Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginners programing

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Bit of advice where to start.
    looking at python seems bit easier to get started on and Google uses it for web apps. Not sure if its good for android yet. Java would be second option.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Bit of advice where to start.
    looking at python seems bit easier to get started on and Google uses it for web apps. Not sure if its good for android yet. Java would be second option.

Any advice?

What do you want to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

Firstly a career change to something the is dynamic and interesting. Second I'm. Interested in android apps and their interaction with cloud based management systems particularly in education. I have a back ground in hardware and networks but software seems a better career move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Firstly a career change to something the is dynamic and interesting. Second I'm. Interested in android apps and their interaction with cloud based management systems particularly in education. I have a back ground in hardware and networks but software seems a better career move

If you have an interest in Android then learning Java is probably the best bet. Have a look at the Oreilly Head First Java book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Or Deitel & Deitel's "Java: How to Program".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you have done zero programming, maybe go through the exercises at http://codecademy.com first. It's a quick way to get some hands on time programming. The language used to teach is JavaScript, but what you will learn is mostly transferable to other languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

http://www.adverts.ie/school-college-books/small-java-how-to-program-6th-edition-deitel/841329

I think Python is way nicer than Java though just from experience! But Java is very highly sought after in terms of jobs!

Advertisement