Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how neccessary are h1 tags in seo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

techfeen wrote: »
    im delighted with the feedback and help but i just found it a bit unfair to told im fleecing people considering i charged 300 euro for those sites. Im just out of college and trying to better my trade just like most of ye here at one stage

If that's the case I was probably a bit harsh on you, sorry.

However everything I said about your sites is true - they fail on every imaginable level. You are not capable, at present, of producing viable commercial sites, yet that is a service you seem to be offering - and that's misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭techfeen

thank you for your feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrPicante

Yes, they are necessary and point search engines to the post important text. Make the chnges as per above and impliment. Great onsite tool is woorank - google it and include your domain name - it's free - but i really don't know why

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭techfeen

Thanks dude, its nice to get some positive advice :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 karablack037

H1 tags are one of the most important part of SEO which is the header tag situated in body of a website. It can be termed as the most simple form of header found on a web page. Through h1 tags search engines come to know about the site content details. If its used in proper co-ordination with anchor text and title tag then you can even expect increased density of website traffic from major search engines like Yahoo, MSN and Google.

Although the feature of h1 tags is not new and is present since years, but from last few years its significance has grown due to increased demand by Google. It carries much more importance than keyword meta tag and description meta tag. The best position to place these H1 tags is at the header situated above the content. Experts recommend to exclude the HREF links from the tag. When you keep a link in h1 tag, it gives the impression to the search engines that the linked web page is more important rather than the present page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

Groinshot wrote: »
    Don't mean to derail, but what software can check for keywords?

Market Samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

cormee wrote: »
    In all fairness, how in God's name can you offer, with a clear conscience, web design services if you don't know the basics of SEO and CSS.

Some poor gullible bastard is going to pour a pot of money into getting a site off you and it's going to be crap.

Focus on what you can do - web design is clearly not one of those things.

Interesting ethical dilemma: should one offer a service/product at a high price if it knowingly does not provide optimal functionality. Technically the market will ultimately decide the outcome, if people become dissatisfied they will ditch the product and seal its fate. Are you fleecing people, well thats a subjective question. It all depends on how people feel at any given time.

e.g customer starts off wanting a website because his friend has one, customer gets a website just as he wanted from company, he is happy. Website brought value to his world at an agreed cost. Customer then begins to realise that what he originally wanted is not what he actually needs, begins to feel peeved, suddenly the asset loses value in his mind and he believes he has been fleeced.

An analogy is: you go out and buy food from a supermarket, this food goes off before you even get it home. The next day you go to another supermarket and find the prices are dramatically lower, and the food is better quality. You just dont go back to the first supermarket and write off the money lost.

Now the intelligent business predicts this devaluation and tries to set certain standards of quality, educates itself on the industry best practices and also informs the customer of potential limitations to expectations.

In this particular case I have experience with similar situations. But there are upsides to paying over the odds for a sub standard seo website.

1. the customer learns to do his due diligence in future.
    2. The percentage effect of onpage optimisation is limited, I know I have been flamed on here before for making these sorts of comments, but it is pretty simple to see for any experienced SEO that at least 40% of ranking comes directly from off page links, and it is even possible to rank with just a title tag

Read this for more information (although I still think that some of their thinking is flawed regarding Google penalties).

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/perfecting-keyword-targeting-on-page-optimization

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

techfeen you should read up on CSS. You are really producing web sites from the 1990s mate. The HTML tags should almost never be used for presentation, leaving all that to CSS. Your sites will be more maintainable and clients will appreciate you being able to quickly change something for them etc.

w3schools or Tizag are great for learning.

Best of luck :)

Advertisement