Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident on the bus today

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I mentioned in my written statement that I would be bringing the matter to the attention of the Gardaí and afterwards I called into the Garda station on O'Connell Street to see if they had anything to say on the matter. Person I spoke to was very helpful, said Dublin Bus complaints procedures are good, but suggested I should call into the local station if I want to take the matter further. So I'll probably drop down to Dundrum today to see if they will log my complaint.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Hermy wrote: »
    I mentioned in my written statement that I would be bringing the matter to the attention of the Gardaí and afterwards I called into the Garda station on O'Connell Street to see if they had anything to say on the matter. Person I spoke to was very helpful, said Dublin Bus complaints procedures are good, but suggested I should call into the local station if I want to take the matter further. So I'll probably drop down to Dundrum today to see if they will log my complaint.

Fair play to you, Wish there was more people with your drive for justice. Wish i had it. I most probably will now after reading this thread. Had an Issue with the most ignorant man i ever met about a year back. Being a bus eireann driver out of waterford. Felt it useless to complain. I do hope your complaints wont be in vain and someone will actually do something about it in dublin bus.

One of the main reasons why people think they can act like that on the road is because they think they can get away with it. But if people are willing to make legitimate complaints known to the authorities then things will slowly start to improve.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Well done mate...ALL dangerous driving like this should be reported...Ive been a victim of some a***hole drivers in the past and I've always reported these.

I'm glad to report that I've just had a phone call from Dublin Bus regarding my complaint and they couldn't stress enough how seriously this matter is being taken.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

s_carnage wrote: »
    Might be missing something here but why wouldn't the cyclist be using the cycling lane?? Not condoning the bus drivers actions but if there is a cycling lane there would it not make sense to use it? :confused:

That lane in particular is a nightmare in places, it is far from safe to use it at any time of the day.
    Stark wrote: »
    If it's the cycle lanes I'm thinking of round Churchtown/Dundrum, they're usable in parts but in many places you have to cycle on the road because the trees next to the path have grown into the path and you'll have your head taken off by a tree branch if you try cycling in the cycle lane.

http://g.co/maps/zr6b

(On a good day you'll also get a few wheelie bins/parked cars).

Don't forget the broken glass from WKD bottles, the cars parked there (seen an OAP chase a young girl into a house to remove her car, very funny), the jumps off the pavement at junctions when the lanes end for no reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I'm glad to report that I've just had a phone call from Dublin Bus regarding my complaint and they couldn't stress enough how seriously this matter is being taken.

Probably seen this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Fair play OP for taking action and calling out the bus driver.

In my line of business if I treated a paying client the way Dublin drivers do I would be shown the door very quickly!

Management are obviously very weak in Dublin bus and complaints fall on deaf ears, I've made numerous complaints and have only ever had an automated e-mail response so perhaps the only route is to make the complaint in person!

My company pays for an annual bus pass so thats the only reason I would put a foot their buses.

Sometimes I witness bus overtaking manouvers and I have to look back to see if the cyclist actually survived the event, must be scary stuff for the cyclist.

If it wasnt for the fact Dublin bus are a monopoly and government funded that joke of a company would be dust. I remember reading somewhere that the average wage for a bus driver is 55K, messed up country we live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Compare like with like. DB wages I remember on a jobs advert was 650 pw for a 39 hr week. When you add weekend/nights and overtime they may come up a bit. The 55k average probably includes the wages of managers, inspectors, trainers and other senior staff as well as the ordinary drivers.

For the hassle of dealing with the public, tackling Dublins atrocious traffic etc I think they earn their money.

Bus Eireann long distance is where many DB drivers aspire to and many drivers start off in DB as a path to driving for Bus Eireann on their intercity routes.

The plum job is tourist bus driving where the routes are scenic and the passengers are always in a good mood.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    If it wasnt for the fact Dublin bus are a monopoly and government funded that joke of a company would be dust. I remember reading somewhere that the average wage for a bus driver is 55K, messed up country we live in!

<snip - oops, with the rant about Dublin Bus, I thought I was in the C&T forum. Apologies, I've mis-modded :o>

Apologies, I didn't realise negative comments about companies that play a major part in peoples lives are not to be discussed!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Management are obviously very weak Union is obviously very strong in Dublin bus and complaints fall on deaf ears, I've made numerous complaints and have only ever had an automated e-mail response so perhaps the only route is to make the complaint in person!

fixed that post for ya :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Apologies, I didn't realise negative comments about companies that play a major part in peoples lives are not to be discussed!

Apology accepted.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Apology accepted.

Bublin Bus as an entity has really got me riled over the years.
    In a capitalist market Dublin Bus would simply not exist, if drivers/management behaved the way they currently do that company would be wound down within weeks.

If in my workplace a paying punter made a mildly negative comment about my performance (valid or not) i'd be under serious pressure. Yet we have a gang of snot picking, blank expression robots commanding a very good wage! Oh hang on, me as taxpayer is picking up some of this?

Management are obviously very weak in Dublin bus and complaints fall on deaf ears...
    Written complaints about safety made in person will not fall on deaf ears.
    Sometimes I witness bus overtaking manouvers and I have to look back to see if the cyclist actually survived the event, must be scary stuff for the cyclist.
    If this happens again speak to the driver about it and tell him you will be making a complaint in writing to his line manager.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

Bublin Bus as an entity has really got me riled over the years.
    In a capitalist market Dublin Bus would simply not exist, if drivers/management behaved the way they currently do that company would be wound down within weeks.

If in my workplace a paying punter made a mildly negative comment about my performance (valid or not) i'd be under serious pressure. Yet we have a gang of snot picking, blank expression robots commanding a very good wage! Oh hang on, me as taxpayer is picking up some of this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69110344 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

maloner wrote: »
    Didn't see that one but was on the receiving end of something similar from a car driver. He didn't like me and my mate riding side by side (on the road connecting Sundrive Road to Harolds Cross), telling us to get off the ffing road and giving us the finger. I returned the complement (giving him the finger and telling him to f off). He promptly pulled into the curb and cut me off, causing me to hit his wing mirror and come off. I was fine mostly, but much yelling and shouting ensued and he drove off before I could calm down to get the plate. Reported it but without the reg thats all there'll be to it.

Best of luck with it.

Its has happened to me a number of times you know the person giving out and cursing at you. And i am relatively young so i don't really fancy getting in shouting matches with older people in the middle of the road or street though i have exchanged the odd f*** off here and there. But not much. But if some one rammed my off the road like that i would go absolutely spastick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Just wondering if anyone from this parish was run off the road by a Dublin Bus driver in the Churchtown/ Dundrum area today lunchtime? I'll be making a formal complaint and your input is welcome. Driver took great umbrage at the cyclist not using the cycle path, did everything he could to overtake him including swerving hard left both times he passed the cyclist, and when I had seen enough and went downstairs to complain to the driver he told me to get of the fnckin bus!:mad:

Well done on your trojan work.

A youtube video might move things along too.:)

Greenman wrote: »
    Well done on your trojan work.

A youtube video might move things along too.:)

Thanks and in future I'll be using the camera.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 New Haven

RustyNut wrote: »
    I think it's worth reporting to the bus company, Dublin bus have all sorts of cameras on their buses to reduce clame costs and there might be hard evidence of dickish driving.
    Nothing to lose anyway.

I was told by my neighbour who is a Dublin Bus Shop Steward for the drivers that although the garage manager can view the video footage of a driver's bad driving or indeed footage of a driver in breach of company policy, they cannot use any of this footage in a disciplinary case against a driver ... Union Agreement ... Therefore to ask an inspector or garage manager to pull a video where a driver broke the rules or put somebody in danger is a waste of time unless you get the gardai involved. Only then will the video footage be considered for use .... if it does not go missing in the mean time.

The Dublin Bus managers are scared sh1tless of the drivers and unions. Managers who do not manage should be kicked out of this semistate company. Dublin Bus would benefit from strong managers.

PS thanks to the bus driver who helped me with my luggage on the Airlink bus last Sunday.

Advertisement