Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science-Picking modules

Options
  • 31-08-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm going into Science BBB and I've read into the module selection process but I'm still unsure of how it actually works :S.

I'm aware I will have core modules that I am pre-registered for. I will also have to take introductory maths and chemistry.

The module registration page seems to have an error on it so I'm not sure if I'm seeing all my info on it correctly.

Can anyone give me an idea of how this process should work? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

It's not as bad as it seems.

You don't need to panic about it. As you've said all your core modules are already chosen so you're most the way there. If memory serves Intro to chem and maths will appear in your option list. You just need to register for them. You just need to pick enough options to get you to fifty credits. You should be almost there if not there completely with the two intros... Try and get them as even as possible. It helps to have six modules first semester six second (five each semester, before electives) After that you'll go onto a totally new screen for elective selection. All you have to do is press the continue button so no worries ;)

If you get stuck annoy the student desk or programme office, that's what they're there for and if you really can't get it done you can do it during orientation week. One of us lovely guides will help you out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I got an A2 in pass maths and I want to take intro to maths, because I'm really not that great/confident at it. That should be ok with them, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

._. wrote: »
    I got an A2 in pass maths and I want to take intro to maths, because I'm really not that great/confident at it. That should be ok with them, right?

Hmmm... double check that with the programme office I think. You may not be eligible to take it because it's an intro module. (purely because some people may take it for the easy way out) Better to be safe than sorry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Also remember this is the first year of DN200 replacing DN008, so old information from past (or current) students might not be very worthwhile. So get actual advice from somebody who knows what they are talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

._. wrote: »

Prior Learning
    Requirements:
    1. The student should have acheived no better than B in ordinary level leaving certificate mathematics or no better than D in higher level leaving certificate mathematics.

So you wouldn't be eligible.

• Advertisement

:<

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Here does anyone know that if I want to finish up with a degree in neuroscience, would it be better for me to take computer programming (I and II) or statistics for the optional modules...?

Thanks!

Also, would taking 2 psychology modules for electives be benficial for you know, brain stuff? :L

Any advice is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Here does anyone know that if I want to finish up with a degree in neuroscience, would it be better for me to take computer programming (I and II) or statistics for the optional modules...?

Thanks!

Also, would taking 2 psychology modules for electives be benficial for you know, brain stuff? :L

Any advice is appreciated.

I don't think that selecting any particular modules as electives for first year will determine whether or not you get into a particular route next year. Once you have the cores and options to satisfy the requirements that's it.

You get into the different subject areas based on your GPA (how well you do overall) and supply and demand. They don't look at individual people and say well they got an A in organic chem so they should definitely get into Medicinal Chemistry or whatever, well that's what I understood about the process anyway when I was choosing subject areas for this year. I could be wrong though but most people seemed to get their choice.

I chose geology for both of my electives and I'm doing biology/chem based subjects this year so I doubt it had any influence.

I did go to a lecture as part of the Brain and Behaviour module which is done by the school of psychology with a psychology person and it was really interesting. PSY10060 - Brain and Behaviour. I was going to do it this year as an elective but couldn't due to a timetable clash. That one might be good for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Victoria. wrote: »
    I don't think that selecting any particular modules as electives for first year will determine whether or not you get into a particular route next year. Once you have the cores and options to satisfy the requirements that's it.

You get into the different subject areas based on your GPA (how well you do overall) and supply and demand. They don't look at individual people and say well they got an A in organic chem so they should definitely get into Medicinal Chemistry or whatever, well that's what I understood about the process anyway when I was choosing subject areas for this year. I could be wrong though but most people seemed to get their choice.

I chose geology for both of my electives and I'm doing biology/chem based subjects this year so I doubt it had any influence.

I did go to a lecture as part of the Brain and Behaviour module which is done by the school of psychology with a psychology person and it was really interesting. PSY10060 - Brain and Behaviour. I was going to do it this year as an elective but couldn't due to a timetable clash. That one might be good for you :)

That's brilliant, thanks very much! Yeah I was looking at the Brain and Behaviour module, looked really interesting but I have a timetable clash aswell, with a compulsary module.. :/ I've a statistics module and a psychology module picked for electives anyway. :)

That's brilliant, thanks very much! Yeah I was looking at the Brain and Behaviour module, looked really interesting but I have a timetable clash aswell, with a compulsary module.. :/ I've a statistics module and a psychology module picked for electives anyway. :)

No problem!

Shame about Brain and Behaviour. You could always do it next year anyway if you want :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

Victoria. wrote: »
    I don't think that selecting any particular modules as electives for first year will determine whether or not you get into a particular route next year.

If you plan on doing physiology or neuroscience in 2nd year, you have to either have done physics for your L.C. or do an "Introduction to Physics" module. What a pain!

Emzer92 wrote: »
    If you plan on doing physiology or neuroscience in 2nd year, you have to either have done physics for your L.C. or do an "Introduction to Physics" module. What a pain!

Yeah, it's really annoying. I want to do pharmacology but I have the other two for backups, so I had to take it...
    And some physics knowledge is needed for the GAMSAT, so that's even more reason I have to do it.
    I'm going to hate it though, Physics is boring as hell to me.

Do you have to use up your elective slots to take the physics module? That sucks.

I did Physics of the Cell for Life Sciences last year and it was such a mess. There was such a mix of people doing it. People who had aced physics for the leaving, people in the middle who knew the gist and then who knew nothing. It was way too hard to cater for all of those different people so loads were bored and others way out of their depth. My lab demonstrator was a complete clown too though so that didn't really make me love the module.

The guy who did it was great though most days he brought demonstrations along. Liquid nitrogen, throwing stuff to illustrate points, optical illusions. That was cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

^^ Cool!!

I think the concept of having a beginner's crash course in physics is good though. I stayed away from physics in secondary school because the teacher was one of THE MOST powerfully boring men in the world!!

Advertisement