Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can patatoes be grown starting from September?

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Getting into gardening and already grew some potatoes over the summer. they came out great :)

Wouldnt mind growing some more. So can potatoes grow over the autumn winter period? or would the cold kill them off?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

thanks for the childhood memory of a shopping list my mum gave me when I was about 11 ... she had terrible spelling (I'm sure it was a typo on your part though ^_^ )

I'm looking for an answer to this question too and looking on some of these forums I've read that some people are growing potatoes for christmas so I'm guessing that it is possible provided that you really mind them I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not a hope in this country! That is outside in the ground anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I believe I read that you can if they are under cover, like polytunnel or cloche. Have to protect them from frost. If you can get them until early December without the foliage getting wiped out you stand a chance. Even if the frost kills the foliage after that the tubers will be good underneath and you will have 'something' for Christmas. But the soil needs to be prevented from freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

redser7 wrote: »
    I believe I read that you can if they are under cover, like polytunnel or cloche. Have to protect them from frost. If you can get them until early December without the foliage getting wiped out you stand a chance. Even if the frost kills the foliage after that the tubers will be good underneath and you will have 'something' for Christmas. But the soil needs to be prevented from freezing.

If only antifreeze wasn't toxic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

redser7 wrote: »

There lies the problem, people often grow Christmas potatoes in large tubs or old tyres were you can provide some frost protection using fleeces or heaters but undercover of a glasshouse or pollytunnel. Its a good party piece for the Xmas dinner but not really a viable option for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I have planted potatoes in poly tunnel, I planted some queens that had i kept over and had chitted last week targeting christmas dinner, have done it sucessfully for last few years, throw some fleece over them if we gte early frost

Will get enough for a few dinners if frost stays away till late November, needs to be done under cover is key point

Advertisement