Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths

• 31-08-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

I want to do applied maths outside of school and was wondering what were the hardest parts (questions) and would anyone recommend the subject?
    Also a rough description of the workload would be appreciated!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Hybrid_Theory

The questions most people answer are Q1-5 and Q10. Its not a very big workload, would take you around 2 weeks to perfect each question and just keep on revising them after that, however it would be pretty hard to get an A in it if you are doing it outside of schoo on your own, well thats what I found anyway. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

I want to do applied maths outside of school and was wondering what were the hardest parts (questions) and would anyone recommend the subject?
    Also a rough description of the workload would be appreciated!:)

I loved applied maths! Did it once/twice a week for an hour before school depending on how close it was to mocks/exams etc. and that was enough time for me to do well in it but obviously it varies from person to person. I'd also recommend question 8 along with the 1-5 and 10... It's quite repetitive and one out of about five possible short proofs is guaranteed to come up every year, incredibly easy marks! Question 1 seems so simple and usually is but sometimes they throw in a tricky one that can take far too long so it's nice to have a backup! Our teacher also covered question 7 with us but I found it a bit of an effort, one silly mistake and you're screwed!!

I'd recommend giving it a go, but you will have to put the work in if you're covering the course by yourself... I did accounting outside of school and ended up not counting it because I just didn't work at it! :p Make sure you do every exam question you can get your hands on! Exam questions were pretty much all we did in class from christmas of sixth year until the leaving. I had probably seen at least half of our paper before and cutting out the time you spend thinking about the approach to a question usually leaves you time to fit an extra one in!

Advertisement