Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillwalking in Glenveagh National Park

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I want to go hiking in the hills / mountains of Glenveagh NP - well away from the castle, tourists and whatever trails there are.
    Can someone who knows the real wilds of the place (bogs, mountains) recommend any parts of the park please ?
    Which OSI Discovery map covers the park ?
    many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Connacht wrote: »
    I want to go hiking in the hills / mountains of Glenveagh NP - well away from the castle, tourists and whatever trails there are.
    Can someone who knows the real wilds of the place (bogs, mountains) recommend any parts of the park please ?
    Which OSI Discovery map covers the park ?
    many thanks

If you phone the Visitor centre out there, they will give you info RE: ranger walks, they can be short or fairly lengthly walks out into the hill, as far as i know they do 1 every few weeks

From what I hear they are very good and the ranger gives an interesting insight into things, and shows you things / places you wouldn't normally see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

OSI Discovery No. 6

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

how long of a walk are u lookin for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Puddles, I want to go out for maybe 8 to 10 hours, off the tracks, up into the hills and valleys where nobody goes. PM me if you like, thanks.
    Homer, not interested in ranger strolls. Am talking about out into the hills, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

may I suggest Glenlough (Port) and then east over Slieve Tooey ridge?
    That should sort you for wilderness.

(although it is not actually in Glenveagh or anywhere near it, come to think of it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I did a guided walk in Glenveagh years ago but realistically you would need two cars to do this walk, if you're doing it unguided. As far as I can remember, the bus dropped us off at the carpark at where you would start to climb Errigal. We then went across the main road and started walking as if heading in the direction of where Glenveagh Castle would be (the poison glen will be on you right). I remember walking for ages but the views were absolutely spectacular. At the end of the walk you will come down at Lough Beagh. There is a really steep decline leading down into the valley where the castle is. You will end up at the opposite end of Lough Beagh to where the Castle carpark is, if you catch my drift. You would need to be properly kitted out in hiking gear as a lot of the time you are walking on proper boggy, marshy land. As far as I can tell, Ordnance Survey Ireland (OSI) Map 6, covers the park.
    Another walk I did last week which I enjoyed more than Muckish and Errigal was Lough Salt near Glen, Carrigart. The whole walk took us about 3 hrs but you could make it a lot longer if you walked further on from the summit as there are lots of hills further on. The views at the summit are amazing and more varied and interesting than Muckish. Although I might be a bit bias as I could see my house from the summit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Slightly off-topic here but can you go camping in Glenveagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Slightly off-topic here but can you go camping in Glenveagh?
    Not that I am aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Sorry, I didn't notice that your question regarding the maps was already answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

thanks for the info folks

• Advertisement
Advertisement