Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search for Meteorite

• 31-08-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭

anyone notice anything peculiar about this photo of a meteorite ?
    its from the RTE website.

0004f007-640.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

That its not a picture of a meteorite. Its a picture of a meteorite STORM !!! ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Judging by the curvature of the 'meteorite' trails I would say it is actually a time-lapse photo of the night sky showing the typical revolution around the Pole star.

open to correction, of course!

maguffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

John mac wrote: »
    anyone notice anything peculiar about this photo of a meteorite ?
    its from the RTE website.
    What meteorite? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

maguffin wrote: »
    Judging by the curvature of the 'meteorite' trails I would say it is actually a time-lapse photo of the night sky showing the typical revolution around the Pole star.

open to correction, of course!

maguffin

my point exactly :)

Calibos wrote: »
    That its not a picture of a meteorite. Its a picture of a meteorite STORM !!! ;):D
    John mac wrote: »
    my point exactly :)

My point too, mine was just funnier or too subtle depending on your point of view :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I reckon it's your typical time lapse photo (around 20 minutes) of star trails and that the bright object is in fact Jupiter if taken in August. It is definitely NOT a meteor streaking across the photograph. Any meteor or fireball has tapered ends when captured in this way in a photo. The bright object is sharply defined, so considering it's brightness, I reckon it's Jupiter. I think the Andromeda Galaxy is the fuzzy line with a star (trail) next to lower-left near the horizon.

Seanie.

Preachin' to the converted Seanie..... :D

Advertisement