Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In defence of Star Trek V

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Star Trek V, The Final Frontier had all the makings of an incredible movie. 1. Its plot dealt with one of the most significant questions in human history, namely is there a god/first cause/creator. Secondly Sybok was a great character, there was excellent character development with Sybok uncovering the pain of Kirk, Bone and Spock. Reasons for why this film failed were: Uhuru doing a sexy dance, a space probe screaming and the general poor execution of it all. But apart from that it could have been one of the greatest star trek films of all time.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, apart from all the really bad parts, it could have been good?

Duh! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Star Trek V, The Final Frontier had all the makings of an incredible movie. 1. Its plot dealt with one of the most significant questions in human history, namely is there a god/first cause/creator. Secondly Sybok was a great character, there was excellent character development with Sybok uncovering the pain of Kirk, Bone and Spock. Reasons for why this film failed were: Uhuru doing a sexy dance, a space probe screaming and the general poor execution of it all. But apart from that it could have been one of the greatest star trek films of all time.

Agreed
    Kiith wrote: »

Agreed :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kiith wrote: »

There are only a few genuinely bad parts. The rest were potentially good, just executed badly

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

If it had had a bigger budget and a different director that wasn't Shatner, it might have been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

SFDebris did a great review of this film (well, great in the opinion of many at any rate): http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/star-trek-v-the-final-frontier-review-part-1-5419181

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The idea of Sybok was OK but pulling a brother-of-Spock out of thin air was a bit much. I also liked Kirk taking on God - "why does God need a starship?"
    I actually liked the bits of the 3 ol' lads out camping. I thought that the last scene where they're having a bit of craic around the campfire and the camera pulls back and fades to black would have made a very fitting end to the whole TOS adventure (and in my world it does :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Trek V has one of the best and most mature scenes in all Trek (the scene with McCoy and his father) but other than that it's just a mishmash of half-baked ideas and is a tough watch overall. The worst of the TOS movies other than TMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dotrel wrote: »
    TMP.

Motion Picture was class. A bunch of sequels in that style would have been a bit much but I'm glad we got one at least. Epic.

Star Trek V had some good elements alright, but the low budget, bad direction and shoe-horned comedy make it mostly unwatchable. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

As a stand-alone sci-fi film, it's just about watchable. It'd be on par with NEMESIS, and a good few notches below GENERATIONS. But comparing it to KHAN, COUNTRY or CONTACT and it stiiiiiiiiiiiinks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven’t watched it years, but I always liked the camping scenes and Kirk’s line about knowing he will die alone. In fact, most of the interaction between Kirk, Spock and McCoy was really good imo. Their friendship probably comes across perhaps strongest here than in any of the films. I also liked how Spock finally resisted Sybok - “You are my brother, but you do not know me.” And Kirk’s line at the end about how he once lost a brother but got him back. And Jerry Goldsmith’s score is excellent. So there’s definitely some good stuff in the film, but the bad stuff is so bad it overwhelms it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Poor Star Trek V:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone remember reading about the making of this in SFX a couple of years ago, they had the original scripts and story board, it looked epic and IMO would have been one of the greatest movies ever except for they cut the budget and they had to mash it all together.

Pity they couldn't go back and re do it. Maybe its on the DVD extras (I never bought it)

Advertisement