Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with tyre size

Options
  • 31-08-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I need to replace my front tyre (two punctures last Sunday, and what appears to be an interesting little bulge in the tyre). Having checked the tyre size last night for the third time, I went and bought the GatorSkin I was told I really needed this evening on the way home from work - a 700x23C. Now that I have my wheel in the full light of the kitchen I see that it's a 700x25C. Clearly advancing years, infirmity, failing eyesight etc is taking it's toll.:rolleyes:

Anyway, can I replace the 25C with a 23C, and would I want to? Or should I go back to the shop and get a 25C? Which is "better", and can my rims take the narrower tyre? I'm cycling a Giant Defy 3 (2010 model) the spec says I've got "Giant Sport Road CR, Double Wall", no mention of size.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

The 23 will fit no bother, just you might need to change your boards username to notquiteasslowacyclistasiwasbeforeiboughtthewrongtyre

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Thanks for that rp. Suppose I could consider changing the other tyre to a 23c also. Do I have less grip? Is it material, particularly in wet conditions? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I couldn't comment on the different grip between 23mm and 25mm tires, though I use Conti GP 24mm, but I would say that I find gatorskins a bit slippery in cold and wettish conditions so take care. They are good for no punctures though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You have less grip with 23 and they are less comfortable. They are very slightly faster mainly for aerodynamic reasons.

Advertisement