Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to college as a graduate

Options
  • 31-08-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭

The company I worked for went into liquidation a few months ago, so I have been scratching about trying to get a job. The thought had occurred to me once or twice that things would be a lot easier if I had done Engineering instead of Business studies at university, and wouldn't it be nice if I could go and get an engineering degree. The problem is of course, I havent two beans to rub together. (I cant even get the dole yet, don't ask)

So the question is, as a mature student who already has gotten a degree through the system, (i.e. had a student loan and bursary etc when I was 19), is there any financial aid available to me, or have I had my one shot?

I got my degree in NI, Jordanstown to be precise, so the question applies to the UK or to Ireland, whichever suits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

As far as I know, once you've done a level 8 degree (regardless of what country it was in), you won't get a grant to do another one in Ireland, and definitely won't get free fees. Might be worth looking into scholarships specific to your area and/or university that you want to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gunterwest

If you have done a level 7, you can now do a level 8 and get the grant. It can be in a totally different field as long as it is progressive, so if you've done a level 7, now you can apply for a level 8 but it must be ab initio to qualify for grant.

Otherwise BTEA only.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

If you graduated more than 5 years ago then you will qualify for free fees.

The grant won't be available if its a level 8 degree.

Have a look on www.studentfinance.ie

Advertisement