Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

synthetic or semi-synthetic oil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Quazzie wrote: »
    As the oil heats up it becomes thinner and the pressure gets lower. When you let it cool down again the pressure rises again. It's simple physics. There are people here telling you some simple basic information but you are too stubborn and you think your car defies physics and acts different to all other cars. Oil is oil. It acts the same in your car as it does in a teediddly. Take the advice and drop the bullshît as it only makes you look like a delusional fanboi.

Where's the fanboy bullshit coming from? I'm not saying my car is great and it's better than everybody elses? People ask questions, I gave answers on how I treat my car and I get shit about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

As the oil heats up it becomes thinner and the pressure gets lower. When you let it cool down again the pressure rises again. It's simple physics. There are people here telling you some simple basic information but you are too stubborn and you think your car defies physics and acts different to all other cars. Oil is oil. It acts the same in your car as it does in a teediddly. Take the advice and drop the bullshît as it only makes you look like a delusional fanboi.

Thanks dude I was starting to question my sanity..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Where's the fanboy bullshit coming from? I'm not saying my car is great and it's better than everybody elses? People ask questions, I gave answers on how I treat my car and I get shit about it?
    You've stated that your car is different than others. It might be. But the oil is the same. You try make what others are telling you is wrong despite them being right. Warmin your car up for ten minutes is lunacy. Even high end turbo drivers don't that. V-Tech isn't in the same league as Turbo either for the record. The fanboi is because you think your civic defies the physical properties of oil and requires special attention because you hit v-tech a lot. Use the right oil, check the level frequently and that's about as much as you need to do. Leaving it running for ten minutes while you **** or shįte or whatever isn't necessary in the slightest.

Nope, this one

314648_10150437590392785_772332784_10684796_6716566_n.jpg

Ya might want to stick an oil pressure gauge in it and look at it!!

You've stated that your car is different than others. It might be. But the oil is the same. You try make what others are telling you is wrong despite them being right.
    The oil isn't the same as everyone else actually, the only other cars I know of that use the same oil I do are BMW M-Sport engines...
    Warmin your car up for ten minutes is lunacy. Even high end turbo drivers don't that. V-Tech isn't in the same league as Turbo either for the record.
    In my opinion, not yours, it's not lunacy and works for me. Why can't people accept that this works for me?
    The fanboi is because you think your civic defies the physical properties of oil and requires special attention because you hit v-tech a lot. Use the right oil, check the level frequently and that's about as much as you need to do. Leaving it running for ten minutes while you **** or shįte or whatever isn't necessary in the slightest.

Quote me where I said it defies physical properties...and I'm rarely in VTEC for the record. The oil I use has been proven to work better for me, and I know this because I've run a few different types in it over set periods of time.

Also, I check my oil every 3 days and it's perfect each time.

The oil isn't the same as everyone else actually, the only other cars I know of that use the same oil I do are BMW M-Sport engines...

In my opinion, not yours, it's not lunacy and works for me. Why can't people accept that this works for me?

Quote me where I said it defies physical properties...and I'm rarely in VTEC for the record. The oil I use has been proven to work better for me, and I know this because I've run a few different types in it over set periods of time.

I'm gona have to quote a certain somebody here.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

This thread is a lot more entertaining than the title suggests!

bryaner wrote: »
    I'm gona have to quote a certain somebody here.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Have you got experience with my car and how it's built or run?

If you do, fair enough but I highly doubt it...and if you don't, which is likely, I don't need the comments ;)

Have you got experience with my car and how it's built or run?

If you do, fair enough but I highly doubt it...and if you don't, which is likely, I don't need the comments ;)

I know nothing about your car, but I know how the oil pressure behaves in it when hot and cold, seems like you don't know a whole lot..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Urm, I don't mean to break up the handbag swinging but......
    Mech1 wrote: »
    That light gets reset by a switch in the bonnet latch. Even if you dont put oil in it opening and closing the bonnet will reset it for a while.

Prob faulty level sensor. (if, as you say plenty of oil in engine).

What?? Where did you pluck that nugget from? I hope to god the 'mech' in your user name doesn't mean mechanic!

I know nothing about your car, but I know how the oil pressure behaves in it when hot and cold, seems like you don't know a whole lot..

And there's another snide comment :rolleyes:

I don't believe you understand how your original comment came across to me...go read what's been said again please.

And to everyone else chirping in, I don't need to hear it, I already put up with enough shit from you all as it is :rolleyes:

I'll say again, what works for me I'll continue doing, you can all do your own thing if you're happy with it :)

Ah I like letting my oil warm up, then building up the oil pressure, then heating up the gearbox with 10 minutes of easy driving

That's where you stated it. You say the ten minute warm up works for you, but like my son who clutches to his blanky at night as he can't sleep without it, it's all in your head. Dont be so quick to write off others advice just because it goes against what you believe or do.

How have you tested the effectiveness of oil and then decides on the spec of oil you use?

What?? Where did you pluck that nugget from? I hope to god the 'mech' in your user name doesn't mean mechanic!

Thats a good one, must go and find my bonnet oil filling switch.

That's where you stated it. You say the ten minute warm up works for you, but like my son who clutches to his blanky at night as he can't sleep without it, it's all in your head. Dont be so quick to write off others advice just because it goes against what you believe or do.

How have you tested the effectiveness of oil and then decides on the spec of oil you use?

Where's the whole 'defies physical properties' part? I let my car warm up sufficiently, hardly defying some properties now is it?

Driving for a week on different spec oils and watching the various outputs and outcomes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Aye but that oil still obeys basic thermodynamics.

You know when you use multi grade oil? Example 5w/40

The 5 describes the viscosity at -35c and the 40 describes the grade the viscosity at 100c.

Ergo you get lower oil pressure at high engine temps no matter what fancy m sport oil you use, but EVERY engine and motor oil is designed with this tolerance in mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I don't believe you understand how your original comment came across to me...go read what's been said again please.

And to everyone else chirping in, I don't need to hear it, I already put up with enough shit from you all as it is :rolleyes:

I'll say again, what works for me I'll continue doing, you can all do your own thing if you're happy with it :)

Come on man, no need for that.

My op was worded wrong for people that don't understand the basics of an engine, my apologies..

Where's the whole 'defies physical properties' part? I let my car warm up sufficiently, hardly defying some properties now is it?
    You said you build up oils pressure as the oil heats up. That's defying the physical properties of oil.
    Driving for a week on different spec oils and watching the various outputs and outcomes
    Unless you were plugging it in contantly, and taking apart the engine to micro-measure specific individual components for wear then I can't see how you can possibly tell. Again I would suggest it is in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

How little I realised , when I started this thread .

From a non-mechanical background , I do believe it is lunacy to check oil level every 3 days and more lunacy to leave car running for 10 minutes before driving off .

I can't understand how one is to know what method works / is good for your engine /car unless you have an emergency like me .

How can it be proven which method works best , unless of course you arrange a test on each car for the duration of 250,000 odd miles .

ottostreet wrote: »
    Come on man, no need for that.
    When you have to deal with it then you comment on it, needed IMO
    You said you build up oils pressure as the oil heats up. That's defying the physical properties of oil.

Unless you were plugging it in contantly, and taking apart the engine to micro-measure specific individual components for wear then I can't see how you can possibly tell. Again I would suggest it is in your head.

I can't be arsed explaining my processes, just know that it works for me ;) I don't see why I have to explain everything I do to someone else, if it works it works, leave it at that

If you don't agree, then just ignore it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Sorry but I'm right on this, cant be bothered looking for a suitable bit of evidence atm but you can apologise after you google it.

When you have to deal with it then you comment on it, needed IMO

I can't be arsed explaining my processes, just know that it works for me ;) I don't see why I have to explain everything I do to someone else, if it works it works, leave it at that

If you don't agree, then just ignore it

You cant be arsed explaining your process because you haven't a clue why you do it nor have any backup to prove that the're of any benefit..

You cant arsed explaining your process because you haven't a clue why you do it nor have any backup to prove that their of any benefit..

Again, if you knew my car you'd know it works, so don't be posting bollox if you don't know the car alright?

Ah I like letting my oil warm up, then building up the oil pressure, then heating up the gearbox with 10 minutes of easy driving ;)

I'm a tad intrigued by this, you seem to have a three stage process. Firstly you let it idle to heat, fair enough I understand that (works for you and fair enough :) ) Lastly you are gentle for the first 10 mins of driving to enable the tranny fluid heat up or circulate or whatever it does, fair enough too.

But what exactly do you do that builds up the oil pressure after the 10 mins of idling? I'm genuinely at a loss.

Again, if you knew my car you'd know it works, so don't be posting bollox if you don't know the car alright?

Can you explain what's so different about your car compared to other?

Sorry but I'm right on this, cant be bothered looking for a suitable bit of evidence atm but you can apologise after you google it.

On all cars or just some models? Sounds like arse biscuits to me.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm a tad intrigued by this, you seem to have a three stage process. Firstly you let it idle to heat, fair enough I understand that (works for you and fair enough :) ) Lastly you are gentle for the first 10 mins of driving to enable the tranny fluid heat up or circulate or whatever it does, fair enough too.

But what exactly do you do that builds up the oil pressure after the 10 mins of idling? I'm genuinely at a loss.
    I slowly build up revs before I set off, to about 4k revs then let off slowly
    Can you explain what's so different about your car compared to other?

The oil it uses and how my engine responds to it, it works better on the particular oil I use. It's also been proven in a track car of my mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Modern VAGs as per the OP's car use an oil level sensor in the sump to which switches on the yellow oil light if the level is low and an oil pressure switch which will illuminate the red oil light if its reads low oil pressure.

I wont have any benefit for any car,you seem to have your bollox box full atm, my advice empty it seems like you've plenty more to come.

I slowly build up revs before I set off, to about 4k revs then let off slowly..........

Not wanting to get involved in the side show, but do you reckon this is advantageous over just taking off and keeping the revs below 3000 ish but having the engine under load, rather than having it at 4000rpm albeit gently building to it at standstill? Back in my younger days lads in the trade often advised me that building revs when the car is not under load is not good practice.

• Advertisement

RoverJames, its on most of the VW's.
    By the way you didnt think it was "arsebiscuits" when you thanked me in a previous post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67734171
    for stating the same info.

I wont have any benefit for any car,you seem to have your bollox box full atm, my advice empty it seems like you've plenty more to come.
    Do you not listen? If you knew my damn car you'd understand! Get that into your head please!
    Not wanting to get involved in the side show, but do you reckon this is advantageous over just taking off and keeping the revs below 3000 ish but having the engine under load, rather than having it at 4000rpm albeit gently building to it at standstill? Back in my younger days lads in the trade often advised me that building revs when the car is not under load is not good practice.

I've noticed that if I move straight off it feels a bit sluggish to go, but if I do the aforementioned then she's smooth and happy

Correct James as the bore's will get glazed..

RoverJames, its on most of the VW's.
    By the way you didnt think it was "arsebiscuits" when you thanked me in a previous post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67734171
    for stating the same info.
    The VW has 2 lights yellow for level low, red for low pressure.
    The bonnet catch has a microswitch built into it that resets the yellow light when you open and close the bonnet. It assumes that you topped up the oil.
    My guess is that the level is just low enough to trigger the sensor / yellow light when cornering or possibly at higher revs where the oil is pulled away from the sensor. Top it up asap.

I was thanking the bolded bit ;)

That bit is correct nissandoctor, but if the microswitch in the latch is faulty the light wont reset after putting in oil.

The reasoning is, when cornering with low oil level you set the yellow light it stays on until reset by the bonnet microswitch. This means yellow light just dosent flash occasionally.

I do reckon the micro switch thing is arse biscuits as a lady at work has a 1.8T A4, about two months ago she came into work saying the oil light was on. 'twas yellow not red, it was still yellow after opening and closing the bonnet too. Unless the microswitch was faulty on her particular one.

I don't know, still sounds like arse biscuits though, why would they design that into a car, if the car is smart enough to realise the oil level is low surely the switch can reset itself once the level is topped up?

Do you not listen? If you knew my damn car you'd understand! Get that into your head please!

I've noticed that if I move straight off it feels a bit sluggish to go, but if I do the aforementioned then she's smooth and happy

Yes your car is a civic with a vtec engine same basically as the rest, and guess what the oil pressure gets lower in them too when the oil gets hot, imagine that..:rolleyes:

Now schu until you can get your head around it..

Yes your car is a civic with a vtec engine same basically as the rest, and guess what the oil pressure gets lower in them too when the oil gets hot, imagine that..:rolleyes:

Do you know my car personally, last time I'll ask it?

I do reckon the micro switch thing is arse biscuits as a lady at work has a 1.8T A4, about two months ago she came into work saying the oil light was on. 'twas yellow not red, it was still yellow after opening and closing the bonnet too. Unless the microswitch was faulty on her particular one.

I don't know, still sounds like arse biscuits though, why would they design that into a car, if the car is smart enough to realise the oil level is low surely the switch can reset itself once the level is topped up?

Have you seen a vw level sensor? It's not exactly a "smart" piece of kit.

• Advertisement

On old VAG tdis the heater plugs were activated when opening the door. This was to prevent the need to wait when the keys were turned on. When the door pin switch defected it showed up as the heater plugs needing replacing. VAG have a history of doing funny things so the switch described above doesn't surprise me.

Have you seen a vw level sensor? It's not exactly a "smart" piece of kit.

Nope :)
    I would have though 'twas a pressure sensor tbh though :pac:
    VWs are not my thing, never owned one, rarely touched one.
    Apologies about the arse biscuits comment, I am struggling to get my head around such daft engineering though to be honest :)

Do you know my car personally, last time I'll ask it?

Yea its a vtec civic that uses engine oil that gets thin as the oil heats up and your oil pressure gets lower.

Yea its a vtec civic that uses engine oil that gets thin as the oil heats up and your oil pressure gets lower.

I said personally ;)

Apology accepted James.

Nissandoctor?

I said personally ;)

Same as the rest of em, so yea

• Advertisement

Same as the rest of em, so yea

Have you ever worked on, or even seen my car in person? Have you personal experience with my particular engine?

Nope, so save the bollox

I said personally ;)

Why is your civic so different than everyone else's?

Why is your civic so different than everyone else's?

I never said it was different. I asked had he personal experience with my car.

And before you go implying that I'm being a fanboy and my car is different and better and all this bollox, just stop. Because I have different methods of running my car that works as opposed to other peoples methods.

Again, different strokes for different folks, why can't people accept that?

Have you ever worked on, or even seen my car in person? Have you personal experience with my particular engine?

Nope, so save the bollox

Its the same for oil in all engines, try and cram that into your small skull..

Its the same for oil in all engines, try and cram that into your small skull..

Yet another snide comment :rolleyes:

Do you berate others to try make yourself feel good?

You still haven't answered my question by the way

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement