Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Broadband to Wi fi?????

Options
  • 31-08-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope this hasn't been covered before, if it has just point me in the right direction...!!!!

I have three broadband(government broadband scheme) via wireless dongle. I want to convert this to Wi-Fi ie. plug the dongle into a router or whatever so that my signal can be connected to various laptop(s) or smart phones etc around the house.

What's the easiest & most cost efficient way of doing this. Any links to products gladly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can get a mifi or a b260a router from 3, if your due an upgrade there pretty cheap if not the mifi is around 79 and 109 for the b260, just put the sim out of your modem into one of them.
    Major difference is the mifi only supports 5 devices at the one time and the b260 about 30+.
    I'd go with the b260.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Thanks for that, do you know does getting this affect how much i have to pay per month or anything. not bothered about the cost of the item but dont really want to pay any more per month.

Anyone know of any other devices to solve my problem.

Might give "three" a ring tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Drop into your nearest store and they'll show them to you, make it a lot easier to return if you've a fault as well.
    If your in a NBS area they only price plan you can have is the 19.99 for the 25GB of usage, you can't get the broadband pro 60GB.
    The b260 is your best bet, how long are you with them, if your signed a 12mt contract your due and upgrade after 10mts and if it's an 18mt your upgrade is due after 16mts.
    There's also a web cube they've recalled, might be released again soon, looks pretty cool for a router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You might be interested in this thread in the midband forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055361790

Some of the major manufacturers also make wireless 3g routers - Netgear for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

You can get a mifi or a b260a router from 3, if your due an upgrade there pretty cheap if not the mifi is around 79 and 109 for the b260, just put the sim out of your modem into one of them.
    Major difference is the mifi only supports 5 devices at the one time and the b260 about 30+.
    I'd go with the b260.

I have the b260 great bit of kit, I think you can buy it on prepay for 99, could be corrected on that. It also has a standard phone plug, I have connected cordless to it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Just ordered the B260a from three.

Funny though, they are charging me €69 for it as I'm "due an upgrade".

when i logged onto their site and went through the motions of signing up as a new customer, it would only cost €39.

Sounds a bit funny to me!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Just ordered the B260a from three.

Funny though, they are charging me €69 for it as I'm "due an upgrade".

when i logged onto their site and went through the motions of signing up as a new customer, it would only cost €39.

Sounds a bit funny to me!!!!!

3 are always cheaper online.

Advertisement