS

Notch000 wrote: »
    Do you usually set off 10 mins early or arrive 10mins late to everything ???? personally i think sitting in your car for 10 mins waiting for it to heat up is complete BS

I usually go out, turn on my car and let it idle while I shower or eat something...maybe even go toilet if I feel like it :D

Do you have a point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I usually go out, turn on my car and let it idle while I shower or eat something...maybe even have a fap fap if I feel like it :D

Do you have a point?

FYP...:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I usually go out, turn on my car and let it idle while I shower or eat something...maybe even go toilet if I feel like it :D

Do you have a point?

10 Minutes ??? .. Jaysus thats a bit excessive :)

I just set off after 10/15 seconds and then take it easy until the engine has warmed up.

10 Minutes ??? .. Jaysus thats a bit excessive :)

I just set off after 10/15 seconds and then take it easy until the engine has warmed up.

Ah I like letting my oil warm up, then building up the oil pressure, then heating up the gearbox with 10 minutes of easy driving ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Whenever I start my car I let it heat up for 10 minutes, then I build up the oil pressure, then finally move off.

That's very bad practice. Who told you to do that, your great grandad? :p

Your engine warms up much quicker with less wear when you start your car and drive off straight away (provided you keep the revs right down until the engine has warmed up)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That's very bad practice. Who told you to do that, your great grandad? :p

Your engine warms up much quicker with less wear when you start your car and drive off straight away (provided you keep the revs right down until the engine has warmed up)

Nope, my car likes it better when I treat it well...if you owned my car you'd know :)

Different strokes for different folks eh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Same with a Saxo I had..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Ah I like letting my oil warm up, then building up the oil pressure, then heating up the gearbox with 10 minutes of easy driving ;)

Thats bad for your engine.

When the engine is at idle it takes more than twice as long to heat up compared to when you drive immediately. Most engine wear happens when your engine is outside its ideal temperature.

EDIT: too slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

That light gets reset by a switch in the bonnet latch. Even if you dont put oil in it opening and closing the bonnet will reset it for a while.

Prob faulty level sensor. (if, as you say plenty of oil in engine).

VeVeX wrote: »
    Thats bad for your engine.

When the engine is at idle it takes more than twice as long to heat up compared to when you drive immediately. Most engine wear happens when your engine is outside its ideal temperature.

What works for me might not work for others...so unless you've first hand experience with my car you need not try school me on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What works for me might not work for others...so unless you've first hand experience with my car you need not try school me on it :D

Is it this one ?

Ford_15_Model_T.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

Nope, this one

314648_10150437590392785_772332784_10684796_6716566_n.jpg

Dont ever buy a VAG daysul because you will be buying a new DPF every week..:)

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Dont ever buy a VAG daysul because you will be buying a new DPF every week..:)

Wouldn't ever touch either ;)

Wouldn't ever touch either ;)

You are worse than my old man. He calls me the bag of spanners tractor driver...:mad:. He loves Hondas too.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You are worse than my old man. He calls me the bag of spanners tractor driver...:mad:. He loves Hondas too.

I never said I was sticking to Honda for life :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Your engines oil pressure gets lower the hotter the oil gets..

bryaner wrote: »
    Your engines oil pressure gets lower the hotter the oil gets..

If it did I really doubt I'd be hitting VTEC all through the day on a trackday now, would I? ;)

If it did I really doubt I'd be hitting VTEC all through the day on a trackday now, would I? ;)

It gets lower as the oil thins basic stuff really..

It gets lower as the oil thins basic stuff really..

So, on that theory, I should use new oil everyday because my oil pressure will be too low if I drive it on a bit?

Nah, oil change every month is fine with me :D

So, on that theory, I should use new oil everyday because my oil pressure will be too low if I drive it on a bit?

Nah, oil change every month is fine with me :D

Quote me where I said it gets to low, I stated that oil pressure gets lower as the oil gets hot and thins, surely you understand this very simple process..;)

Quote me where I said it gets to low, I stated that oil pressure gets lower as the oil gets hot and thins, surely you understand this very simple process..;)

Low oil pressure = me not hitting VTEC...therefore I'd have to change my oil everyday going on your theory ;)

Low oil pressure = me not hitting VTEC...therefore I'd have to change my oil everyday going on your theory ;)

Good grief can you understand the difference in lower and low, obviously you don't build engines for your track days, maybe ask the guy that does..

Good grief can you understand the difference in lower and low, obviously you don't build engines for your track days, maybe ask the guy that does..

Why would I build engines for track days? I bring my own car on track...finish, change the oil and off I go on my daily routine again

Why would I build engines for track days? I bring my own car on track...finish, change the oil and off I go on my daily routine again

Nuff said, maybe stick a gauge on it and look at the different oil pressure hot and cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As the oil heats up it becomes thinner and the pressure gets lower. When you let it cool down again the pressure rises again. It's simple physics. There are people here telling you some simple basic information but you are too stubborn and you think your car defies physics and acts different to all other cars. Oil is oil. It acts the same in your car as it does in a teediddly. Take the advice and drop the bullshît as it only makes you look like a delusional fanboi.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement