Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3

Options
  • 31-08-2011 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭

So after 2 weeks of waiting for a replacement for my three year old Netopia Router that had a problem of rebooting itself constantly, I received a piece of junk known as the Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3. This junk disconnects me from Xbox Live totally randomly, it doesn't reboot. When I look at the modem itself it has a green power light, green Wifi, green DSL and green Internet. My Xbox is set up wirelessly if that's of any significance. How can I stop this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I really feel for you, being in this situation.

I'm not going to get into another rant over these "pseudo modems" (have stuck my neck out too far already). Have a look lower down in the forum - I've opened a thread on this issue. Pretty much everything is explained.

At the moment the only sensible solution, is to go out and buy your own replacement modem. Before you do so, search this forum - there are loads of posts regarding the problem - so you are aware of the pro's and cons of going down that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

So after 2 weeks of waiting for a replacement for my three year old Netopia Router that had a problem of rebooting itself constantly, I received a piece of junk known as the Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3. This junk disconnects me from Xbox Live totally randomly, it doesn't reboot. When I look at the modem itself it has a green power light, green Wifi, green DSL and green Internet. My Xbox is set up wirelessly if that's of any significance. How can I stop this happening?

Hi davidk11811
    sorry to hear you are having problems with new modem. This may be an Authentication Timer issue and changing the settings may resolve this. If you give our tech support a call on 1890260260 they can do this for you.
    If this does not correct issue please PM me your tel. number and I can have issue investigated further.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

The Zycel modem is a cheap modem and you can't even update the firmware on it as it locked down by Eircom. I had the exact same problem with my Xbox when I upgraded to ADSL2 and had to replace my Netopia modem with ther Zycel one. I got nowhere with Eircom so in the end I bought a new DSL router myself and threw out the Zycel piece of s**t. It really is a disgrace that Eircom don't supply proper modems to their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I've had the same issue. There are two solutions;

1. Connect your Xbox with a cable
    2. Buy a new router

I got a new router. Be careful playing online with that Eircom one, I got a ban from playing Halo for disconnecting so much. There is no other solution, believe me, I've spent the last number of months trying to find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Hi davidk11811
    sorry to hear you are having problems with new modem. This may be an Authentication Timer issue and changing the settings may resolve this. If you give our tech support a call on 1890260260 they can do this for you.
    If this does not correct issue please PM me your tel. number and I can have issue investigated further.
    Tony
    PM Sent. What changes to the settings do I have to make to fix this? And the last thing i want to do is talk to tech support, when I talk to tech support they have absoloutely no clue what they're on about and they tell me to reset it with a paperclip then connect it to the main phone line for 2 hours which as always does nothing. Is there any way I can get a Netopia router instead Tony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

PM Sent. What changes to the settings do I have to make to fix this? And the last thing i want to do is talk to tech support, when I talk to tech support they have absoloutely no clue what they're on about and they tell me to reset it with a paperclip then connect it to the main phone line for 2 hours which as always does nothing. Is there any way I can get a Netopia router instead Tony?

You change the re-keying timer on the modems wireless page to 9999. It still disconnects ever 2 hours and 40 minutes on the xbox.

Tech support simply are not trained in any consoles because they are not supported. Simples.

The netopia is generally only sent out after a few Zyxels plus anyone you get will be a refurb.

If I connect it via ethernet will it definitely not disconnect? Is this timing out only for wireless?

You change the re-keying timer on the modems wireless page to 9999. It still disconnects ever 2 hours and 40 minutes on the xbox.

Tech support simply are not trained in any consoles because they are not supported. Simples.

The netopia is generally only sent out after a few Zyxels plus anyone you get will be a refurb.

Hi poisonedstream
    thanks for posting timer info,
    However I thought I'd better point out that we do not have any more Netopias ( even refurbs ) to send out, we have not had any for a while now.
    Tony

If I connect it via ethernet will it definitely not disconnect? Is this timing out only for wireless?

Hi davidk11811
    connecting via ethernet helps to identify the reason for disconnects. For example, if continues to disconnect even when connected to main socket via ethernet cable than issue is not wireless issue but either modem, connection, profile or setting.
    Tony

Anyone have any suggestions on which router I should get instead? I've seen a Netgear DGN1000 go for very little on eBay, is it good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Currently using a Netgear DG834G rev 3.
    Doesn't miss a beat...and it gets hammered by my kids on Xbox live.
    It IS a bit dated as a product (now in rev 5, I think), but it is REALLY solid and stable. Plus it is very easy to configure.
    You can get them fairly cheap on Fleabay as well as here on Adverts but they tend to get be very quickly.

The other alternative, is to get an ADSL2+ modem only solution, and configure it with a cracking Router (eg: Cisco) that also offers wireless.
    Anyone have any suggestions on which router I should get instead? I've seen a Netgear DGN1000 go for very little on eBay, is it good?

Thanks for all the help guys. Found an Eircom Netopia on adverts.ie for quite cheap.

Advertisement