Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skills and Experience

Options
  • 31-08-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey all,

I'm 23 years old and just out of education, having completed my leaving cert and a B.A degree in Computer and Electronic Engineering. I've always wanted to join the Garda and am strongly thinking of applying for the reserves to serve as a stepping stone in this process. The only thing I'm worried about in the interview is life experience. My skills i can list off very easy and I'm very confident with them, but being only 23 I feel that a lack of life experience and work will hinder my application. In college a large majority of my course was based on team work and co-operation, and a couple of summers I've dealt with the general public serving as a tour guide in a local castle. Would this be enough or have any of ye any suggestions for me?

Regards,
    Sean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Yep get stuck in, some full time members are not much older than yourself, life experience comes with age, so dont rush it, you will get there soon enough, like us all, what is the worst case scenario, they say no that's all, its worth a call dont you think. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Veni Vidi Vici

Thanks for your support! Just waiting on the certificate for my degree, have the leaving cert one ready as proof to send off on the application form. Getting very anxious! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Only send a copy of everything, as they could get lost, nothing to worry about at all, just think of it as another step in your life experience. !

Will do! I'm also thinking about volunteering for the Order of Malta. I'm currently unemployed and have absolutely no desire to search for a job relating to my college degree, my hear is set on the Garda and nothing else. Do you feel getting as much volunteer work and interacting with the community will help me in my interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Will do! I'm also thinking about volunteering for the Order of Malta. I'm currently unemployed and have absolutely no desire to search for a job relating to my college degree, my hear is set on the Garda and nothing else. Do you feel getting as much volunteer work and interacting with the community will help me in my interview?

Hey there,

Welcome to our forum. I'm happy that you have chosen this step of joining the Garda Reserves. It only makes sense if you have a genuine interest in volunteer work; community-based work and if you want to go into the full-time some time in the future. Everyone who has only a few hours a week could join up and start gaining experience where possible.

What I have highlighted above though is something, in my opinion, that should be re-thought by you. You shouldn't do volunteer work so it will look good. It should be done out of genuine interest and nothing else.

I don't honestly know that much about the Order of Malta but this forum has people with experience who could assist you also with that also.

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree with you more and i apologise if it looked that way. My heart has always been set on the Garda because I take great enjoyment out of helping other people. As they're not recruiting at the moment I've been researching for so long on other ways in which i can help others and interact with my community. I've friends from my college course going on to find great, well payed jobs within the IT sector but this isn't for me at all. Finding volunteer work for me isn't about "looking good" for an interview, i wouldn't word it that way at all, more giving me something to do in my free time where i can give something back to the community, make a difference and give me the life experience which i can use time and time again to help others. I'm simply trying to build on my skills and experience which would make me a better person and for others to acknowledge that I'm right for the job, otherwise it's just them taking my word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Have you any experience of college clubs or societies?

Have you had times where you had to be a leader in your college groups? and times where you had to let someone else take the lead?

If so Im sure you will have some appropriate experiences to use when going for the reserves.

Joining the Order of Malta is also a good opportunity to get to interact in a voluntary manner with the community. Consider the Red Cross, Civil Defence or St. John Ambulance if any of them are in your area. They all provide First Aid Cover. The Red Cross in some areas provide a lot of support to older people, and this can be great experience for when you become a guard.

Covering major events with the above organisations also gets you used to dealing with people who are drunk/ aggressive / difficult / have special needs / even children. All of these are transferable skills which can be used as a Garda or Reserve Garda, although its a shock when you change from being "the nice guy" to a drunk to the guy who the drunk wants to punch, purely because your clothing.... However I have found a the medical background can be a great for community policing - while on the beat Iv assisted a number of locals, particularly youths, after they were involved in scraps or even got injuries while playing sports - and this has helped improve my working relationship with them & their relationship and opinion of the Garda Organisation. It will also allow you to be able to efficiently assist your colleagues in other Emergency Services, such as a road accidents or public order incidents.

As for life experience, as Zone said, many Gardai are only your age or little older. They joined the organisation STRAIGHT out of school or with only a year or two of non-Garda life experience. Your experiences of college - night life, being out with your non-Garda mates as a civilian and getting palatic drunk, being at house parties with the neighbours complaining, having lecturers who have varying views on life, etc all contribute to you having a massive and varied life experience - that even you probably dont realise you have. Even IT is becoming increasingly important in AGS - you have extra skills in that area. You probably have experience in trouble shooting problems, and seeking solutions in a logical manner.

Thank you for your feedback. I wasn't a member of any clubs or societies in college, however the majority of my course was based on team work and a hell of a lot of problem solving. There was also a lot of work you had to do using your own initiative. There is an Order of Malta branch close to me which I'm going to contact, I've already received an email back from the main branch in Dublin informing me:

"Trainee members must complete a Foundation course consisting of modules in First Aid and Emergency Skills, Basic Nursing Skills, Patient Handling And Structures and Policies, including our Child Protection Policy. Trainees with prior learning /qualifications can be given recognition for the relevant modules. It is also our policy that all new applicants must comply with our Garda Vetting procedure"

I'm really looking forward to it! My only worry at the moment is I was told in another thread that the reserves will soon meet their maximum capacity, and I'm still waiting on my graduation which is in a months time so I've proof of my academic achievements to send off with the Reserves application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thank you for your feedback. I wasn't a member of any clubs or societies in college, however the majority of my course was based on team work and a hell of a lot of problem solving. There was also a lot of work you had to do using your own initiative. There is an Order of Malta branch close to me which I'm going to contact, I've already received an email back from the main branch in Dublin informing me:

"Trainee members must complete a Foundation course consisting of modules in First Aid and Emergency Skills, Basic Nursing Skills, Patient Handling And Structures and Policies, including our Child Protection Policy. Trainees with prior learning /qualifications can be given recognition for the relevant modules. It is also our policy that all new applicants must comply with our Garda Vetting procedure"

I'm really looking forward to it! My only worry at the moment is I was told in another thread that the reserves will soon meet their maximum capacity, and I'm still waiting on my graduation which is in a months time so I've proof of my academic achievements to send off with the Reserves application form.

Don't be holding back based on academic qualifications. They can be gained in time. You should apply ASAP on publicjobs and get your name in. It is highly probable that no interview will be held in your area within a few weeks anyways. At least apply and get the ball rolling, so to speak.

Let PAS get back to you then when interviews will be held in your area. If you are called then in the interim, their is nothing stopping you explaining your situation in the interview, just be open & honest with them and explain that you are waiting on your graduation :)

I am glad that you have decided to join the Garda Reserves & Best of Luck in your application.

That's true. Right, I'm gonna apply for it tonight. Thank you all so much for your help! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement