Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher or Ordinary Maths?

• 31-08-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Gone into 5th year this week. I want to study computer science in college but for the points it would help to do honours maths for the 70 points if I just pass it. I'm fairly decent but maths is my downfall. Got a D in HL maths in the JC and I'm already unsure if I should do HL Maths for the LC. Anyone done the leaving this year that could help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mags1962 wrote: »
    Anyone done the leaving this year that could help?
    Even if they have, most of them will have been doing a different course.

Why not start with Higher, you can always drop down if it gets too much for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

like randy says, give it ago then you can drop if its too much, theres no harm in trying though!

Loads dropped down to ol in sixth year and still done very well even though they missed lots of the ol course, give it ago until then at least, good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I did HL Maths this year. I wasn't too good at it throughout the year and in my Pre's I got a D2. However in the LC I got a C1 which I was delighted with! :D

For my JC I did HL Maths also, I got an A. In my experience I would expect people who stuggled at JC not to be able to cope with the LC Maths course.

However I did the old course and I have no experience with Project Maths and how difficult it is. Your best bet is to give it a go and drop if its too hard like has already been said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

The only Computer Science course that I know of that requires HL maths is Trinity, so unless you're dead-set on there you don't need to worry too much. I would advise you to stick with the Honours as best you can regardless if you need it or not- there were plenty of people in my class who weren't great at Maths. Plus you'll get extra points for doing it!
    And don't make a bigger deal of it than it is - a lot of people get overwhelmed when they can't get something right and because there's so much stigma around Honours Maths many people feel they're not able for it when they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Im gone into 5th Year aswell, Maths is also my weak point and I'm currently doing Honours, Got a C in the JC.. Im gonna try scrape through with some grinds and hopefully get a C1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Hello mags,

I'm in 6th year at the moment doing HL Maths.. i got a D in JC HL maths and in the summer tests last year i got a D1. Just keep doing honours maths until christmas at least. Just remember a D3 in HL maths is technically 70 points, so get grinds if you have to in 6th year thats probably what i'll end up doing!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

100% honest, D in JC isn't enough. I got As at JC and I still find it hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Honours maths is very hard and very time consuming. I'm dropping to pass tomorrow having done honours in the Junior cert and getting a C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Scraped a C in the Junior cert with grinds, scraped a D3 in the LC with grinds. Going on to do engineering now :D:D:D

I was always good at Integration, Differentiation (not the applied question, I could never figure out why people didn't just use the "UVAST" equations. Actually, I passed the NUIG maths exam because I did that :)), Probability, Vectors (EASIEST QUESTION ON THE LC HL PAPER BY MILES!!!!!) and Q5 paper one (whatever that included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 i90yb8jtdchuwe

IMHO, it depends on if you have any goal-related orientations toward maths; some people like to prove to themselves they can do a subject because of the rewarding results. However, if you are not in this category, I would consider the pass option merely because of all the time you will spare yourself which can be used for other subjects and thus increasing your marks in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I got 45% in my 5th summer exams and managed to get a B1 in the LC, that was purely down to putting in a lot of extra effort into the subject though. If you are willing to work at it you will notice yourself improve but it does take a lot of effort. I'd say do HL up to the mocks and see how you do

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

I failed my mocks in honours maths. And got 90% in the leaving cert.

TBH, a software developer who is not good at maths is kind of worrying.

You sure, you picked the right career path?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Yeah.. I didnt do so well in the JC in Maths cos i didnt put in the effort that i should of. But im hoping this year with more effort and grinds i can get a D at least, id love those extra points aswell. I'd hate to go down 2 pass and fail that:( , I'll see how i get on in the pres in february i reckon:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

php-fox wrote: »
    I failed my mocks in honours maths. And got 90% in the leaving cert.

TBH, a software developer who is not good at maths is kind of worrying.

You sure, you picked the right career path?

I don't want to do software development, the whole point of doing computer science is that I have the opportunity to do different stuff in IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

mags1962 wrote: »
    Gone into 5th year this week. I want to study computer science in college but for the points it would help to do honours maths for the 70 points if I just pass it. I'm fairly decent but maths is my downfall. Got a D in HL maths in the JC and I'm already unsure if I should do HL Maths for the LC. Anyone done the leaving this year that could help?

Do the honours. Put some time into it and you'll be fine. It'll be worth it in the long run. I guarantee you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

Unless you work phenomenally hard you haven't much chance of doing HL. I tried HL Maths for the leaving after getting a C in HL in the JC and was completely out of my depth

Advertisement