Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how neccessary are h1 tags in seo

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

The reason I ask is that anytime I use them the big font looks out of place on my site, also my site doesn't really use headers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

techfeen wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that anytime I use them the big font looks out of place on my site, also my site doesn't really use headers

You can use CSS to resize the font.
    h1{
    font-size:18px;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭techfeen

thanks groinshot, for the prompt reply

Are they still necessary though? Its just none of my competitors seem to use them on there sites

techfeen wrote: »
    thanks groinshot, for the prompt reply

Are they still necessary though? Its just none of my competitors seem to use them on there sites
    Pretty sure they are. I think google uses them for keywords.
    If none of your competitors use them I'd nearly put them in tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

ye its an important part of having onsite seo correct..
    Having them correct is a plus plus ..

would i be cheeky for asking you where i should put the h1 text

http://www.muskerrypcs.com/index.htm

• Advertisement

I wont lie to you bro, webdesign editing isnt my fortay ...
    Unless its stuck to a wordpress blog lol

I would suggest rewording welcome.. its doing 0 for seo purposes..
    Perhaps changing it to something more fitting for the site and having it as a H1 tag
    And the lower down one then would be the h2 tag "reasons to choose us"

H1 = " Cork Webdesign Services"

H2 = " 5 Top ideas for choosing Muskerry Web design"

If obvioiusly cork webdesign Services is a keyword and also Muskerry web design is a keyword.. = go gadget go

Thanks buddy, your a gent

PC Repair cork and Pc repairs Cork

I was piss bored.. i ran some software and out of 771 keywords i have found you 2 hum dingers that could easily be ranked for with a little effort bro

The above 2 keywords should in total bring u approx 150 visits a month which is **** all really but with the normal 2% conversion rate thats an extra 4 or maybe 5 sales possibly a month if u ranked well for em..
    Search engine competion is under 10,000 so with you should havent 2 much problems getting into the top 100 yourself.

Cheers :D have fun !!

cheers dude, i owe ya one :)

Np any time..
    Also on another note this shows a point .. remember your comment on the other post about a return on investment.. Pumping money into a keyword is it worth it..

This would i think be worth it, over a year with the revenue potentially, if you could get 1 client a month @ 500 clams over the year x 12 ?

Spending a few quid on these 2 keywords could be worth a gamble :P ??

• Advertisement

ok cool, how would i go about spending money on these keywords, where do i start?

Tommorrow do a bit of market research
    Find the first 5 companies on google and give them a quick call.. prefereably in the morning they have to do research to price it.

The questions you need to ask:

Timeframe, how quickly top 10, top 5 and possibly no1
    How much ??
    Guarantee ??

The third is a trick question but you,ll learn a whole pile from the dodgy ones !! :D

Take notes if u can and come back to me, if your gonna get robbed i have a solution for you, before you go burning your credit card up.

Im very inquisitive as to what these companies would say to the above questions as im in the same game myself and its nice to know whats happening.

PC Repair cork and Pc repairs Cork

I was piss bored.. i ran some software and out of 771 keywords i have found you 2 hum dingers that could easily be ranked for with a little effort bro

The above 2 keywords should in total bring u approx 150 visits a month which is **** all really but with the normal 2% conversion rate thats an extra 4 or maybe 5 sales possibly a month if u ranked well for em..
    Search engine competion is under 10,000 so with you should havent 2 much problems getting into the top 100 yourself.

Cheers :D have fun !!
    Don't mean to derail, but what software can check for keywords?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I'd ditch the graphics on the top of the pages - the likes of "PC repair" and "Website design" and replace them with the same phrases - but as text and as a H1. Only one H1 per page.

The pics are gone, no to concentrate on some back linked, this time next year rodney we'll..........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

In all fairness, how in God's name can you offer, with a clear conscience, web design services if you don't know the basics of SEO and CSS.

Some poor gullible bastard is going to pour a pot of money into getting a site off you and it's going to be crap.

Focus on what you can do - web design is clearly not one of those things.

Thats not very nice cormee

+1 some of us have human feelings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

It may not be, but if you think there's any technical or aesthetic merit to his work, or anything that would indicate an ability to produce a commercial site that follows best practices, please point it out to me.

There isn't, there's archaic, bloated code, and an ugly interface that igonores the most basic accessibility and usability guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fair comment imho. Unless you're planning to subcontract the SEO/Webdesign out, you're just taking people for a ride (aka fleecing them).

• Advertisement

Jesus, I just browsed from muskerrypcs.com to allstainlessexhausts.com and didn't even realise I had changed website for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The web design is quite sub-standard at the most basic level, so it is a fair comment.

Jaysus lads I only came on to ask a bit of advice,

Surely, along with the advice regarding h1 tags, you're open to some constructive criticism of your webdesign skills? If you're going to make a business of it (and charge people hundreds of Euro), it would behove you to seek feedback from every corner.

im delighted with the feedback and help but i just found it a bit unfair to told im fleecing people considering i charged 300 euro for those sites. Im just out of college and trying to better my trade just like most of ye here at one stage

Start off by reading the free Google SEO Guide.

I'm not a web designer and know little of SEO, instead I will contract in others who know what they're doing in place of having to learn to do it myself. I just read a bit so that I'll know if someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

If you claim to be a web designer, willing to charge me €500, and yet haven't mastered the basics of a free document published by the biggest traffic source in the world, I think you're doing me a disservice.

I admire you trying to start your own business, and I wish you all success, but if I hire you and then find out that you're missing fundamentals of web design, I'm going to refuse to pay you and you'll have wasted your time.

Worse, if I do pay you and a "tech-savvy" mate takes a look at my new €500 website and points out these basic errors to me, I'm going to be very frustrated and will probably ensure to steer anyone I know away from your services.

It's far easier to lose your reputation than it is to build it, you need to get a better handle on your craft before you start invoicing people for it.

My €0.02

Also, your Facebook page is a "friend" page rather than a proper Page (for businesses, bands etc.).

This is another major, but very basic error imho.

You need to do some research on this also.

http://www.conormurraydesign.com/

In my opinion probably the best design work ive seen in ireland.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Start off by reading the free Google SEO Guide.

I'm not a web designer and know little of SEO, instead I will contract in others who know what they're doing in place of having to learn to do it myself. I just read a bit so that I'll know if someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

If you claim to be a web designer, willing to charge me €500, and yet haven't mastered the basics of a free document published by the biggest traffic source in the world, I think you're doing me a disservice.

I admire you trying to start your own business, and I wish you all success, but if I hire you and then find out that you're missing fundamentals of web design, I'm going to refuse to pay you and you'll have wasted your time.

Worse, if I do pay you and a "tech-savvy" mate takes a look at my new €500 website and points out these basic errors to me, I'm going to be very frustrated and will probably ensure to steer anyone I know away from your services.

It's far easier to lose your reputation than it is to build it, you need to get a better handle on your craft before you start invoicing people for it.

My €0.02

I suppose i dont think about it that deeply, i am by no means the best designer in the world but if someone rings me and asks for a website, im damn glad of the work and i'm yet to have a dissatisfied customer, in fact most of my work comes from referrals

• Advertisement

http://www.conormurraydesign.com/

In my opinion probably the best design work ive seen in ireland.

Outstanding, i always say, that kind of eye for design cant be thought

Advertisement