Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no pdf recruitment for 3 years

• 31-08-2011 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

was just told by my brother today who is in the eastern brigade recruitment office in cathal brugha barracks that there is to be absolutly no recruitment in the army until late 2013 to early or mid 2014 and that there was only 168 lads last year and that had shrank to 130 after recruit raining so it seems anyone going for the army is going to have there hopes dashed and when i say that i am includeing myself:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 MickJB1989

Is that including cadetships? I thought they were still going to be once a year, so next one in early 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Join the British Army? Better training, better weaponary/Equipment, most likely to see combat etc.... The PDF is a 9-5 job, I'd never call it an Army/Defence Force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 MickJB1989

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Join the British Army? Better training, better weaponary/Equipment, most likely to see combat etc.... The PDF is a 9-5 job, I'd never call it an Army/Defence Force.

Under the new forum rules I think that may violate the no recruiting for foreign forces policy, but im sure a mod could confirm or deny that. Not to mention the fact that many people on these boards who serve their country well in the PDF won't take kindly to being told they aren't soldiers.

I don't suppose it has occured to you that people want to serve their own country first and foremost. The majority of applicants are more than just guns for hire, they're patriots. A little more respect from civilians like us wouldn't go a miss.

MickJB1989 wrote: »
    Under the new forum rules I think that may violate the no recruiting for foreign forces policy, but im sure a mod could confirm or deny that. Not to mention the fact that many people on these boards who serve their country well in the PDF won't take kindly to being told they aren't soldiers.

I don't suppose it has occured to you that people want to serve their own country first and foremost. The majority of applicants are more than just guns for hire, they're patriots. A little more respect from civilians like us wouldn't go a miss.

Seriously though, If there's a recruitment freeze for 2/3 years I would suggest he do something outside the Irish radar if he want's a military career. In case he's in his early 20's he hasn't got time to wait around for the next recruitment competition. I have friends in both the Irish/British army and from what I've been told the British would be my choice if I wanted to join the military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

The PDF is a 9-5 job.

When you say 9-5 you're talking about barrack duty when not on operations or exercises. You do realize that the British army does the same thing don't you? In fact that's what it's like in most armies.

It even says in the British army "Army Life" section of the recruitment DVD that "at home it's like any other 9-5 job"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The PDF is a 9-5 job

Shudder the thought :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

That's fairly insulting to our country, and more importantly its an insult to our soldiers, the very guys who have represented and are currently representing our country in peacekeeping missions worldwide right now.

Re: the recruiting foriegn forces police - I think we should be strict on idiots like faith+1 who are just out to disrespect our army, as much as we are on lads who push the "join the BA" angle.

discus wrote: »
    Re: the recruiting foriegn forces police - I think we should be strict on idiots like faith+1 who are just out to disrespect our army, as much as we are on lads who push the "join the BA" angle.

Well that's just like uh you opinion man......:cool: (I won't lower myself to your level and call you names.)

So you must have all the answers Discus, help the OP out. There's a recuitment freeze for the next 3 years, what's he meant to do? Can't wait for your answer.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Well that's just like uh you opinion man......:cool: (I won't lower myself to your level and call you names.)

So you must have all the answers Discus, help the OP out. There's a recuitment freeze for the next 3 years, what's he meant to do? Can't wait for your answer.......

Id say he can do what he wants, but the rule is no canvassing for other nations armies!! And stop bringing down our defence forces,Because your not a member and have no clue of military life!!

WF

• Advertisement

Id say he can do what he wants, but the rule is no canvassing for other nations armies!! And stop bringing down our defence forces,Because your not a member and have no clue of military life!!

WF

What's that when it's at home? He could join the Foreign Legion for all I care but at least I'm trying to give the guy other opinions than the PDF because of the recruitment freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As far as i know its only illegal to recruit for foreign armies on an official basis. Saying to someone "why not join the BA/marines/french foreign legion" isnt exactly crossing the line and i seriosuly doubt any judge in the country would prosecute someone for that.

I also dislike this idea that joining the BA/marines etc if your irish makes you just a gun for hire.

In any case i went for both the cadets and general enlistment last year and unfortunately didnt get it. With the recruitment freeze ill be too old to join when the next recruitment takes place in a few years.

I ended up applying to the BA and i passed selection a few days ago and im waiting for a date to start my training. There are a lot of irish lads applying at the moment as i met a fair few during the selection process. I've heard of a few others joining the FFL too.

It's a shame that the PDf are losing out on a lot of good young people because of the recruitment freeze but i suppose its the same in a lot of sectors in the country at the moment.

As far as i know its only illegal to recruit for foreign armies on an official basis. Saying to someone "why not join the BA/marines/french foreign legion" isnt exactly crossing the line and i seriosuly doubt any judge in the country would prosecute someone for that.

I ended up applying to the BA and i passed selection a few days ago and im waiting for a date to start my training.[

My point exactly. You wanted a military career so you went oustside the box and applied for the BA. Obviously it wasn't your first choice but in this economy we can't exactly be choosing either. Best of luck with your basic and stay safe Pablo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

All things aside lads if you ever plan to put all your eggs in one basket. Make sure the Irish government has no control over that basket. That is based on my personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I ended up applying to the BA and i passed selection a few days ago and im waiting for a date to start my training. There are a lot of irish lads applying at the moment as i met a fair few during the selection process. I've heard of a few others joining the FFL too.

Would you mind telling me about the BA enlistment process?
    Im waiting on my application form.

If this sort of chat is not appropriate, could you PM me?

Cheers mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭u got banned

Is that including cadetships? I thought they were still going to be once a year, so next one in early 2012.
    sorry for not replying sry from what ive heard the cadetships will still happen but the amounts allowed in will be getting smaller

Oh, em, well he could join the British Army if he felt like it. That's what I did.

I didn't feel the need to take digs at the Irish Army while I was making that statement. And by the way, every ****ing army is 9-5. Except the salvation army, they tend towards nights.

discus wrote: »
    Oh, em, well he could join the British Army if he felt like it. That's what I did.

I didn't feel the need to take digs at the Irish Army while I was making that statement. And by the way, every ****ing army is 9-5. Except the salvation army, they tend towards nights.

Again with the language Discuss??? Can you finish a sentence without cursing and second if you weren't so lazy you'd see I said the Irish Army was 9-5 in my previous posts. So what was your point there?

And thirdly I couldn't care less that you don't like what I said about the PDF.

I said the Irish Army was 9-5 in my previous posts.

The point is that it's a 9-5 job in every other army in the world (when not on ex's/op's), so why mention it? :rolleyes:

amurph0 wrote: »
    The point is that it's a 9-5 job in every other army in the world (when not on ex's/op's), so why mention it? :rolleyes:

Why not is the question. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Why not is the question. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The PDF is a 9-5 job, I'd never call it an Army/Defence Force.

Because of the context in which you used it.

You used it in the same sentence you used to say that you think the DF shouldn't even be called an Army/Defence Force. Thus insinuating that is the reason you think it shouldn't be regarded as one.

You also used it in comparison to the BA, insinuating that the BA wasn't "just a 9-5 job". And is somehow a better choice because of this fact.

You also used it in comparison to the BA, insinuating that the BA wasn't "just a 9-5 job". And is somehow a better choice because of this fact.

Exactly, couldn't of said it better myself. Thanks Amurph0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Your abit too smart for my liking! I bet you wouldn't insult the df to half the serving members out there.

That is basically what you said..... :rolleyes:

By your reply you confirm that you meant to say that the BA wasn't "just a 9-5 job" and that the DF is a "9-5 job"

Basically you confirm that you know nothing about either organisation and thus have no experience or knowledge on which to base an accurate or informed statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

That is basically what you said..... :rolleyes:

By your reply you confirm that you meant to say that the BA wasn't "just a 9-5 job" and that the DF is a "9-5 job"

Basically you confirm that you know nothing about either organisation and thus have no experience or knowledge on which to base an accurate or informed statement.

Everyone knows the Irish DF isn't a 9-5 job.

Its more like 9.30-3.45, or 9-1 on friday...

Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

hahaha this is gas! at least there's a bit of banter though! If you asked any soldier they'd probably moan a bit about their job. I was in british army, raised with a dad and uncles in the irish navy and army respectively. The only thing that makes the british career path a bit different now is the funding and training. You could do 4 years and come out with a tonne of experience,courses and licenses. I have a full H-class license for instance. There's no chance I'd get that in the PDF or be able to afford it on civvy street.

For whatever reason I was given some "time off" :P And have a 203 to go back in which should be cleared in the coming weeks. It's not about being a gun for hire, thats a shockingly inappropriate way to look at it. You have a life to lead, adventure, experiences and all that other stuff that, when your their, you'll wish you weren't, and when your not you'll wish you were right back in it. Live your life and don't wait around for an accountant to make a decision for you. You could be in and out of the BA by the time the PDF recruit again, in which case you can just get on with your life and enjoy the next chapter.

Either way, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

What unit are you in, any vacancies?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

dodgydes wrote: »
    What unit are you in, any vacancies?:)
    Dept of Defiance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

The Minister said, in reply to defence questions this week, that he would hope to carry out more recruitment before the end of this year

Part of his response to question no.1 on wed 21st sept 2011
    "the approved employment control framework for the Permanent Defence Force is based on a figure of 10,000, but the resources, as we have them this year, create a difficulty in that regard, although I hope there will be some possibility for some recruitment this year. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

SIRREX wrote: »
    The Minister said, in reply to defence questions this week, that he would hope to carry out more recruitment before the end of this year

Part of his response to question no.1 on wed 21st sept 2011
    "the approved employment control framework for the Permanent Defence Force is based on a figure of 10,000, but the resources, as we have them this year, create a difficulty in that regard, although I hope there will be some possibility for some recruitment this year. "

how likely is this to happen? and if it does, how likely will it be a new comp and not just the lads who didnt make the cut last time round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

c-90 wrote: »
    how likely is this to happen? and if it does, how likely will it be a new comp and not just the lads who didnt make the cut last time round?

Those who were given numbers in the last competition were required to renew their Garda vetting forms a couple of months ago, so in all likelyhood they would be the frontrunners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rick_M

I have just completed my medical last week and I applied last year but I didnt make the cut after the interview.. they are taking on 40 out of 100 medicals and will issue another fitness test as the last one was so long ago. It seems only the people that didnt get through last round are being called back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nasher2k11

hi i also went for my medical last week in the curragh but heard no such thing as there was goin to be another fitness test were you told this?also have you gotten an email back about the results??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rick_M

nasher2k11 wrote: »
    hi i also went for my medical last week in the curragh but heard no such thing as there was goin to be another fitness test were you told this?also have you gotten an email back about the results??

Hi nasher,

Yes I was told that there would be another fitness, which I wasnt surprised by considering the lenght of time since our last one and as far as I know they added on another 10 seconds to the time limit.

The Medicals only finished yesterday so it will be another week or two before the results.

best of luck.

Rick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nasher2k11

Rick_M wrote: »
    Hi nasher,

Yes I was told that there would be another fitness, which I wasnt surprised by considering the lenght of time since our last one and as far as I know they added on another 10 seconds to the time limit.

The Medicals only finished yesterday so it will be another week or two before the results.

best of luck.

Rick

Thanks Rick best of look to you too,
    p.s i was told that they are robbing 10 recruits for the air corps!

Advertisement