Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement pvc Door Handle

• 31-08-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Inside back door lever handle is very loose suddently and it seems new handle is only option.. My handle has 3 screw fixing but most of the handles I look at on line seem to be only two screw fixing.

Would a two screw plate work instead at all at all :D

this is the sizes for my door. http://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/html/hoppe_asgard_upvc_door_handles.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Take off your existing handle and measure distance (centre to centre) between the top and bottom screws.
    If this measurement is the same as the new (2 screw) handle, it will go on no problem - i've done this at a previous house I was in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

alproctor wrote: »
    Take off your existing handle and measure distance (centre to centre) between the top and bottom screws.
    If this measurement is the same as the new (2 screw) handle, it will go on no problem - i've done this at a previous house I was in!

thanks alproctor,

just wondering if not having the 3rd screw does this shorten the life of the handle (less able to stand up to the usual wear n tear)

You'll also need to check the other measurements (screw to lock, screw to cylinder) - didn't make that clear earlier, sorry.

As for shortening the life of the handle, i suppose it possible, but none of them are designed for people to be swinging out of them! :D

Where did you get the door originally? Was it in place when you moved in? Reason I ask is if you can find the manufacturer, they'll be able to get you an exact handle.

Or if you can find out who made the window you should be able to get a handle from Mila if you give them the name of the manufacturer!

You'll also need to check the other measurements (screw to lock, screw to cylinder) - didn't make that clear earlier, sorry.

no worries Mr google made me well aware of that:D
    Where did you get the door originally? Was it in place when you moved in? Reason I ask is if you can find the manufacturer, they'll be able to get you an exact handle.

Got it from Cresthaven in Waterford.

Thing is I hate having to buy a pair when I only need one but I guess the other will do as a spare if opposite side goes. :(

When you say a pair, i presume you mean an internal and external part?
    The manufacturers would receive these packed together along with springs, spindle, screws.....

You'd be as well replace the entire unit!

• Advertisement

When you say a pair, i presume you mean an internal and external part?
    The manufacturers would receive these packed together along with springs, spindle, screws.....

You'd be as well replace the entire unit!

yup internal & external. Would you really recommend replacing both as I imagine the handle that is used to pull the door closed would get more stress than the other one.

Something to remember - The screws must be on the inside handle.

And there is no point in just replacing one, because if you think about it both handles get both pushed and pulled (opening and closing from both sides)....

Something to remember - The screws must be on the inside handle.

And there is no point in just replacing one, because if you think about it both handles get both pushed and pulled (opening and closing from both sides)....

lovely jubbley thanks alproctor

Advertisement